Router 2 Router

Old April 14th 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Router 2 Router

Hey all,

I hope someone can help me with this one lol.

I have 2 Wireless routers ( WA-4054 )

Now ones already set up for the BB access which has 2 pc's wired to the
LAN ports and it has 2 pc's with the wireless access, but seeing as
they're signal level keeps dropping I'm wanting to put the 2nd wireless
router nearer the 2 wireless pc's and have this router connect to the
router that has the internet access but also give the internet access
to the 2 pc's that are wireless.

Router 1

Internet access - hard wired 2 PC's on LAN ports

Router 2

2 PC's wireless - gain internet access through router 2 that goes
through router 1.

Hope this makes sense lol and hope someone can help out )

Otherwise it means buying sronger antennas and a better wireless
router, which I dont want to do if I can do the above.

Cheers

Old April 15th 06, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey all,

I hope someone can help me with this one lol.

I have 2 Wireless routers ( WA-4054 )

Now ones already set up for the BB access which has 2 pc's wired to the
LAN ports and it has 2 pc's with the wireless access, but seeing as
they're signal level keeps dropping I'm wanting to put the 2nd wireless
router nearer the 2 wireless pc's and have this router connect to the
router that has the internet access but also give the internet access
to the 2 pc's that are wireless.

Are you planning on connecting the two routers with a cable?

If so, you need to do the following...

Connect a PC up to router 1 and go into it's config page

Make a note of the IP address of this router

Change the DHCP range to xxx.xxx.xxx.200 - xxx.xxx.xxx.254

Set the Wireless channel to 1

Now disconnect this PC from Router 1, and connect it to Router 2

Set the IP address of Router 2 to be in the same range as Router 1
For example, if Router 1 has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 then you need to
se the IP address of Router 2 to be 192.168.0.XXX (Replacing the XXX with a
number between 2 and 254) You need to make sure this IP address is not in
the pool of Router 1's DHCP range (I usually set the DHCP range to
192.168.0.200 - 192.168.0.254 then use...
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.10 for static network equipment
192.168.0.11 - 192.168.0.199 for other equipment I want to set static.

You need to turn OFF the DHCP server on Router 2, or it will all go horribly
wrong!

You need to set the SSID and Encryption keys the same as Router 1, but
change the channel so router 1 is set to channel 1 and router 2 is set to 6
(assuming this does not conflict with any other wireless networks around)

Connect the routers together using the LAN ports, not the WAN ports (You may
need a crossover cable)

You will now be able to roam between your routers (the second one is only
being used as an access point, as there is nothing connected to the WAN
port, but this doesn't matter)

Sparks...

Old April 15th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi,

Thanks for all that, got them now connected and working