Windows update server

Old April 15th 06, 11:41 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

Default Windows update server

Hi all,
I've got a home network with 4 machines on, and I was wondering if it was
possible to set one of the machiens to download all the updates from the
windows update service, and point the three remaining machines to this for
their updates, rather than downloading 4 copies of the same data.

All the machiens are running Windows XP SP2.

Thanks for your help!

Old April 15th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
..(.)(.)..

yes

you need Micriosoft WSUS

Ifs free and can be downloaded from Microsoft.

As you say, one machine downloads the updates from Microsoft and then
other machines connect to the WSUS server and get updates.

Old April 15th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Dobson

...(.)(.).. wrote:
yes

you need Micriosoft WSUS

Ifs free and can be downloaded from Microsoft.

As you say, one machine downloads the updates from Microsoft and then
other machines connect to the WSUS server and get updates.

Does the WSUS server component work on XP? I seem to recall it doesn't,
but I'm too lazy to go Googling to check at the moment!
Old April 16th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I've got a home network with 4 machines on, and I was wondering if it
was possible to set one of the machiens to download all the updates
from the windows update service, and point the three remaining
machines to this for their updates, rather than downloading 4 copies
of the same data.

For larger networks it's worth running windows software update services on a
server to do just that.
For typical home networks , not really , and I don't think WSUS can be run
on XP anyway
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old April 16th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I've got a home network with 4 machines on, and I was wondering if it
was possible to set one of the machiens to download all the updates
from the windows update service, and point the three remaining
machines to this for their updates, rather than downloading 4 copies
of the same data.

For larger networks it's worth running windows software update services on a
server to do just that.
For typical home networks , not really , and I don't think WSUS can be run
on XP anyway

It requires W2K or 2K3 server, according to the MS website.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

Old April 16th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Bernard Peek wrote:
In message , Dr Zoidberg
writes
Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I've got a home network with 4 machines on, and I was wondering if
it was possible to set one of the machiens to download all the
updates from the windows update service, and point the three
remaining machines to this for their updates, rather than
downloading 4 copies of the same data.

For larger networks it's worth running windows software update
services on a server to do just that.
For typical home networks , not really , and I don't think WSUS can
be run on XP anyway

It requires W2K or 2K3 server, according to the MS website.

Thats what I thought , but couldn't be arsed to check

Old April 16th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
..(.)(.)..

correct WSUS needs either Windows 200 or 2003 Server with either SQL
or MSDE as the database.

Old April 17th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

wrote:

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I've got a home network with 4 machines on, and I was wondering if it
was possible to set one of the machiens to download all the updates
from the windows update service, and point the three remaining
machines to this for their updates, rather than downloading 4 copies
of the same data.

For larger networks it's worth running windows software update services on
server to do just that.
For typical home networks , not really , and I don't think WSUS can be run
on XP anyway

Oh well, thanks all for the help. It wasa nice idea anyway :-)