Cease service question

Old April 15th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Cease service question

I am currently a Plusnet customer, but intend to take broadband (and
telephone service) from Bulldog, probably during May.

Can I just give notice to Plusnet to cease their service and not apply
for a MAC code, and just take service from Bulldog as a new customer?

My thinking is that as I am ceasing both my Plusnet service and my BT
line and taking a Bulldog line a MAC code may not be required.

Anyone please advise?

--
Peter
Old April 15th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

"Peter" wrote in message
I am currently a Plusnet customer, but intend to take broadband (and
telephone service) from Bulldog, probably during May.

Can I just give notice to Plusnet to cease their service and not apply
for a MAC code, and just take service from Bulldog as a new customer?

My thinking is that as I am ceasing both my Plusnet service and my BT
line and taking a Bulldog line a MAC code may not be required.

Anyone please advise?

--
Peter

Check with Bulldog?

Will it be a LLU line? Not sure what difference this will make......

Normally, if you don't provide a MAC to your new supplier, you will be
without service for an unspecified number of days, whilst the cease &
re-provide orders go through.

Old April 15th 06, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:59:48 +0100, Peter wrote:

My thinking is that as I am ceasing both my Plusnet service and my BT line
and taking a Bulldog line a MAC code may not be required.

A MAC code is a shortcut, not a hurdle.

Old April 15th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Apr 2006, Bob wrote:

A MAC code is a shortcut, not a hurdle.

but equally likely to not be needed, with someone on the phone saying,
"no, we don't need that" and no space on any web form if taking account
of what the OP has indicated.

However, it may provoke the "Which ISP are you moving to" query (which
might delay things as they may try ringing to find out, or ask OP on a
"Contact Us" ticket.

"Have not decided" is one answer... "Moving to Tokyo" might equally
apply, if the customer is getting service from someone else but has
no wish to discuss the move any further with his "old" ISP :-)
Old April 15th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:49:10 +0100, "Jono"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
I am currently a Plusnet customer, but intend to take broadband (and
telephone service) from Bulldog, probably during May.

Can I just give notice to Plusnet to cease their service and not apply
for a MAC code, and just take service from Bulldog as a new customer?

My thinking is that as I am ceasing both my Plusnet service and my BT
line and taking a Bulldog line a MAC code may not be required.

Anyone please advise?

--
Peter

Check with Bulldog?

Will it be a LLU line? Not sure what difference this will make......

Yes, it will be an LLU line
--
Peter
Old April 15th 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

Peter wrote:
I am currently a Plusnet customer, but intend to take broadband (and
telephone service) from Bulldog, probably during May.

Personally, I'd order a new line from Bulldog. Get it installed, and see how
it goes. As you are off to Bulldog LLU a MAC isn't needed, so you will be
without service while you wait for ADSL to be taken off your line, then
handed to Bulldog. A new line means you will have to pay both, but as soon
as your ADSL is up with Bulldog, you can give notice to Plusnet.

It all depends on how long you mind being without service.

My understanding is also that ADSL2+ will be offered to new customers first,
so you may want to wait, however I don't see the wait being too long for
existing customers, though you may have to pay a small regrade fee.

Old April 16th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pollux

In article ,
says...
I am currently a Plusnet customer, but intend to take broadband (and
telephone service) from Bulldog, probably during May.

Can I just give notice to Plusnet to cease their service and not apply
for a MAC code, and just take service from Bulldog as a new customer?

My thinking is that as I am ceasing both my Plusnet service and my BT
line and taking a Bulldog line a MAC code may not be required.

Anyone please advise?

I just did that. Moved from plus.net to Bulldog. Bulldog semed to imply
there was nothing for you to do, so I didn't do anything.

The installation actually happened on the day they said they would
install, so no problem there. However, I then went to check with
plus.net that everything was in order and that I wouldn't get billed and
they had no trace of me moving. They checked with BT and it appears they
had no trace either.

I kept on telling them I had moved and was no longer with them. They
gave me a MAC code(no use for it) and told me they found out I would be
moving sometime in april according to their records.

By that time, I had already cancelled my Direct Debit, so plusnet want
more one month paid, even though I haven't been using their services.

If I was you I would check plusnet have the correct date of your cease.
You do not need a MAC code though.