Livebox with 98?Any experience start again

Old April 16th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Default Livebox with 98?Any experience start again

Gaz,
I don't know what is happening to this newsgroup but my messages are now not
being sent and there were so may repeats that I wanted to start afresh.
I will now give you my last two messages which had not been sent and hope
that it will work this time
Message 1
When I opened IE I find the page is greyed and I cannot tick never dial a
connection. so where should 192.186.1.1 be placed?
When I click LAN I get two headings one is automatic configuration which
gives two options, one is Automatic detect settings and the other Use
automatic configuration script
What is the address?
The second heading is Proxy server.
That is all the settings I can select
Sorry to be so slow on the uptake

Also I can't understand why so many entries appear on the message list
Blair

Message 2
I tried the installation again and got the following fault report
"#581
Network amplifier F5D5000 PCI card/desktop network PCI card has the address
192.168.0.2. This adapter is on the same subnetwork as the one you are
about to install, this could result in a conflict.
Please disable or unplug this adapter"
Does this help you to tell me how I should proceed?
Blair

Old April 16th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
Gaz,
I don't know what is happening to this newsgroup but my messages are now
not
being sent and there were so may repeats that I wanted to start afresh.
I will now give you my last two messages which had not been sent and hope
that it will work this time
Message 1
When I opened IE I find the page is greyed and I cannot tick never dial a
connection. so where should 192.186.1.1 be placed?

It can be greyed out, if you have removed your old modem. Dont worry thats
fine. the 192.168.1.1 is put in the address bar, like when you put
www.google.com so you type http://192.168.1.1

When I click LAN I get two headings one is automatic configuration which
gives two options, one is Automatic detect settings and the other Use
automatic configuration script

leave them as they are.

What is the address?

you dont need it

The second heading is Proxy server.

As long as it is not ticked you are ok.

Message 2
I tried the installation again and got the following fault report
"#581
Network amplifier F5D5000 PCI card/desktop network PCI card has the
address
192.168.0.2. This adapter is on the same subnetwork as the one you are
about to install, this could result in a conflict.
Please disable or unplug this adapter"
Does this help you to tell me how I should proceed?
Blair

It sounds possibly like:
i) you have manually set your ip address
ii) the ip address of the router is 192.168.0.1 not 192.168.1.1

The setting of the manual ip address has probably come from the winxp
network setup cd. It makes the xp machine act as a 'router' itself.

On win98 (from memory)
start menu, settings, control panel, network, select tcp/ip config click
properties, , make sure under ip address, that 'obtain ip address
automatically is ticked', under wins config, make sure 'use dhcp for wins
resolution is selected.

close down and reboot.

*do not* use the winxp network configuration tool/

Gaz

Old April 16th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
Gaz,
I don't know what is happening to this newsgroup but my messages are now
not
being sent and there were so may repeats that I wanted to start afresh.
I will now give you my last two messages which had not been sent and

hope
that it will work this time
Message 1
When I opened IE I find the page is greyed and I cannot tick never dial

connection. so where should 192.186.1.1 be placed?

It can be greyed out, if you have removed your old modem. Dont worry thats
fine. the 192.168.1.1 is put in the address bar, like when you put
www.google.com so you type http://192.168.1.1

Do you mean I open IE and put it in the address bar?. Incase you meant this
I did but no diffrerence

[...]

I did this and the settings were as you stated
close down and reboot.

Rebooted but no diffrence

*do not* use the winxp network configuration tool/

Gaz

What next?
Blair

Old April 16th 06, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
Do you mean I open IE and put it in the address bar?. Incase you meant
this
I did but no diffrerence

Yes i do mean this. What happens when you try?

I am still not certain about your settings, go to winipcfg (make sure you
select the right device) tell me what it says, for ip address and default
gateway.

I did this and the settings were as you stated

Everything is set for automatic?

Gaz

Old April 17th 06, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
Do you mean I open IE and put it in the address bar?. Incase you meant
this
I did but no diffrerence

Yes i do mean this. What happens when you try?

I get" this page cannot be displayed"

I am still not certain about your settings, go to winipcfg (make sure you
select the right device) tell me what it says, for ip address and default
gateway.

PPP Adapter
Address 44-45-53-5400-00
IP address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Default gateway blank
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

Further info
Host Name lAPTOP mshome.net
DNS Servers 195.92.195.95
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS is ticked

I did this and the settings were as you stated

Everything is set for automatic?

Yes

Blair

Old April 17th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair

PPP Adapter
Address 44-45-53-5400-00
IP address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

Further info
Host Name lAPTOP mshome.net
DNS Servers 195.92.195.95
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS is ticked

ok something is messed up. As i said, it is a while since i messed with
win98se settings, so, without having them in front of me i cant work out
what to do.

You should not have any dns servers set, you should not have anything set as
a dhcp server. The router sets it all. Make sure that you have no gateway
set, remove anything in the gateway tab.

Gaz

Old April 17th 06, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair

PPP Adapter
Address 44-45-53-5400-00
IP address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

Further info
Host Name lAPTOP mshome.net
DNS Servers 195.92.195.95
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS is ticked

ok something is messed up. As i said, it is a while since i messed with
win98se settings, so, without having them in front of me i cant work out
what to do.

You should not have any dns servers set, you should not have anything set

as
a dhcp server. The router sets it all. Make sure that you have no gateway
set, remove anything in the gateway tab.

Gaz

I have removed the dns server set also removed the gateway but can't find
how to delete the dhcp server.
It is not listed under TCP/IP properties.
Where do I find this?
Blair

Old April 17th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair
PPP Adapter
Address 44-45-53-5400-00
IP address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

Further info
Host Name lAPTOP mshome.net
DNS Servers 195.92.195.95
NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS is ticked

ok something is messed up. As i said, it is a while since i messed with
win98se settings, so, without having them in front of me i cant work out
what to do.

You should not have any dns servers set, you should not have anything set
as
a dhcp server. The router sets it all. Make sure that you have no gateway
set, remove anything in the gateway tab.

Gaz

I have removed the dns server set also removed the gateway but can't find
how to delete the dhcp server.
It is not listed under TCP/IP properties.
Where do I find this?
Blair

Right, if we remove your tcpi/ip any put it back, it should reset your
settings. For your computer to work with your router, no settings are
needed.

go to the network configuration page, and remove the tcp/ip for your network
card, it might ask to reboot, and then add it back.

Gaz

Old April 18th 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair
PPP Adapter
Address 44-45-53-5400-00
IP address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
[...]

After removing TCP/IP and reinstalling it I got the following details from
winipcfg

PPP Adapter
Address 44-45-53-54-00-00
IP address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server 255.255.255.255

Further info
Host Name OEMCOMPUTER mshome.net
DNS Servers 195.168.0.1

So the dhch server is back
The other change is the host is changed from LAPTOP TO OEMCOMPUTER with a
different dns server
Blair

Old April 18th 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
Blair
PPP Adapter
Address 44-45-53-5400-00
IP address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
[...]

On the drop down menu, where it shows ppp adapter, what other choices are
there? If i remember correctly the ppp adapter only refer to dialup, not
lan.

Gaz