A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Long waiting time



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 16th 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Long waiting time

I have Win-98, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.

I use a number of newsgroups.

When changing from one newsgroup to another I have a VERY long wait
before the list of messages is displayed. As the months go by the
waiting time has gradually increased.

Is there a load of unwanted files clogging up the system? Where can I
go to delete them?
----
Reg.


  #2  
Old April 16th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 368
Default Long waiting time

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Reg Edwards wrote:

I have Win-98, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.

I use a number of newsgroups.

When changing from one newsgroup to another I have a VERY long wait
before the list of messages is displayed. As the months go by the
waiting time has gradually increased.

Is there a load of unwanted files clogging up the system? Where can I
go to delete them?
----
Reg.


Have a read of this . . .

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/slownews.htm

--
Cheers,
Roger
______
Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly
monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks.
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!


  #3  
Old April 16th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,835
Default Long waiting time

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:01:02 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Roger
Mills" wrote:

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Reg Edwards wrote:

I have Win-98, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.

When changing from one newsgroup to another I have a VERY long wait
before the list of messages is displayed. As the months go by the
waiting time has gradually increased.



http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/slownews.htm


Or better yet, use a sensible newsreader such as Agent or XNews. OE
isn't at all well designed for reading newsgroups.
Mark McIntyre
--
  #4  
Old April 16th 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dj Toonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Long waiting time

Mark McIntyre wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:01:02 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Roger
Mills" wrote:

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Reg Edwards wrote:

I have Win-98, Outlook Express and Internet Explorer.

When changing from one newsgroup to another I have a VERY long wait
before the list of messages is displayed. As the months go by the
waiting time has gradually increased.


http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/slownews.htm


Or better yet, use a sensible newsreader such as Agent or XNews. OE
isn't at all well designed for reading newsgroups.
Mark McIntyre


true , or he could start to post in the proper forum for his problem
that he's got , not uk.telecom.broadband , where in the OP does it say
anything about about ADSL/Cable @ the title of the post is wrong IMHO ,
it made me think long waiting time for broadband activation not what the
OP is going on about

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

  #5  
Old April 16th 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Long waiting time

I followed the instructions in
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/slownews.htm
and the problem is now completely solved.

So there's no reason to go to the trouble of changing newsreaders and
teaching myself how to use one or the other. There never was.

When it comes to understanding how the Internet works I am a novice.
On the few occasions I have asked for advice I have found THIS
newsgroup to be the most helpful. I have difficulty in understanding
the advice issued by the experts on the other newsgroup. It's too
technical. They talk down to me. And I am not a member of their
club.

Thank you all very much for your interest.
----
Reg.



  #6  
Old April 16th 06, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default Long waiting time

Reg Edwards wrote:
I followed the instructions in
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/slownews.htm
and the problem is now completely solved.

So there's no reason to go to the trouble of changing newsreaders and
teaching myself how to use one or the other. There never was.

When it comes to understanding how the Internet works I am a novice.
On the few occasions I have asked for advice I have found THIS
newsgroup to be the most helpful. I have difficulty in understanding
the advice issued by the experts on the other newsgroup. It's too
technical. They talk down to me. And I am not a member of their
club.

Thank you all very much for your interest.
----
Reg.


Click, Tools, Options...,Maintenance, Clean Up Now..., Delete.
--
Adrian


  #7  
Old April 16th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Long waiting time


"Adrian" wrote
Click, Tools, Options...,Maintenance, Clean Up Now..., Delete.


=========================================

I tried that a dozen times.
It didn't have the slightest effect on waiting time when changing from
one newsgroup to another.

It was http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/slownews.htm which worked
for me. I deleted all files in Folders.dbx.
----
Reg.


  #8  
Old April 16th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tx2
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 63
Default Long waiting time


Reg Edwards wrote:

When it comes to understanding how the Internet works I am a novice.


http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Search &meta=

Take your pick from a variety of results to read how Usenet works, the
'netiquette', charters and so on. Ignorance really is no excuse.

On the few occasions I have asked for advice I have found THIS
newsgroup to be the most helpful.


Which doesn't mean it's an open 'licence' to post completely off-topic
in a newsgroup.

  #9  
Old April 16th 06, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 52
Default Long waiting time

tx2 wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:

When it comes to understanding how the Internet works I am a novice.


http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Search &meta=

Take your pick from a variety of results to read how Usenet works, the
'netiquette', charters and so on. Ignorance really is no excuse.


What on earth does the workings of Usenet have to do with a particular
client running slow?

On the few occasions I have asked for advice I have found THIS
newsgroup to be the most helpful.


Which doesn't mean it's an open 'licence' to post completely off-topic
in a newsgroup.


If you must insist on policing Usenet for off-topic articles, here's a
good place to start:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....0bcdab84?hl=en

Give the guy a break, blimey..
  #10  
Old April 17th 06, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 168
Default Long waiting time


"tx2" wrote in message
ups.com...

Reg Edwards wrote:

When it comes to understanding how the Internet works I am a

novice.


http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Search &meta=

Take your pick from a variety of results to read how Usenet works,

the
'netiquette', charters and so on. Ignorance really is no excuse.

On the few occasions I have asked for advice I have found THIS
newsgroup to be the most helpful.


Which doesn't mean it's an open 'licence' to post completely

off-topic
in a newsgroup.

===========================================

My question was not off topic - its all about computers isn't it?


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
still waiting for MAC code SoWeezy uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 March 28th 06 09:18 PM
Tiscali - Still waiting for the 1MB unlimited upgrade Tony uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 June 28th 05 09:43 PM
Sipgate & Call Waiting ID Bacillus Cereus uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 May 19th 05 07:36 PM
200+ ebooks waiting four you to download phil uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 2 August 13th 04 08:48 AM
Problem with Broadband router [long] (text included this time!) stormsinger uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 4 June 24th 04 09:28 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.