Connection to router

Old April 16th 06, 11:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul F

Default Connection to router

Hello everyone

I've just set up my first router and I have a dumb question.
It's a Safecom SWAMRU-54108, and as instructed I set it up using the
Ethernet cable. Once it was up and running I assumed I was supposed to
disconnect the Ethernet cable and use the router wirelessly from my main
desktop as with the other 2/3 machines on the network.
Or should I?
What is the usual/ best practice here? The instructions that come with the
router are somewhat, em, sketchy and give up completely once the pretty
lights start flashing.
(And any comments on this choice of router?)
Many thanks
PaulF

Old April 16th 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Paul F says...
Hello everyone

I've just set up my first router and I have a dumb question.
It's a Safecom SWAMRU-54108, and as instructed I set it up using the
Ethernet cable. Once it was up and running I assumed I was supposed to
disconnect the Ethernet cable and use the router wirelessly from my main
desktop as with the other 2/3 machines on the network.
Or should I?
What is the usual/ best practice here? The instructions that come with the
router are somewhat, em, sketchy and give up completely once the pretty
lights start flashing.
(And any comments on this choice of router?)
Many thanks
PaulF

Wired is better than wireless. Wireless has in effect only one port
shared with all those using WiFi so if you've got a 1 MB WiFi
connection speed, 2MB ADSL and someone on WiFi is using a P2P app
running full throttle, they'll get all the WiFi bandwidth and everyone
else on WiFi will get **** poor speeds even though there's 1MB of ADSL
bandwidth available.

Use the wired connection.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 16th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Paul F

Conor wrote:
Wired is better than wireless. Wireless has in effect only one port
shared with all those using WiFi so if you've got a 1 MB WiFi
connection speed, 2MB ADSL and someone on WiFi is using a P2P app
running full throttle, they'll get all the WiFi bandwidth and everyone
else on WiFi will get **** poor speeds even though there's 1MB of ADSL
bandwidth available.

Use the wired connection.

Thanks Conor. So I replugged the thing and now it is apparently operating on
both Ethernet and wireless!
Is this likely to be problematic? I suppose it might help the other
computers (operating wirelessly) to see this computer.

(Though actually they can't. I've had a network problem pre-dating this
installation that this computer is not seen by the others and cannot see
them, even though they were formerly connecting to the net through its
connection. I've been trying to overcome this using info from other threads
on theis ng, but no luck so far. Weird and very frustrating. This was a main
reason for getting a wireless router and it hasn't helped at all.)

PaulF

Old April 16th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Paul F says...
Conor wrote:
Wired is better than wireless. Wireless has in effect only one port
shared with all those using WiFi so if you've got a 1 MB WiFi
connection speed, 2MB ADSL and someone on WiFi is using a P2P app
running full throttle, they'll get all the WiFi bandwidth and everyone
else on WiFi will get **** poor speeds even though there's 1MB of ADSL
bandwidth available.

Use the wired connection.

Thanks Conor. So I replugged the thing and now it is apparently operating on
both Ethernet and wireless!

The PC connected to the router by ethernet cable? You can disable the
wireless.

Is this likely to be problematic?

Not really.

I suppose it might help the other
computers (operating wirelessly) to see this computer.

Makes no difference.

(Though actually they can't. I've had a network problem pre-dating this
installation that this computer is not seen by the others and cannot see
them, even though they were formerly connecting to the net through its
connection. I've been trying to overcome this using info from other threads
on theis ng, but no luck so far. Weird and very frustrating. This was a main
reason for getting a wireless router and it hasn't helped at all.)

Windows XP SP2? Go to Windows Firewall in Control Panel, select the
Exceptions tab and ensure File and Printer Sharing is ticked. You also
need to share a folder too.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.