It began with O

Old April 16th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default It began with O

Few weeks ago someone mentioned a new server service - the company began
with O i think. IIRC they offer 5Gb block of usenet for about 5.
Can anyone recall their name please?

Old April 16th 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marty C

"Beck" wrote in message
Few weeks ago someone mentioned a new server service - the company began
with O i think. IIRC they offer 5Gb block of usenet for about 5.
Can anyone recall their name please?

www.octanews.com

8 gigabytes is USD7.95 - about GBP4.60.

I have used them since 3 April when PlusNet decided to "improve" their
Usenet offering and it has been fine. The retention period is not
particularly long at around a week, but postings are complete - which is
more than can be said one ISP!

For a useful list of other news servers you might want to have a look at

http://docs.newzbin.com/Usenet:Premium_Providers

Marty C

Old April 16th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Apr 2006 "Marty C" wrote:

"Beck" wrote in message

Few weeks ago someone mentioned a new server service - the company began
with O i think. IIRC they offer 5Gb block of usenet for about 5.
Can anyone recall their name please?

www.octanews.com

8 gigabytes is USD7.95 - about GBP4.60.

worth also looking at Astraweb.com $10 gives a block of 25 GB

Also use TeraNews.com (50 MB a day - once-only $3.95 fee, paid in 2002)

http://docs.newzbin.com/Usenet:Premium_Providers

Thanks for that - worth a look. I am also trying out Usenet-Access.com
which allows 2 GB of downloading a day for $6/month, and has both NNTP
and web browser access... They also run newsgroup-binaries.com which
allows 5 GB of downloads a month for $2.50 (only NNTP for that one).

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old April 16th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Marty C" wrote in message

www.octanews.com

8 gigabytes is USD7.95 - about GBP4.60.

I have used them since 3 April when PlusNet decided to "improve" their
Usenet offering and it has been fine. The retention period is not
particularly long at around a week, but postings are complete - which is
more than can be said one ISP!

For a useful list of other news servers you might want to have a look at

http://docs.newzbin.com/Usenet:Premium_Providers

Ah thats the one, thankyou Marty.

Old April 16th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"poster" wrote in message
On 16 Apr 2006 "Marty C" wrote:

"Beck" wrote in message

Few weeks ago someone mentioned a new server service - the company began
with O i think. IIRC they offer 5Gb block of usenet for about 5.
Can anyone recall their name please?

www.octanews.com

8 gigabytes is USD7.95 - about GBP4.60.

worth also looking at Astraweb.com $10 gives a block of 25 GB

Also use TeraNews.com (50 MB a day - once-only $3.95 fee, paid in 2002)

http://docs.newzbin.com/Usenet:Premium_Providers

Thanks for that - worth a look. I am also trying out Usenet-Access.com
which allows 2 GB of downloading a day for $6/month, and has both NNTP
and web browser access... They also run newsgroup-binaries.com which
allows 5 GB of downloads a month for $2.50 (only NNTP for that one).

I just today signed up for the free Teranews service ($3.95 setup) only to
find they place a horrible signature in my posts.
I don't need a huge block, its only for a couple of photography binary
groups.

Old April 16th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Apr 2006 16:50, "Beck" wrote:

I just today signed up for the free Teranews service ($3.95 setup) only to
find they place a horrible signature in my posts.

Have to admit that I have hardly ever posted anything using external
services. Not sure if it always added some sig on posts, either, sorry.
Even ones with a monthly fee might have a sig appended to posts... A bit
of a pain, I suppose, even if it is just an advert for their OWN service.

I don't need a huge block, its only for a couple of photography binary
groups.

I guess the free (trial?) service at www.usenetbinaries.com would not
be suitable either, probably doesn't allow posting at all. Peter M.
Old April 16th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gozer

"Beck" wrote in message
Few weeks ago someone mentioned a new server service

I use nntp.aioe.org , a free news service, but it's text only... no signup
or username/password req.

Old April 16th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Marty C wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message
Few weeks ago someone mentioned a new server service - the company
began with O i think. IIRC they offer 5Gb block of usenet for about
5. Can anyone recall their name please?

www.octanews.com

8 gigabytes is USD7.95 - about GBP4.60.

I have used them since 3 April when PlusNet decided to "improve" their
Usenet offering and it has been fine. The retention period is not
particularly long at around a week, but postings are complete - which
is more than can be said one ISP!

I might go with this Octanews. Can you tell me please if they hold the
newsgroup alt.binaries.photos.original and also hold the uk.games.video*
heirarchy ?

Old April 17th 06, 04:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kal

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:07:20 +0100, Beck wrote:

Marty C wrote:
"Beck" wrote in message
Few weeks ago someone mentioned a new server service - the company
began with O i think. IIRC they offer 5Gb block of usenet for about
5. Can anyone recall their name please?

www.octanews.com

8 gigabytes is USD7.95 - about GBP4.60.

I have used them since 3 April when PlusNet decided to "improve" their
Usenet offering and it has been fine. The retention period is not
particularly long at around a week, but postings are complete - which
is more than can be said one ISP!

I might go with this Octanews. Can you tell me please if they hold the
newsgroup alt.binaries.photos.original

That's in the current group list.

and also hold the uk.games.video* heirarchy ?

The following are listed but any valid group will be added if requested.
Try reading octanews.support and octanews.general on the free server
news.readfreenews.net to see how easy it is to get groups added.

uk.games.video.dreamcast
uk.games.video.gameboy
uk.games.video.gamecube
uk.games.video.handheld
uk.games.video.misc
uk.games.video.playstation
uk.games.video.playstation.forsale
uk.games.video.xbox

--
Kal.
Old April 17th 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

kal wrote:
That's in the current group list.

and also hold the uk.games.video* heirarchy ?

The following are listed but any valid group will be added if
requested. Try reading octanews.support and octanews.general on the
free server news.readfreenews.net to see how easy it is to get groups
added.

uk.games.video.dreamcast
uk.games.video.gameboy
uk.games.video.gamecube
uk.games.video.handheld
uk.games.video.misc
uk.games.video.playstation
uk.games.video.playstation.forsale
uk.games.video.xbox

Thanks Kal. I will sign up today. With only one or two photographic groups
it will take me quite a while to use up 8Gb block. I looked at Giganews and
while they may be the best service on the planet (alledgedly) its too much
for my needs.