Router problem

Old April 17th 06, 04:01 AM
Gar Gar is offline
Junior Member

Angry Router problem

I had some friends over this the weekend and we've been trying to setup a home network so we can play x-box 360 online.We fitted a LAN card but couldn't get the link-up to work. Went to PC World and they advised me to buy a router and try that. I've bought a Linsksys Wireless G (WAG54GS) to replace a BT Voyager 105 but can't get the thing to work. When I first inserted the disk and tried to setup my system couldn't find the router. Eventually I managed to make the connection but couldn't link to the internet. Now it won't find the router again!! Is it to do with the LAN card or is there something else I can do?

Thanks
Old April 17th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

Default Router problem

In article , Gar says...

I had some friends over this the weekend and we've been trying to setup
a home network so we can play x-box 360 online.We fitted a LAN card but
couldn't get the link-up to work. Went to PC World and they advised me
to buy a router and try that. I've bought a Linsksys Wireless G
(WAG54GS) to replace a BT Voyager 105 but can't get the thing to work.
When I first inserted the disk and tried to setup my system couldn't
find the router. Eventually I managed to make the connection but
couldn't link to the internet. Now it won't find the router again!! Is
it to do with the LAN card or is there something else I can do?

Lets start at the beginning.

How are you connecting to the router from your computer?

If you open a web browser and stick in the defualt IP address for the
router in the address bar, what happens?

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 17th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Conor wrote in
:

In article , Gar says...

I had some friends over this the weekend and we've been trying to
setup a home network so we can play x-box 360 online.We fitted a LAN
card but couldn't get the link-up to work. Went to PC World and they
advised me to buy a router and try that. I've bought a Linsksys
Wireless G (WAG54GS) to replace a BT Voyager 105 but can't get the
thing to work. When I first inserted the disk and tried to setup my
system couldn't find the router. Eventually I managed to make the
connection but couldn't link to the internet. Now it won't find the
router again!! Is it to do with the LAN card or is there something
else I can do?

Lets start at the beginning.

How are you connecting to the router from your computer?

If you open a web browser and stick in the defualt IP address for the
router in the address bar, what happens?

.... and the default IP address of the router is normally 192.168.0.1 or
192.168.1.1 depending on the manufacturer of the router.

If this fails, try:

- Start | Run | cmd

- In the resulting black window with white writing, run:

ipconfig /all

This should list (among other lines) values similar to the following:

If the IP address starts 169.x.x.x, the router isn't handing out IP
addresses - in this case, report back and one of us will guide you how to
set up a static IP address to get you going.

The default gateway, DHCP and DNS server entries should all be the address
of the router.

Old April 18th 06, 12:28 AM
Gar Gar is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Underwood
Conor wrote in
:

In article
, Gar says...

[...]

Thanks for getting back to me Conor,

I'm connecting to the router via an ethernet cable to the LAN card.

When I entered the IP address on Saturday I got into the setup but now it just says 'Unable to connect to the device'

When I try and run cmd, I get:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.com
C:\Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Any ideas?!
Old April 18th 06, 01:40 AM
Gar Gar is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar
Thanks for getting back to me Conor,

I'm connecting to the router via an ethernet cable to the LAN card.

When I entered the IP address on Saturday I got into the setup but now it just says 'Unable to connect to the device'

When I try and run cmd, I get:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.com
C:\Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Any ideas?!
Managed to fix the cmd error but there seems to be something wrong. When I type in ipconfig/all these are the results I get:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Physical address: 00-2-44-8F-DB-DC
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.238.201
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

You may have gathered thst this means nothing to me!
Old April 18th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Gar says...

I'm connecting to the router via an ethernet cable to the LAN card.

Good. Check to see that the LEDs are lit on both the card and the
router for the port you plugged the cable into.

If they're lit, do they blink periodically?

When I entered the IP address on Saturday I got into the setup but now
it just says 'Unable to connect to the device'

When I try and run cmd, I get:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.com
C:\Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application.

Any ideas?!

Yeah...use the Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

In the window that now opens you'll have a command prompt. Type
ipconfig /all and report back what it tells you.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 18th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Gar says...

This is the new router:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Physical Address: 00-02-44-8F-DB-DC
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.238.201
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: (blank)
DNS Servers: 194.72.9.34
194.72.9.38
NetBIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

OK, so Windows is assigning it an address as it isn't being assigned
one by DHCP from the router. In other words, as far as Windows is
concerned, the network card isn't talking to the router.

First thing to do is go back to the router manual. See if there's a
reset button and press it. That way we're starting with the router as
it came in the box. Also check to see what the default IP address is
for the router.

Once you've done that, back to Control Panel, Network Connections and
select the Local Area Connection 3 for the Realtek. Right click on it
and select Disable. Wait until it is greyed out and the right click
again and select Enable.

Once again do the previous mentioned advice and see what IP address the
LAN 3 connection has. If the router default IP address is, say,
192.168.0.1, you should get an IP address for the card of 192.168.0.x
where x is anything from 2 to 254.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 18th 06, 10:17 PM
Gar Gar is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor
In article , Gar says...

[...]

Hi Conor,

The LEDs are both lit and are both blinking.

This is what I get when I enter ipconfig:

This is my old BT broadband modem:

PPP adapter:

Physical Address: 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled: No
IP Address: 86.133.60.106
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 86.133.60.106
DNS Servers: 194.72.9.34
62.6.40.178

Old April 18th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Gar wrote in message
:

Conor Wrote:
In article
, Gar says...
-
[...]

Ah, the PC is giving itself a 169.x.x.x address. This means that the router
is failing to supply an address itself using a process called DHCP.

Interesting that it's still got DNS server entries.

- Right-click on "two computers" icon near clock

- Status

- Properties

- select TCP from "This connection uses" and press Properties

- Obtain IP and Obtain DNS automatically should be selected for DHCP to
work.

However...

If the router is failing to allocate addresses, the router's DHCP server may
have failed. So you'll need to assign fixed addresses temporarily to allow
you to get to the router:

- Select Use following IP

IP 192.168.0.2
Subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

- Press OK

Now try to browse to 192.168.0.1 so as to access the router's configuration
menus.

From here you're on your own because the exact menus depend on the make of
router. However you are looking for DHCP Server: it needs to be enabled.

If/when you get DHCP working, set the PC's network card back to Obtain IP
automatically and the right-click on two computers icon and Repair. Check
ipconfig to make sure you've got a 192.168.0.x IP address.

NB: Depending on your make of router, the addresses may be 192.168.1.1 for
router and 192.168.1.2 for PC.

Old April 19th 06, 10:25 PM
Gar Gar is offline
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Underwood
Gar wrote in message
:

Conor Wrote:
In article
, Gar says...
-
[...]

From here you're on your own because the exact menus depend on the make of
router. However you are looking for DHCP Server: it needs to be enabled.

If/when you get DHCP working, set the PC's network card back to Obtain IP
automatically and the right-click on two computers icon and Repair. Check
ipconfig to make sure you've got a 192.168.0.x IP address.

NB: Depending on your make of router, the addresses may be 192.168.1.1 for
router and 192.168.1.2 for PC.
Thanks for all your help Conor. I really appreciate you taking your time to help me out with this. Everything looks to be working like it should!