voip advice required

Old April 17th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jim

Default voip advice required

Really don't know why i haven't looked at voip before - doh !!!!
I am currently on NTL with talk unlimited 24 and 10mb BB ,so paying about
65 per month - ouch
Will possibly be looking at changing to TalkTalk (although looking at the
datashaping and VPN probably not) or
bulldog (as soon as Dunstable exchange is LLU'd possibly next 3-6 months)
It occurred to me that I can knock 14 off my bill by using voip for
outgoing calls (either paying 7 (still 7 saving) to vonage or using some
free voip)
What I would like to do is keep my incoming number on NTL (until I ditch
them completely) but use the voip for outgoing
What is the best VOIP router to enable incoming on NTL number but outgoing
via a voip (or number of voip) ?
I know if I sign up for vonage I would get the locked PAP2 free anyway

Thanks

Old April 17th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Jim wrote:
Really don't know why i haven't looked at voip before - doh !!!!
I am currently on NTL with talk unlimited 24 and 10mb BB ,so paying about
65 per month - ouch
Will possibly be looking at changing to TalkTalk (although looking at the
datashaping and VPN probably not) or
bulldog (as soon as Dunstable exchange is LLU'd possibly next 3-6 months)

Due to be done on the 31st of August. (but only for Be
https://www.bethere.co.uk/)

It occurred to me that I can knock 14 off my bill by using voip for
outgoing calls (either paying 7 (still 7 saving) to vonage or using some
free voip)
What I would like to do is keep my incoming number on NTL (until I ditch
them completely) but use the voip for outgoing
What is the best VOIP router to enable incoming on NTL number but outgoing
via a voip (or number of voip) ?

There are many about, the Sipura SPA-3000 (new cost-reduced linksys
version available) is considered to be very stable.

I know if I sign up for vonage I would get the locked PAP2 free anyway

Don't use the V word, it always starts arguments.

Old April 17th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:39:14 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
wrote:

Jim wrote:
[...]

Yo don't need to have a landline at all. Get your voip working then
you can ditch your landline providing you have mobile phones switched
on in case of any 999 emergency. You don't have to use the same
company for incoming and outgoing, there are lots of companies.
sipdiscount, currently, for example, give free calls to UK geo
landlines once you have registered for a nominal fee. It won't last
forever but there are many other options too. Don't expect voip to be
as reliable as a standard landline though and, of course, it is only
as reliable as your broadband connection. With TW I find broadband
reliability to be very good but I can't speak for what is commonly
known as NThelL.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old April 17th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Brian A wrote :

What I would like to do is keep my incoming number on NTL (until I ditch
them completely) but use the voip for outgoing
What is the best VOIP router to enable incoming on NTL number but outgoing
via a voip (or number of voip) ?

Yo don't need to have a landline at all. Get your voip working then
you can ditch your landline providing you have mobile phones switched
on in case of any 999 emergency.

..............but he does need to retain his landline, at least for the
time being.

Old April 17th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Brian A wrote:
I can't speak for what is commonly
known as NThelL.

NTL is a postcode lottery, just like Telewest.