Networking to a garage

Old April 17th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

Default Networking to a garage

Hi All,
I'm hoping to run a network out to a garage to provide a semi off-site
backup location. Data will be synchronised automatically from an existing
onsite back up. This will be done late at night so it won;t disturb anyone.

The total dataset is about 30 gig in size, but the majority of this remains
static day to day, a mazimum of 2-3 gigs a day being updated is all that is
expected for now, and for the foreseeable future.

The garage is about 15m away from the main site. Currently the only service
running to this location is mains electricity. I am reluctant to run a
wireless network, so as far as I can see the only options available to me
are to run a network cable out to the garage (which would be a fairly major
job) r to get the data sent over the mains conection.

Has anyone got experience of using a mains network in real life - what kind
of file transmission speeds are you looking at? Also, how secure is it?
Obviously since I share elements of the power network with neighbours the
network is not as secure as you'd find with my current hard wired network,
but is it an issue?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for sources of mains networking
equipment. Ebuyer don't seem to stock it, ebay have a very limited
selection - any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old April 17th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

I have used the Solwise PL-14PE units. These worked reliably at the stated
14Mbps. 85Mbps units are available at greater cost.

The information supplied with the units says that transmission through an
electricity meter either won't work at all, or only very poorly. I tried
out of interest to see whether I could get a signal to/from my neighbour's
house. (Confirmed as being on the same phase). No signal was detected.
Solwise supply software which is not actually needed to make the things
work. It does contain extra security should you feel the need.

The best source of supply is probably:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/

The prices are not much different to what you will find on ebay. The service
I got from them was very good.

In your situation it would be the way I would go.

HTH

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.