adsl upload is too high

Old April 17th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Crux Crux

Default adsl upload is too high

Hullo,
I am from India and use adsl provided by government owned telecom
company called BSNL. My connection is 256 kbps. At this bandwidth I
used to get download speed averaging 29 KB at a different telephone
exchange area. Then my upload speed was about 7 KB on an average. Now
my upload speed is too high and download speed is low. When using a p2p
client like emule I am sending 30 KB unless I cap the upload. I get a
maximum download speed of 24 and have problems of long waiting for
download to be active most of the time. Not much help comes from the
service provider. What can I do to improve the download speed?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Cru____x

Old April 18th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Crux Crux wrote:
Hullo,
I am from India and use adsl provided by government owned telecom
company called BSNL. My connection is 256 kbps. At this bandwidth I
used to get download speed averaging 29 KB at a different telephone
exchange area. Then my upload speed was about 7 KB on an average. Now
my upload speed is too high and download speed is low. When using a
p2p client like emule I am sending 30 KB unless I cap the upload. I
get a maximum download speed of 24 and have problems of long waiting
for download to be active most of the time. Not much help comes from
the service provider. What can I do to improve the download speed?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Cru____x

How are the downloads when not using P2P software?

Old April 18th 06, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:32:26 -0700, Crux Crux wrote:

Hullo,
I am from India and use adsl provided by government owned telecom company
called BSNL. My connection is 256 kbps. At this bandwidth I used to get
download speed averaging 29 KB at a different telephone exchange area.
Then my upload speed was about 7 KB on an average. Now my upload speed is
too high and download speed is low. When using a p2p client like emule I
am sending 30 KB unless I cap the upload. I get a maximum download speed
of 24 and have problems of long waiting for download to be active most of
the time. Not much help comes from the service provider. What can I do to
improve the download speed? Thanks in advance for any advice,

You probably should think yourself lucky for getting 30 KB/s uploads
rather than worry too much about 24 KB/s downloads - it's low, but not
abnormally low, for 256 kbps.

You should limit your uploads to 80% or less of upload capacity or better
still set your firewall to prioritize empty tcp acks. This will prevent
uploads from interfering with downloads.

The long delays are due to other people's emule clients queuing you, and
or too few uploaders for the file; there is nothing you can do about that.
Old April 18th 06, 03:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Crux Crux

Beck wrote:
Crux Crux wrote:
Hullo,
I am from India and use adsl provided by government owned telecom
company called BSNL. My connection is 256 kbps. At this bandwidth I
used to get download speed averaging 29 KB at a different telephone
exchange area. Then my upload speed was about 7 KB on an average. Now
my upload speed is too high and download speed is low. When using a
p2p client like emule I am sending 30 KB unless I cap the upload. I
get a maximum download speed of 24 and have problems of long waiting
for download to be active most of the time. Not much help comes from
the service provider. What can I do to improve the download speed?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Cru____x

How are the downloads when not using P2P software?

Very unsteady. Varies between 45 and 20 KBps. My speed tests reveal
upload is considerably larger than download. Results vary greatly,
though upload is always greater than download.

Old April 18th 06, 03:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Crux Crux

Thank you,
But how can I set the firewall to prioritize empty tcp acks? I have
WinXP Pro's inbuilt firewall. Thanks in advance,]
Crux

Old April 18th 06, 06:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On 17 Apr 2006 19:26:42 -0700, "Crux Crux"
wrote:

But how can I set the firewall to prioritize empty tcp acks? I have
WinXP Pro's inbuilt firewall. Thanks in advance,]

You can't using WinXP's firewall, restrict your P2P uploads to 80% of
the upstream speed instead.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.gigajam.com/