I fancy a new router - any recomendations?

Old April 18th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

Default I fancy a new router - any recomendations?

On 18 Apr 2006, "Alex, Boosbeck." wrote:

I'm on 2meg at the mo, using a voyager 105. Fancy a nice router, for
when I go up to 8 - have applied, and live close to the exchange! 8)

I suspect the existing router you have will cope. Lots of them have
a max download speed of 8000 kbps and max upload of 1000 kbps.

Can anybody recommend a good internal model to buy? Can you get
internal routers?

Not seen any. PCI card, yes. PCI card offering router, yes.
(2 cards, I have to state, in case anyone thinks it was just 1)
Old April 18th 06, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh G Rection

"poster" wrote in message
On 18 Apr 2006, "Alex, Boosbeck." wrote:

I'm on 2meg at the mo, using a voyager 105. Fancy a nice router, for
when I go up to 8 - have applied, and live close to the exchange! 8)

I suspect the existing router you have will cope. Lots of them have
a max download speed of 8000 kbps and max upload of 1000 kbps.

Can anybody recommend a good internal model to buy? Can you get
internal routers?

Not seen any. PCI card, yes. PCI card offering router, yes.
(2 cards, I have to state, in case anyone thinks it was just 1)

BT (if thats who your with) will give you a wireless router for a tenner
when you upgarde to ADSL Max. Not an internal one I know, but 10 quid ain't
bad.

Hugh

Old April 19th 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Alex, Boosbeck. wrote:

The BT Voyager 105 isn't a router, it's a USB modem.

yes, I knew that! is the BT Voyager 210 any good?

It looks very similar (both in appearance and product spec) to the 205
that I use. I don't know what the differences are.

The 205 was the low-end router offering from Plusnet when I joined, a
bit over a year ago. It's given me no trouble, really.

I would plug it into my ethenet port though, not the USB.

Oh yes, I think so!

Don't really like the idea of wireless.

I've subsequently hooked up an ethernet switch plus wireless AP to
mine, so I can use either method of connection (and several PCs).

I've never even *tried* to use the 205's USB port. And this chap:
http://corz.org/comms/hardware/route...ter.how-to.php
evidently takes the same view!!

It must be a little bit slower?

Not that you would notice on a = 8Mbit/sec ADSL line!!

You might notice a difference if you're networking *between*
several computers at your own location.

not to mention less secure?

WPA-PSK is reputed to be OK. It's what I'm using. It can be
preferable to having ethernet cables trailing around, particularly
when you use a laptop.

I'd say look at what's available with the various functionalities now,
and compare prices. There is very little cost saved now (it's over a
year after I made my choice, remember, and these things change fast)
by choosing a router with no wireless AP - or one with only a single
ethernet port, etc.

If I were starting again now, I'd buy one of the widely-available box
configurations that has the ADSL port, 4 Ethernet ports and a wireless
AP - maybe also VoIP facility, even if I had no immediate plans to use
them. Turn them off until you feel the urge to use them.

In the end it's up to you, of course, but that would be my advice.