voip.co.uk and SIP

Old April 18th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tollgate

Default voip.co.uk and SIP

I sent an email to voip.co.uk to find out my sip address. Below is my
question and reply. I tried the sip address given - it didn't work. Now
I thought voip.co.uk was SIP based. If I go to my account page, my sip
address is given as my account number (which is different from the
138xxx number I was given) @ my work IP address, ie
. If I dial this last number, my phone at work does
ring. I'm not sure what's going on here. Can anyone shed any light?

Steve

Message:

Hello. Can you tell me what my sip address is please.

Thanks

Hi Stephen,

Your SIP address is:

However you may need to append the port number you are using if you are
not
using the standard 5060 or 5061.

e.g.
:1234 - where '1234' is the port number you are
using

Please note that while it may be possible we do not support SIP - SIP
calls
on our service.

Old April 18th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

tollgate wrote:
I sent an email to voip.co.uk to find out my sip address. Below is my
question and reply. I tried the sip address given - it didn't work. Now
I thought voip.co.uk was SIP based. If I go to my account page, my sip
address is given as my account number (which is different from the
138xxx number I was given) @ my work IP address, ie
. If I dial this last number, my phone at work does
ring. I'm not sure what's going on here. Can anyone shed any light?

Steve

Err, you set up SIP accounts in your control panel and the SIP addresses
you call, should match. ).

Mind you, they seem to be a bit backwards, they don't have caller ID
working properly (outgoing) and of the 2 accounts I manage, they've been
overcharging me since the 26th of march (about the time they managed to
fix my other overcharging problem).

Oh and I've been waiting for an invoice from them for nearly a month now
too.

This is ignoring the fact that my incoming numbers have only been
working intermittently today.

It's starting to look like the only service that works how it should and
how it is advertised, that is flexible and supports open standards is
Gradwell. (Shame their call costs and service rental are more than
anyone else).

I wonder if Voiptalk or Voipfone are any better.
Old April 18th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tollgate

I too use Gradwell (there centrex service) at work and find it
excellent. I started with Sipgate and it's too unreliable for any sort
of business use, maybe just about OK for home use if you don't mind
calls dropping, but this has all been covered here before. Voip.co.uk
has seemed fairly reliable, but I wouldn't trust it for business use.
What I still don't understand is why voip.co.uk don't "support" sip to
sip calls?

Old April 18th 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Smith

Having had a few phone conversations with them I sort of get the
impression that they are in fact re sellers for some other provider

This is false. VoIP.co.uk build, own and manage their infrastructure
called SynergySoft, which is designed to the 3GPP IMS model. From the
diagram, it looks like they've implemented revision 6 or 7 or the IMS
model. Don't quote me on this though.

See http://www.voip.co.uk/tech_about.html

--
Richard

Old April 19th 06, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Zourzouvillys

wrote:

Having had a few phone conversations with them I sort of get the
impression that they are in fact re sellers for some other provider

we are most certianly not. We are afaik the only company in the UK
(possibly europe) to write our own SIP platform from scrach rather than use
a custom solution by cisco, huwawie, broadsoft, or any other of the million
and one SIP solutuon providers around these days.

I do not have any proof of this it is just a feeling I have nothing
more apart from the fact that the guy that answers the phone seems to
be a little unsure about everything.

Find me someone that is an [expert in SIP] and will [sit in front of the
phone all day answering customer queries and has great customer services
skills].

I'm afraid the two are *almost* always mutually excusive. If someone has
the skills to be 100% sure about *all* queries, then they shouldn't really
be sitting on 1st line, should they?

You can call and say support
please and he says yes, you can call and say sales please and he says
yes, you name it and he says yes !!! ) .

Am i understand correctly that you think because we're not passing you
around from person to person like BT and many other large phone companies
do, you think we're a reseller?

~ Theo

--
Theo P. Zourzouvillys
http://crazygreek.co.uk/
Old April 19th 06, 07:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

Am i understand correctly that you think because we're not passing you
around from person to person like BT and many other large phone companies
do, you think we're a reseller?

Isn't it standard practice for any office with more than 3 people in it? :-)

I once had a phone call with Dell requiring a replacement of a part that
was shipped as faulty. I spoke to 15 people by the end of the
conversation (okay not accurate, spoke to some of the same people
several times) but after about 4 I started counting.

One of them said 'Oh God, not you again. What did sales tell you this
time?'.
Old April 19th 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Richard Smith

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
Isn't it standard practice for any office with more than 3 people in it? :-)

More to the point, isn't that what the "Call Transfer" button was
invented for?

--
Rich

Old April 19th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Gradwell

It's starting to look like the only service that works how it should and
how it is advertised, that is flexible and supports open standards is
Gradwell. (Shame their call costs and service rental are more than
anyone else).

/me looks at the work queue, and the hours we've worked this week.

peter

Old April 20th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Thomas Kenyon wrote:

It's starting to look like the only service that works how it should and
how it is advertised, that is flexible and supports open standards is
Gradwell. (Shame their call costs and service rental are more than
anyone else).

There's possibly a correlation between the two...

Even though I use Voip.co.uk for the majority of my outgoing calls, and
it does seem reliable enough for that, I still paying Gradwell a little
over four quid a month for the reassurance of having an incoming line I
know I can rely on. After all, taking the two services together I'm
still only paying half what I would be paying Telewest or BT for one of
their phone lines. :-)