Tiscali

Old April 18th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Default Tiscali

Hi, bro-in-law has just got Tiscali broadband using a Sagem USB ADSL modem.

Having had it for a few weeks he's happy, but now wants to add wireless
so his daughters can use their laptops on the internet. Not too
bothered about file-sharing/networking the household, just separate
internet access.

What's the best way to achieve this? The main PC is a desktop with an
ethernet port and USB ports. The two laptops both have ethernet and
wireless built in and USB, and all are XP home, so ISTM that a broadband
ADSL modem/router/WAP is the way to go. The problem is that he says the
Tiscali setup contains no info beyond login name and password and that
the Sagem connects fully automatically. If we connect another router,
say like my BT Voyager 2100, will it 'find' the ADSL connection OK? I
can't remember what we did with mine but ISTR that it was dead easy ...
but I have only done it once.

B-I-L has little to no computer experience, he's very remote from me so
everything is being done third-hand and any instructions I give him need
to be as easy to do as a very, very easy thing to do.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 18th 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

The Caretaker wrote:
[...]

Tiscali Router setup he

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/broadb..._settings.html

then he just needs his username and password.

Charlie
Old April 18th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Charlie Drake wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

[...]

Slap me sideways, he couldn't find that and he said he'd been 'all over'
the Tiscali help pages. I haven't had time to check myself yet, so many
thanks.

Appreciated.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 18th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, The Caretaker wrote:

Hi, bro-in-law has just got Tiscali broadband using a Sagem USB ADSL
modem.

With adsl routers being so cheap these days, I wouldn't recommend
anyone starting now to bother with a USB ADSL modem - go straight for
a router from square one. But OK, you have to start from where you
are now.

What's the best way to achieve this? The main PC is a desktop with
an ethernet port and USB ports. The two laptops both have ethernet
and wireless built in and USB, and all are XP home, so ISTM that a
broadband ADSL modem/router/WAP is the way to go.

Absolutely! Don't bother with any solution that would try to use the
PC as a component of the networking setup.

The problem is that he says the Tiscali setup contains no info
beyond login name and password and that the Sagem connects fully
automatically.

I'm not familiar with any specifics of Tiscali, but that *should* be
all that you need.

If we connect another router, say like my BT
Voyager 2100, will it 'find' the ADSL connection OK?

Should do. The default settings are usually the ones which are
needed.

My router came with a quick-setup leaflet for which the steps which
involved the adsl router itself were little more than - plug it in and
switch it on.

You do have to configure the PC's network connection to the router
(telling it to pick up its own address by DHCP), after which you can
web to the router's admin interface, and feed it your ADSL account
name and password. AFAIK it's pretty much the same with any
consumer-grade ADSL router these days.

B-I-L has little to no computer experience, he's very remote from me
so everything is being done third-hand and any instructions I give
him need to be as easy to do as a very, very easy thing to do.

It's not as if the boxes come without instructions!

They'll need at least one ethernet connection for getting started and
setting things up. Check there's an ethernet cable included in the
package, or be sure to order one, there's nothing more frustrating
than having all the kit and missing one silly little cable...

The wireless may be a little more fun to set up, but there will be
network access via the ethernet right from the start, anyway. You've
evidently got a box of your own to use as a reference - maybe they'd
be most comfortable if they got the same one? Though I'm not saying
it's essential - I doubt that the 2100 is today's best deal - but at
least it's one less thing to worry about, and you know it'll work.
Only a suggestion - IMHO and YMMV.
Old April 18th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

"The Caretaker" wrote in message
[...]

Quite simple and straightfoward. Tell him to go and buy a Netgear DG834G
54g wireless ADSL Modem/Router. Steer clear of the faster model (108mb), as
it rarely connects and holds the highest speed and 54meg is quite ample.
Plug it in and away he goes. The Netgear will automatically detect the
correct settings and all he will have to add are the username and password.
Job done... Oh and the Netgear DG834G wireless out performed Linksys,
Dlink, 3com amd the awful range on the Draytek when we tested them side by
side recently. So if he needs maximum range he needs a Netgear DG834G to
get it.

All the best
Terry

Old April 18th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Alan J. Flavell wrote:
[...]

Good points and basically agreeing with what we've been thinking and
talking about.

Appreciated, thanks.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 18th 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Terry wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. This has been recommended to him from 'a friend',
so further confirmation sounds better.

Thanks, much appreciated.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old April 18th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

On Tuesday, in article

"The Caretaker" wrote:

Charlie Drake wrote:
The Caretaker wrote:

[...]

I just did a similar job myself, with a Voyager 2110 I picked up at a
discount. That model doesn't even need the Tiscali setup details, just
feed it the UserID and password, it gets the rest through the same
protocols as the Sagem uses.

I would definitely go Ethernet for the connection to the desktop.

Now, setting up wireless for when my brother was visiting over Easter
weekend, that was a right carry-on. We got the wireless connection
running quite easily, but the TCP/IP setup was strange. It may have been
something in his existing wireless setup that carried over, and
shouldn't have. He uses Tiscali too.

I shall have to ask him what happened with his own system, when he
reverted to that.

Obviously, I'm reluctant to recommend that particular hardware. I had
minor problems, but they were only minor because of past experience that
let me figure work-arounds. And neither of us could see just what fixed
the wireless problem. My brother believes Tiscali does something
slightly differently.

Anyway. whatever hardware you use, get it working with Ethernet, and
make sure you set a new password for the admin account on the router. I
also found it useful to set up a "hosts" file on my desktop machine so I
didn't need any DNS working to use the router's default domain name in
my web browser. Have a look at the "hosts.sam" file which Windows
provides.

The wireless network is an extra level of complication that you should
avoid until you have the Internet connection working.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
Old April 19th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

The Caretaker explained on 18/04/2006 :
Having had it for a few weeks he's happy, but now wants to add wireless so
his daughters can use their laptops on the internet. Not too bothered about
file-sharing/networking the household, just separate internet access.

What's the best way to achieve this?

It could be done using the existing USB modem and Internet sharing, but
it would not be a very satisfying or cost effective way.

Without any doubt the best way is a combined modem/router/Wifi access
point, putting your USB modem away as a spare.

The Netgear DG834G is easy to set up and meets the above spec.. It
should find the correct settings apart from Username/Password. It also
includes a firewall, providing an additional level of security between
you and the rest of the world.

Then all that is needed is a CAT5 cable to each PC plus LAN card, or a
wireless card. All can then independently use the Internet and share
files between systems.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old April 19th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

The Netgear DG834G is easy to set up and meets the above spec.. It
should find the correct settings apart from Username/Password. It also
includes a firewall, providing an additional level of security between
you and the rest of the world.

BUT be aware the DG834G is totally unsecure on the wireless side, out of
the box, at the very least set up WPA, turn off SSID broadcast, change the
SSID and change the admin password.

Dave