8 meg, why is this?

Old April 18th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default 8 meg, why is this?

I recently got a regrade from 2 to 8 meg. If the modem/router syncs at about
6.5 meg, then the bt speedtest returns a speed of about 5mbps.
If I get a higher sync, then the speed seems to go down. Is this
explainable?

Here's the modem numbers (currently):
u/s rate 448 kbps
d/s rate 7072 kbps
u/s margin 23
d/s margin 2
d/s attenuation 33
u/s attenuation 38

The bt speedtest returns about 2000 kbps for this.
If the sync gets to 7500 kbps, then the speed can be reported at less than
1000.

Old April 18th 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Grumps wrote:

I recently got a regrade from 2 to 8 meg. If the modem/router syncs
at about 6.5 meg, then the bt speedtest returns a speed of about 5mbps.
If I get a higher sync, then the speed seems to go down. Is this
explainable?

Here's the modem numbers (currently):
u/s rate 448 kbps
d/s rate 7072 kbps
u/s margin 23
d/s margin 2
d/s attenuation 33
u/s attenuation 38

The bt speedtest returns about 2000 kbps for this.
If the sync gets to 7500 kbps, then the speed can be reported at less
than 1000.

I think your answer is in the line which says:
d/s margin 2

This is a very low margin and suggests that your line cannot sustain this
speed reliably. The faster it synchs, the more discrete levels it needs, and
the more it eats into the margin - to the extent that there's more noise
than signal, causing a very high error rate - coupled with a catastrophic
effect on throughput. Is your modem able to display error rate stats? If so,
they will probably make 'interesting' reading!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 19th 06, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

That's about right..if you've only just been upgraded then it'll be varying
to find the best speed your line can support and should settle down..

--
Colin
Old April 19th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"Grumps" wrote in message
I recently got a regrade from 2 to 8 meg. If the modem/router syncs at
about 6.5 meg, then the bt speedtest returns a speed of about 5mbps.
If I get a higher sync, then the speed seems to go down. Is this
explainable?

Here's the modem numbers (currently):
u/s rate 448 kbps
d/s rate 7072 kbps
u/s margin 23
d/s margin 2
d/s attenuation 33
u/s attenuation 38

The bt speedtest returns about 2000 kbps for this.
If the sync gets to 7500 kbps, then the speed can be reported at less than
1000.

Can you remeber what your d/s margin was before you got upgraded to 8Mb?

Dan

Old April 19th 06, 06:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Roger Mills wrote:
Grumps wrote:

[...]

From my modem's network stats;
Rx PDUs 366,796
Rx total bytes 257,792,873 (up time 8 hours 57 mins)
Rx Total Error Counts 47

So, is there any way to reduce the rate at which it syncs?

Old April 19th 06, 06:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Daniel wrote:
"Grumps" wrote in message
I recently got a regrade from 2 to 8 meg. If the modem/router syncs
at about 6.5 meg, then the bt speedtest returns a speed of about
5mbps. If I get a higher sync, then the speed seems to go down. Is this
explainable?

Here's the modem numbers (currently):
u/s rate 448 kbps
d/s rate 7072 kbps
u/s margin 23
d/s margin 2
d/s attenuation 33
u/s attenuation 38

The bt speedtest returns about 2000 kbps for this.
If the sync gets to 7500 kbps, then the speed can be reported at
less than 1000.

Can you remeber what your d/s margin was before you got upgraded to
8Mb?

From my (bad) memory, I think it was 6.
I really should've paid more attention to these figures. But, before the
upgrade, it was rock solid 2 meg with no blips.

Old April 19th 06, 07:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Grumps wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
Grumps wrote:

[...]

From my modem's network stats;
Rx PDUs 366,796
Rx total bytes 257,792,873 (up time 8 hours 57 mins)
Rx Total Error Counts 47

So, is there any way to reduce the rate at which it syncs?

More info; I have a d/s margin of 6 this morning (7:48am), and it's all
running nicely with sustained downloads of 680kbytes/s.

Old April 19th 06, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Grumps says...
I recently got a regrade from 2 to 8 meg. If the modem/router syncs at about
6.5 meg, then the bt speedtest returns a speed of about 5mbps.
If I get a higher sync, then the speed seems to go down. Is this
explainable?

Here's the modem numbers (currently):
u/s rate 448 kbps
d/s rate 7072 kbps
u/s margin 23
d/s margin 2
d/s attenuation 33
u/s attenuation 38

The bt speedtest returns about 2000 kbps for this.
If the sync gets to 7500 kbps, then the speed can be reported at less than
1000.

Your BRAS rate hasn't stabilised yet.

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledg....aspx?id=10537

Takes a while for the line to 'train' and your data rate to settle. Read
that page then power down for 30 minutes. That should trigger the
process again

FR
Old April 19th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
Flying Rat writes:
In article , Grumps says...
I recently got a regrade from 2 to 8 meg. If the modem/router syncs at
about 6.5 meg, then the bt speedtest returns a speed of about 5mbps.
If I get a higher sync, then the speed seems to go down. Is this
explainable?

Your BRAS rate hasn't stabilised yet.

http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledg....aspx?id=10537

Takes a while for the line to 'train' and your data rate to settle. Read
that page then power down for 30 minutes. That should trigger the
process again

So the implication is that the router at the customer's end of the line
needs to be always-on in these circumstances?
--
SAm.
Old April 19th 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Flying Rat wrote:
In article , Grumps says...
[...]

Thanks for the info. I wish my ISP told me this.
It's got a sync of 7000+, a d/s margin of 6, and is currently sustaining
(long) downloads of 680kbytes/s.
Do you think that the d/s margin is playing any part in the line speed? It
was reading 2 yesterday, and magically shot up to 7 early this morning

Does this also mean that everytime you power your modem off (for 30 mins),
then the system will take another 10 days to retrain the line?