IP question: Hosting a Server on a Machine on a Belkin LAN

Old April 19th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default IP question: Hosting a Server on a Machine on a Belkin LAN

Hi -

I would like to host an FTP server on my machine, which is connected on
a Belkin (F5d7630-4A, I believe) router. Problem is that my machine
does not have a unique IP address. How do I get round this problem and
host my server?

Thanks

- Olumide

Old April 19th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article .com,
says...
Hi -

I would like to host an FTP server on my machine, which is connected on
a Belkin (F5d7630-4A, I believe) router. Problem is that my machine
does not have a unique IP address. How do I get round this problem and
host my server?

Set the IP address manually on the computer and set up port forwarding
on the router to the IP address you gave the computer.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 19th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sucuba Dude

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
| In article .com,
| says...
| Hi -
|
| I would like to host an FTP server on my machine, which is connected on
| a Belkin (F5d7630-4A, I believe) router. Problem is that my machine
| does not have a unique IP address. How do I get round this problem and
| host my server?
|
| Set the IP address manually on the computer and set up port forwarding
| on the router to the IP address you gave the computer.
|

| --
| Conor,
|
| Same ****, different day.

Register with dyndns.org if your ISP is giving you a dynamic IP address, you can
ask your router (or most decent routers) to update dyndns.org automatically.
Then to go to the dyndns.org address you reistered to always find your machine
;-)

You will also need to set up a static IP on the inside of your network and
forward the correct FTP port to it (Port 21)

Old April 19th 06, 06:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Conor wrote:

Set the IP address manually on the computer and set up port forwarding
on the router to the IP address you gave the computer.

You mean assign a static IP in the range supported by the router e.g.
192.168.x.x -- not just to any number e.g. 123.45.67.8. ...

Afterwards, I wonder what the URL to the host/server will be?:

- Router's IP
- Host's IP
- A combination of the router and host's fixed IP?
- Combination of router's IP and some sort of port number?

Old April 20th 06, 01:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

In article . com
wrote:
Conor wrote:

Set the IP address manually on the computer and set up port forwarding
on the router to the IP address you gave the computer.

You mean assign a static IP in the range supported by the router e.g.
192.168.x.x -- not just to any number e.g. 123.45.67.8. ...

Indeed.

Afterwards, I wonder what the URL to the host/server will be?:

From outside it will appear that the router is the FTP server. From
your LAN it will still be accessible on the 192.168.xxx.xxx address.

Old April 20th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article . com,
says...
Conor wrote:

Set the IP address manually on the computer and set up port forwarding
on the router to the IP address you gave the computer.

You mean assign a static IP in the range supported by the router e.g.
192.168.x.x -- not just to any number e.g. 123.45.67.8. ...

Afterwards, I wonder what the URL to the host/server will be?:

- Router's IP
- Host's IP
- A combination of the router and host's fixed IP?
- Combination of router's IP and some sort of port number?

The IP address the ISP assigns to your connection.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 21st 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
nut

Conor wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Conor wrote:

Set the IP address manually on the computer and set up port
forwarding on the router to the IP address you gave the computer.

You mean assign a static IP in the range supported by the router
e.g. 192.168.x.x -- not just to any number e.g. 123.45.67.8. ...

Afterwards, I wonder what the URL to the host/server will be?:

- Router's IP
- Host's IP
- A combination of the router and host's fixed IP?
- Combination of router's IP and some sort of port number?

The IP address the ISP assigns to your connection.

That's what i said.

Old April 21st 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , nut says...
Conor wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Conor wrote:

Set the IP address manually on the computer and set up port
forwarding on the router to the IP address you gave the computer.

You mean assign a static IP in the range supported by the router
e.g. 192.168.x.x -- not just to any number e.g. 123.45.67.8. ...

Afterwards, I wonder what the URL to the host/server will be?:

- Router's IP
- Host's IP
- A combination of the router and host's fixed IP?
- Combination of router's IP and some sort of port number?

The IP address the ISP assigns to your connection.

That's what i said.

Was it? Top marks then.

:-)

--