Wireless Network Causing Crash

Old April 19th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RobDee

Default Wireless Network Causing Crash

After many hours of investigations & testing, I've narrowed down the cause
of sudden crashes of my XP Pro Desktop computer to a Wireless issue.

The desktop simply cuts out as if the power supply's been pulled. I've
eliminated all sorts of likely causes (despite error codes suggesting
graphics cards, I'm 99.99% sure it's not anything to do with that - still
crashed after all drivers uninstalled) and now I've reached the stage where
I can actually cause the crash to happen: All I have to do is go to My
Network Places on the desktop computer and attempt to access any file on my
Laptop - bang, not immediately, sometimes it takes a minute or two, but
without doing this the computer *never* crashes!

I have a small (4 machine) network via an ADSL Wireless Router. All machines
have fixed IP addresses and previoulsy communicated without problems.

The desktop machine is based on an ASUS mobo with built in Wireless - I've
got the most recent drivers for everything.

Any ideas as to what to do next?

Rob

Old April 19th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

RobDee wrote:

[...]

Not sure if this will help, but I had a similar situation with my Samba
network.

I could connect from my Linux box to a Windows one fine. I could connect
from my Windows laptop to the Windows desktop and vice versa fine. As soon
as I went to My Network Places on the Windows desktop, and tried to access
the shared folder on the Linux one, the Windows box would blue screen.

I never did get to the bottom of it. The Linux distro I was using was only
as a trial. I eventually installed another Linux variant, set up the
network again, and all has been OK since.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old April 20th 06, 01:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
linker3000

RobDee wrote:
[...]

Faulty RAM can do this - I have just replaced a 512MB DDR module in a
system (XP Home) that would sit happily idle for days but if you fired
up any apps it would drop stone dead without warning. Strangely enough,
booting a diagnostics CD and running memtest would also work fine and
pass the RAM.
Old April 20th 06, 08:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Rance

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 RobDee wrote:

After many hours of investigations & testing, I've narrowed down the cause
of sudden crashes of my XP Pro Desktop computer to a Wireless issue.

The desktop simply cuts out as if the power supply's been pulled. I've
eliminated all sorts of likely causes (despite error codes suggesting
graphics cards, I'm 99.99% sure it's not anything to do with that - still
crashed after all drivers uninstalled) and now I've reached the stage where
I can actually cause the crash to happen: All I have to do is go to My
Network Places on the desktop computer and attempt to access any file on my
Laptop - bang, not immediately, sometimes it takes a minute or two, but
without doing this the computer *never* crashes!

Sometimes it's something completely unrelated which causes these
mysterious crashes. I have a computer with an Abit motherboard and that
began to turn itself off as though the power lead had been pulled.
Turned out that the PSU was failing. Replaced it and never had any more
problems.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old April 21st 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
RobDee

"RobDee" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to all respondents - some very useful comments / suggestions.

As it turns out, even after a complete reinstall of XP Pro, the problem
wouldn't go away. This computer runs perfectly and even connects to the
network via cable without problems. When I open a window to the network via
wireless however, it crashes very soon after.
An interesting problem, but I don't have time to mess around with it any
longer. I installed a PCI wireless card and that works fine.
Conclusion: Obviously directly related to the Asus onboard wireless (which
as I said, has worked perfectly well until recently).

Rob