Pipex not connecting/very slow

Old April 20th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gozer the Destructor

Default Pipex not connecting/very slow

Hi there, I've just had my Pipex account activated yesterday (19th April)
and I'm getting very poor connection. I have the latest firmware on my
router, D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL Modem/Wireless Router.

My DSL stats a

Pipex Max (up to 8Meg)
DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate 448 Kbps
Downstream Rate 5888 Kbps
US Margin 25
DS Margin 2
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 40
US Line Attenuation 46
Path Mode Fast Path

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

Any ideas?

Old April 20th 06, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Gozer the Destructor wrote:
Hi there, I've just had my Pipex account activated yesterday (19th April)
and I'm getting very poor connection.

I refer you to the answer you received to the post you made yesterday
on this subject.

--
Mark
Old April 20th 06, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

On Thursday, in article
"Gozer the Destructor" wrote:

Hi there, I've just had my Pipex account activated yesterday (19th April)
and I'm getting very poor connection. I have the latest firmware on my
router, D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL Modem/Wireless Router.

My DSL stats a

Pipex Max (up to 8Meg)
DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate 448 Kbps
Downstream Rate 5888 Kbps
US Margin 25
DS Margin 2
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 40
US Line Attenuation 46
Path Mode Fast Path

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

Any ideas?

You're limited by your phone line -- and it looks as if the speed the
modem is trying to run at is a bit high, hence the low noise margin,
which could lead to data errors and retransmission and a reduced
effective speed.

I must admit I wonder how these line upgrades interact with contention
and the datalinks from the exchange to the ISPs. I'm on a quite low
speed, so I'd expect to see some increase, but if I were on 2 Mbs I'd
be less sure.

Oh dear, more bloody-huge web pages... And web servers seem to be the
common bottleneck.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."
Old April 20th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

David G. Bell wrote:

I must admit I wonder how these line upgrades interact with contention
and the datalinks from the exchange to the ISPs. I'm on a quite low
speed, so I'd expect to see some increase, but if I were on 2 Mbs I'd
be less sure.

If this is correct - unfairly, but then I may be misinterpreting it.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2622

Andy.