Sipgate - SMS Problem - Not much help from Customer Services

Old April 20th 06, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

Default Sipgate - SMS Problem - Not much help from Customer Services

Hello.

Some of you may remember that I had a problem sending SMS from my
Sipgate web pages to Spanish mobiles on the Movistar network, whilst
it seems SMS to Vodafone Spain work OK.

Well I lodged a ticket and despite a bit of ineffective help it has
all gone quiet not, even though I have demonstrated the problem to
them. Even a response to say that the solution is out of their hands
would be something.

I guess this is 'normal' judging by the comments made by several folk
in this group and the only thing keeping me from moving to another
provider is an excellent geographical number I got because I was the
first applicant for my virtual exchange.

I gather from another thread that number portability is possible with
VOIP and as soon as I find out how to do this, I'm off.

I can't be bothered with an organisation that ignores a definite
problem despite being provided with detailed fault finding.

Dukat.

Old April 20th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Gul Dukat" wrote in message
idual.de
Hello.

Some of you may remember that I had a problem sending SMS
from my Sipgate web pages to Spanish mobiles on the
Movistar network, whilst it seems SMS to Vodafone Spain
work OK.

Well I lodged a ticket and despite a bit of ineffective
help it has all gone quiet not, even though I have
demonstrated the problem to them. Even a response to say
that the solution is out of their hands would be
something.

If it works to one foreign network but not another, surely this indicates
a problem with that network..? Have you asked Movistar why it doesn't work
to them..?

I agree you should have had a better response though, but it does seem to
me that the problem *isn't* with Sipgate. How many times have you asked,
just out of interest..?

I guess this is 'normal' judging by the comments made by
several folk in this group and the only thing keeping me
from moving to another provider is an excellent
geographical number I got because I was the first
applicant for my virtual exchange.

I gather from another thread that number portability is
possible with VOIP and as soon as I find out how to do
this, I'm off.

It's only possible to port to some providers (such as Gradwell) and then
only with certain number ranges such as London 020. Unless you are
prepared to pay for call diversion.

I can't be bothered with an organisation that ignores a
definite problem despite being provided with detailed
fault finding.

Would you care to elaborate..? How many times have you requested help..?
One email can go missing, but if you have asked 10 times that's a
different matter.

Ivor

Old April 20th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:00:22 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Gul Dukat" wrote in message
vidual.de
Hello.

Some of you may remember that I had a problem sending SMS
from my Sipgate web pages to Spanish mobiles on the
Movistar network, whilst it seems SMS to Vodafone Spain
work OK.

Well I lodged a ticket and despite a bit of ineffective
help it has all gone quiet not, even though I have
demonstrated the problem to them. Even a response to say
that the solution is out of their hands would be
something.

If it works to one foreign network but not another, surely this indicates
a problem with that network..? Have you asked Movistar why it doesn't work
to them..?

I agree you should have had a better response though, but it does seem to
me that the problem *isn't* with Sipgate. How many times have you asked,
just out of interest..?

Regardless as to where we might speculate the fault lies, he's a
customer of Sipgate so they are the correct point of contact for him
to report any problems. Only Sipgate have the ability to trace what
initially happened to the message in their network when it was sent.

Chris
Old April 20th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

wrote:

If it works to one foreign network but not another, surely this indicates
a problem with that network..? Have you asked Movistar why it doesn't work
to them..?

How's your Spanish? Technical enough to formulate a technical question
and understand a technical reply? Thought not.

I agree you should have had a better response though, but it does seem to
me that the problem *isn't* with Sipgate. How many times have you asked,
just out of interest..?

I have exchanged 7 ticketed messages with support. Now they seem to
have lost interest.

It's only possible to port to some providers (such as Gradwell) and then
only with certain number ranges such as London 020. Unless you are
prepared to pay for call diversion.

I will be looking into this.

Would you care to elaborate..? How many times have you requested help..?
One email can go missing, but if you have asked 10 times that's a
different matter.

I have answered this question above. As a later poster has stated,
this is a Sipgate problem as I am able to send SMS to Voda Es by any
other means. I'm not too worried that there is a technical issue but
rather that Sipgate can't or won't take remedial action and seem to
have lost interest in the problem because there isn't a quick fix.

I is well documented in this group Ivor, that you are an ardent
supporter of Sipgate. Perhaps just for once you will consider that
they do have some failings.

Dukat.

Old April 20th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:06:46 +0100, Chris Blunt
wrote:

Regardless as to where we might speculate the fault lies, he's a
customer of Sipgate so they are the correct point of contact for him
to report any problems. Only Sipgate have the ability to trace what
initially happened to the message in their network when it was sent.

Thanks for this Chris. The issue is that pressing the send button on
the web page rejects the message immediately stating that it is not a
valid number. I have tried using both the 0034 and +34 prefix but both
fail in the same manner.

This applies to both +34 650 and +34 649 prefixes, both of which are
Movistar network in Spain. A message sent to a +34 617 or +34 627
prefix, which is Vodafone Spain is instantly accepted and is
delivered. All mobile prefixes in Spain start with 6.

This looks to me like a parsing error in the web page script which
Sipgate appear unwilling to investigate or rectify.

Dukat.

Old April 20th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

wrote:

[...]

I get the same result when sending to +34650 numbers.

I notice Sipgate's help page has the following to say about SMS:

"2. To what countries may I send an SMS?
You may send an SMS to any UK mobile and almost all foreign networks.
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that foreign SMS systems will
always work."

Perhaps Sipgate just don't support sending of SMS to Moviestar
numbers. You'd have thought they would be able to tell you in advance
if that were the case, or else provide a more meaningful error
message.

Chris
Old April 20th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:56:12 +0100, Chris Blunt
wrote:

I get the same result when sending to +34650 numbers.

Thanks for that Chris. At least that indicates that it isn't my fault
:-)

Perhaps Sipgate just don't support sending of SMS to Moviestar
numbers. You'd have thought they would be able to tell you in advance
if that were the case, or else provide a more meaningful error
message.

You are most likely right. I just wish the guy at CS who was dealing
with my ticket had been able to establish that before 'giving up' on
my case.

Many thanks,

Dukat.

Old April 20th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gul Dukat

On 20 Apr 2006 12:43:40 -0700, "paul123" wrote:

If you're using a multi-account device (gxp2000, asterisk, avm router
etc), you could keep the number just for incoming and still change to
another provider for outgoing. If not....

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. I'm using a self unlocked PAP2 so I
can configure one line for outgoing and one line for incoming calls.
I'm actually going over to Spain on Saturday, so will look at another
provider when I get back.

On the SMS thing - is it possible that it is certain prefixes that
don't work as opposed to Movistar? If you want to text me on my, or my
wife's Spanish mobiles (610 or 629 prefixes), let me know. They are
also vodafones, but as I mentioned in a previous thread the 629 number
was originally Movistar, but is now a vodafone number.

You could be right, it could be prefix specific rather than network. I
know a few friends on Movistar who have different prefixes and whilst
I'm over, I'll arrange to do a few tests with them when I get back to
UK. It could simply be that Sipgate haven't programmed the 649 and 650
prefixes in their system although that would be poor as they have been
in use for at least a couple of years.

Many thanks for all the help.

Dukat.

Old April 20th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

oh, and as a general guide as to which number belongs to which mobile
operator:
http://al3xweb.com/Varios1/Prefijos.htm

Old April 21st 06, 01:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Gul Dukat" wrote in message
idual.de

[snip]

I is well documented in this group Ivor, that you are an
ardent supporter of Sipgate. Perhaps just for once you
will consider that they do have some failings.

Indeed they do, but if the fault is elsewhere, such as somewhere in one of
the Spanish systems, it's hardly their fault is it, although I agree you
should have been better informed.

Ivor