NAS Security within a home network?

Old April 20th 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tom Walker

Default NAS Security within a home network?

I've just added a Buffalo 250gb LinkStation to one of the ethernet ports
on my Belkin ADSL Modem/Router (ethernet + wireless). Plan to use it as
additional storage and to back some of the data from a couple of PCs.

How can I check/ensure that the LinkStation is not visible/accessible
from the Internet?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tom Walker
Old April 20th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Tom Walker wrote:
I've just added a Buffalo 250gb LinkStation to one of the ethernet
ports on my Belkin ADSL Modem/Router (ethernet + wireless). Plan to
use it as additional storage and to back some of the data from a
couple of PCs.
How can I check/ensure that the LinkStation is not visible/accessible
from the Internet?

It would only be accessible if you set up a rule to allow and forward
traffic to it on your router's firewall , or your PC has been compromised
and they are using that to access it

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk