Talk Talk and Usenet

Old April 20th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

Default Talk Talk and Usenet

In an earlier thread there were questions raised about whether Talk Talk had
a Usenet. This is from them:

Thank you for your email.
I am sorry for the delay in replying.
I can confirm that unfortunately we do not have a news server.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards

TalkTalk
Correspondence Department

--
Keith Willcocks

Old April 20th 06, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Apr 2006, "Keith Willcocks" wrote:

I can confirm that unfortunately we do not have a news server.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Probably more important is whether they actually *block* or slow the
traffic from any external news servers. Not having their own is not
all that uncommon. Eclipse didn't have one some years ago, and now,
on their cheaper accounts, don't provide access to whatever services
they "buy in", and there's a difference between not having one which
is merely inconvenient - for text only, news.individual.net is often
recommended - I use Clara news + mail at 9.99/year - but for binary,
Giganews, etc, etc, etc from a once-only fee of $3.95 to TeraNews (a
limit of 50 MB a day) to $6 a month for usenet-access.com (up to 2GB
a day) - and *blocking /disrupting /slowing the service* bought from
some external news provider. Peter M.
Old April 20th 06, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh poster:
[...]

When I was with TalkTalk the end of December 2004 through to beginning of
March 2005, they had a news server then, but it was unreliable, so used to
use individual.net

Old April 20th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tad Confused

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message
In an earlier thread there were questions raised about whether Talk Talk

had
a Usenet. This is from them:

There are loads of free newservers you can use, most of them
are chock a block with porn, but you can just turn a blind eye to it..

Old April 21st 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SoWeezy

In an earlier thread there were questions raised about whether Talk
Talk had
a Usenet. This is from them:

Thank you for your email.
I am sorry for the delay in replying.
I can confirm that unfortunately we do not have a news server.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

speaks volumes about the level of service you get...

they do offer a usenet service (I'm using it now, but not for much
longer !!!) but it's not very reliable and very slow considering it's
text only groups

Old April 23rd 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Moore

"Keith Willcocks" wrote in message
In an earlier thread there were questions raised about whether Talk Talk
had
a Usenet. This is from them:

Thank you for your email.
I am sorry for the delay in replying.
I can confirm that unfortunately we do not have a news server.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards

TalkTalk
Correspondence Department

--
Keith Willcocks

Thanks for the reply Keith, it's good when ISPs are upfront and honest about
their service.

However, you could have done me a favour before I signed up and told me the
rest of your service is ****ing gash?

Best regards,

Graham

Old April 23rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 23 Apr 2006, "Graham Moore" wrote:

Regards

TalkTalk
Correspondence Department

--
Keith Willcocks

Thanks for the reply Keith, it's good when ISPs are upfront and honest about
their service.

However, you could have done me a favour before I signed up and told me the
rest of your service is ****ing gash?

I think you're shooting the messenger for delivering TalkTalk's message...
(It will cost you as much as the comment above, a few moments at keyboard!)

Oh, and for what it's worth, did you do two minutes of "research" before you
signed up ? What posts did you put in this newsgroup for views on TT, and
what websites did you check for positive or negative comments ? Peter.
Old April 24th 06, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Moore

"poster" wrote in message
On 23 Apr 2006, "Graham Moore" wrote:

Regards

TalkTalk
Correspondence Department

--
Keith Willcocks

Thanks for the reply Keith, it's good when ISPs are upfront and honest
about
their service.

However, you could have done me a favour before I signed up and told me
the
rest of your service is ****ing gash?

I think you're shooting the messenger for delivering TalkTalk's message...
Keith...
(It will cost you as much as the comment above, a few moments at
keyboard!)

Oh, and for what it's worth, did you do two minutes of "research" before
you
signed up ? What posts did you put in this newsgroup for views on TT, and
what websites did you check for positive or negative comments ? Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply, and after much consideration, I'd like to ask what
the circumstances that led to me being lumbered with this so-called ISP has
got to do with you?

I also use Claranews and am very happy. So the lines which you actually
pasted are completely irrelevant to me.

Sheesh.

So, I'd like to ask for an apology from you, for the few moments it takes,
for making assumptions for the circumstances that I find myself in. It
won't take you long apparently, just a few moments at the keyboard(!).

Best regards,

Graham

Old April 24th 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

In an earlier thread there were questions raised about whether Talk Talk
had
a Usenet. This is from them:

Thank you for your email.
I am sorry for the delay in replying.
I can confirm that unfortunately we do not have a news server.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards

TalkTalk
Correspondence Department

--
Keith Willcocks

Thanks for the reply Keith, it's good when ISPs are upfront and honest
about their service.

However, you could have done me a favour before I signed up and told me
the rest of your service is ****ing gash?

Why do you appear to be having a go at the OP, when it's obvious that he was
reporting on his correspondence with Talk Talk, rather than representing
himself as an employee of Talk Talk?

Old April 24th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 24 Apr 2006, "Trent SC" wrote:

Why do you appear to be having a go at the OP, when it's obvious that he was
reporting on his correspondence with Talk Talk, rather than representing
himself as an employee of Talk Talk?

Ah, you spotted that too :-) Clearly the level of "obvious" has to be
much higher for Graham to be able to notice it. Wonder if he will allow
a second observation to get past his "ignore what's written" filter! PM.