Getting started with Asterisk?

Old April 20th 06, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dizzley

Default Getting started with Asterisk?

Asterisk has really got my tinkering juices going.

I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
started building an Asterisk system for the UK?

I've visited http://www.asterisk.org

Cheers,
dizzley

Old April 20th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On 20 Apr 2006 04:16:21 -0700, "dizzley" wrote:

I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
started building an Asterisk system for the UK?

I've visited http://www.asterisk.org

Excellent! I guess you've got two choices, to use an easy setup system
like 'Asterisk at Home' http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ or to
build a system from scratch (in my opinion, if you're familiar with
Linux, the best option) on top of a standard Linux distribution such
as CentOS.

If you download the tarball from asterisk.org there are some basic
instructions inside, basically a ./configure and 'make' and you'll
have a very generic system. Modify the indications.conf for UK tones,
add some sip clients to sip.conf then you need to modify
extensions.conf to reflect your preferred method of dialing (a bit
more involved). Let me know if you need some config examples!

Rgds
Jonathan
Free SIP VoIP accounts at www.kcip.com
Old April 20th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Scot McSweeney-Roberts

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 04:16:21 -0700, dizzley wrote:

I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
started building an Asterisk system for the UK?

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ has a lot of information on asterisk,
including some info on UK related issues (such as Caller ID and using BT
Text from asterisk)

cheers

Scot
Old April 20th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
dizzley

Thanks everyone for coming up with the goods.

I think in the first instance I''ll try [email protected] then if I want to
play later I will do. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ looks handy too.

Diz

Old April 20th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

dizzley wrote:
Asterisk has really got my tinkering juices going.

I have an old PC, some linux skills. - Now, where do I go to get
started building an Asterisk system for the UK?

I've visited http://www.asterisk.org

Cheers,
dizzley

One of the nice things about [email protected] is that you can get a system
up and running (from scratch) within a couple of hours. You don't lose
any of asterisk's capabilities by installing AAH.

Excellent setup guide at:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/A...+Handbook+Wiki
And brilliant tutorials/ideas at: www.nerdvittles.com