my network places ...

Old April 21st 06, 01:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,24hoursupport.helpdesk
anthonyberet

Default my network places ...

I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.

The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run
the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
desktop from the laptop.

However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
desktop.

I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?
Old April 21st 06, 07:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Chris Whelan

anthonyberet wrote:

I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.

The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run
the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
desktop from the laptop.

However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
desktop.

I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?

Neither.

Right-click Start, select Properties - Customize... - Advanced. Scroll down
and check My Network Places.

HTH

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old April 21st 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Stand Up Old

"anthonyberet" wrote in message
I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.

The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run the
networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
desktop from the laptop.

However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
desktop.

I am not sure which machine is configured wrongly... any thoughts?

also if you have Firewall they should be configured to allow each machine to
see the other.

Old April 21st 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Rob Morley

In article
anthonyberet wrote:
I am setting up a home LAN, with wifi router, and one desktop with an
ethernet card and a laptop with a wifi card. Both machines run win xp pro.

The internet connection is working fine with both machines, I have run
the networking wizards on both, and I can now access shared files on the
desktop from the laptop.

However, I don't have a 'my network places' shortcut in my start menu on
the desktop, and don't know how to access files on the laptop from the
desktop.

You can just type \\hostname in the "Run" box or Explorer address box to
open an Explorer window showing the remote host, or \\hostname\sharename
to directly open the shared resource.