USB modem to Router upgrade.

Old April 20th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gobble

Default USB modem to Router upgrade.

Hi, i going to get ADSL max but having checked the bt site my voyager modem
might not be up
to the job.
Basically i'm looking for any reccomendations.

Old April 21st 06, 01:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Apr 2006 23:48, "Gobble" wrote:

Basically i'm looking for any reccomendations.

Depends a little on what you plan to do with your connection, now and in
the future, and what budget you have to spend on the router. Some would
suggest considering a router with VoIP facilities (if that is their main
interest), while others would consider getting one which is wireless for
you to be able to use a PC in another room. If you use some of the peer
to peer applications to share files with others, then some routers might
"keel over and die" (or need a reboot every couple of days) if you spend
under 150 quid. Personally (not being a user of peer to peer) I've used
a number of fairly low cost routers (I have helped a number of friend to
get online, and have a few spare routers "just in case" someone has some
problem). If you are wanting the budget end, check Dabs.com, Ebuyer.com
or Scan.co.uk and even Ebay - you might find DabsValue, Ebuyer, Safecom,
Origo and similar routers at 20-25 quid plus delivery. If you want some
router ready for ADSL 2+ then I'd suggest checking www.Solwise.co.uk for
models, as I know they have been selling datacomms kit for years and the
staff wouldn't touch kit they wouldn't use themselves.
Old April 21st 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gijsen

Gobble wrote:
Hi, i going to get ADSL max but having checked the bt site my voyager modem
might not be up
to the job.
Basically i'm looking for any reccomendations.

If it's a BT Voyager 100 USB modem it'll be OK. Used one last night on
my DSLMax, synced at 5.2 megabit (I'm a few KM from the exchange) and
downloaded at 410 KB/sec.

Anton
Old April 21st 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gobble

"Anton Gijsen" wrote in
message ...
Gobble wrote:
Hi, i going to get ADSL max but having checked the bt site my voyager
modem might not be up
to the job.
Basically i'm looking for any reccomendations.

If it's a BT Voyager 100 USB modem it'll be OK. Used one last night on my
DSLMax, synced at 5.2 megabit (I'm a few KM from the exchange) and
downloaded at 410 KB/sec.

Anton

I have a voyager 200.
I'm not intrested in wireless networking but p2p is a must , and VOIP would
be handy.

Old April 21st 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gijsen

Gobble wrote:

I have a voyager 200.
I'm not intrested in wireless networking but p2p is a must , and VOIP would
be handy.

What you're using it for doesn't really have any relevance on the
hardware. Unless you're after one of those "VOIP enabled" routers, which
I'm not quite sure how they work? Do they have a Skype client built in
or something, does anyone know?

Gobble, according to this:

http://www.names.co.uk/adsl-faqs.htm...esti on=#q107

it says your modem is compatible for up to 8 megabit, so I'd stick with
it and save your money if I were you.
Old April 22nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Anton Gijsen wrote:
Gobble wrote:

I have a voyager 200.
I'm not intrested in wireless networking but p2p is a must , and
VOIP would be handy.

What you're using it for doesn't really have any relevance on the
hardware.

Not true, as many of the budget routers do have problems with P2P
usage.....

Old April 22nd 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gijsen

kráftéé wrote:
Anton Gijsen wrote:
Gobble wrote:

I have a voyager 200.
I'm not intrested in wireless networking but p2p is a must , and
VOIP would be handy.

What you're using it for doesn't really have any relevance on the
hardware.

Not true, as many of the budget routers do have problems with P2P
usage.....

Having never owned a router I'll take your word for it. I suppose this
is because they have a maximum routing table size and/or connection
limit and/or inadequate port forwarding facilities ?