Wireless bandwidth

Old April 21st 06, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

Default Wireless bandwidth

Hi,

I have Linksys WAG354G router and just puchased two safecom wireless USB
adapters. The wireless USB adapters are connected to USB2. I have tested the
thoughput by tranferring a large file from a wired computer to a wireless
computer and not matter what I try I can not get over 2MB (16Mb) a second! I
know 54Mb is the theoretical speed but I expected a bit higher than 16Mb! Is
this normal? By the way this i with the router even in the same room and the
wireless adapter reporting 54Mb.

Thankyou

Dan

Old April 21st 06, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Walker

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hi,

I have Linksys WAG354G router and just puchased two safecom wireless USB
adapters. The wireless USB adapters are connected to USB2. I have tested
the thoughput by tranferring a large file from a wired computer to a
wireless computer and not matter what I try I can not get over 2MB (16Mb)
a second! I know 54Mb is the theoretical speed but I expected a bit higher
than 16Mb! Is this normal? By the way this i with the router even in the
same room and the wireless adapter reporting 54Mb.

It's a little low but to be honest not too bad. You'll never get above about
25mbps with standard 54g equipment. One of your problems could be the
safecom adapters. They're cheap and altough ok for internet access etc,
maybe not for high throughput. I dare say that if you bought some linksys
adapters you'll get a better result.

Rob

Old April 21st 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

On Friday, in article

"Rob Walker" wrote:

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hi,

I have Linksys WAG354G router and just puchased two safecom wireless USB
adapters. The wireless USB adapters are connected to USB2. I have tested
the thoughput by tranferring a large file from a wired computer to a
wireless computer and not matter what I try I can not get over 2MB (16Mb)
a second! I know 54Mb is the theoretical speed but I expected a bit higher
than 16Mb! Is this normal? By the way this i with the router even in the
same room and the wireless adapter reporting 54Mb.

It's a little low but to be honest not too bad. You'll never get above about
25mbps with standard 54g equipment. One of your problems could be the
safecom adapters. They're cheap and altough ok for internet access etc,
maybe not for high throughput. I dare say that if you bought some linksys
adapters you'll get a better result.

As explained elsegroup in the last couple of days, the 54Mbs figure it
the total both ways. You have to halve that for a start, so that's
27Mbs. Then you have to remember that a byte, 8 bits, gets sent using
more than 8 bits on wireless -- all sorts of error detection and
correction -- so your 2MBs needs more than 20Mbs. You're not a far down
as you might have thought.

Some of the same overhead exists on ADSL, so you have quite a bit of
headroom for an ADSL router.

One suggestion I've had is to put a bit more distance between the router
and my desktop PC, because of possible RF noise from the PC. Router
position can certainly affect signal strength, and hence useful range.
If I wanted to be able to reach the greenhouse, I'd put the router where
there was a line-of-sight through the window. That might help, if the
problem with your safecom adaptors amounts to lower sensitivity.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."