re only 6.5 Meg for my line?!

Old April 21st 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

Default re only 6.5 Meg for my line?!

Hello,

I used the option on the Pipex web site to test my line and find that
it is OK up to 6.5 Mbps.

I wonder whether that is a test of my actual line or simply a property
of all phones in my area?

If my line, can I get BT to improve the line to get the full 8 Mbps
and any higher speeds to follow? Or do I need to go cable?

Cheers

Geoff
Old April 21st 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

I dont know if that checker is based on the BT one, if it is it will reflect
records of your line that BT has...not always accurate. There is another
checker on www.dslzoneuk.ne which uses the stats from your modem/router.
The other thing to remember is adsl max is "up to 8meg and the info from BT
indicate that even if your line does sync with the exchange at the full 8128
the maximum actual down load you will get will be 7150. You will also find
that actual speeds do vary a lot more than on the former 2 meg lines due to
contention though will usually be considerably faster.
Hope this helps.
Alan

Old April 21st 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Alan" writes:
The other thing to remember is adsl max is "up to 8meg and the info from BT
indicate that even if your line does sync with the exchange at the full 8128
the maximum actual down load you will get will be 7150.

8128 is the highest number you're ever going to get, is it? Cos I ordered
`2, which will be 8 as soon as your exchange supports it' on Tuesday, and
8128/448 is what I've been seeing since yesterday morning. K3w1.
--
SAm.
Old April 21st 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:25:48 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

I dont know if that checker is based on the BT one, if it is it will reflect
records of your line that BT has...not always accurate. There is another
checker on www.dslzoneuk.ne which uses the stats from your modem/router.
The other thing to remember is adsl max is "up to 8meg and the info from BT
indicate that even if your line does sync with the exchange at the full 8128
the maximum actual down load you will get will be 7150. You will also find
that actual speeds do vary a lot more than on the former 2 meg lines due to
contention though will usually be considerably faster.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Alan - will try the URL above.

Cheers

Geoff

Alan

.. .

Old April 21st 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

wrote:

I dont know if that checker is based on the BT one, if it is it will reflect
records of your line that BT has...not always accurate. There is another
checker on www.dslzoneuk.ne which uses the stats from your modem/router.

Alan,

Just realised that the "t" went missing!

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/

Geoff

The other thing to remember is adsl max is "up to 8meg and the info from BT
indicate that even if your line does sync with the exchange at the full 8128
the maximum actual down load you will get will be 7150. You will also find
that actual speeds do vary a lot more than on the former 2 meg lines due to
contention though will usually be considerably faster.
Hope this helps.
Alan

.. .

Old April 21st 06, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
In article ,
"Alan" writes:
The other thing to remember is adsl max is "up to 8meg and the info from
BT
indicate that even if your line does sync with the exchange at the full
8128
the maximum actual down load you will get will be 7150.

8128 is the highest number you're ever going to get, is it? Cos I ordered
`2, which will be 8 as soon as your exchange supports it' on Tuesday, and
8128/448 is what I've been seeing since yesterday morning. K3w1.
--
SAm.

Your post doesn't make sense. What do you mean?

Dan

Old April 21st 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Cox

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:30:36 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

Sorry trying to type too fast! Hope that site helped.

Alan,

Yes, it gives more info than the Pipex one.

Cheers

Geoff