Swap required: 3-Com ADSL wireless modem/router for wirelesss router without modem

Old April 21st 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam Lipscombe

Default Swap required: 3-Com ADSL wireless modem/router for wirelesss router without modem

Folks,

I have a brand-new 3com wireless ADSL router that I stupidly bought thinking
it would work with a telewest connection. It wont (telewest is cable).

Does anyone want to straight-swap this for a wireless router that doesnt
have a built in modem? That I can plug into the telewest cable modem?
54 g preferred. I am in Bristol.

It doesnt matter if its not new as long as it works well.

Thanks -Adam

Old April 27th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gaz

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks,

I have a brand-new 3com wireless ADSL router that I stupidly bought
thinking
it would work with a telewest connection. It wont (telewest is cable).

Does anyone want to straight-swap this for a wireless router that doesnt
have a built in modem? That I can plug into the telewest cable modem?
54 g preferred. I am in Bristol.

It doesnt matter if its not new as long as it works well.

Thanks -Adam

Wouldnt it work if you turned off the dhcp server, and just used it as a
switch? I presume the cable modem output is just cat5?

Gaz

Old April 30th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:12:40 +0100, "Gaz" wrote:

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks,

I have a brand-new 3com wireless ADSL router that I stupidly bought
thinking
it would work with a telewest connection. It wont (telewest is cable).

Does anyone want to straight-swap this for a wireless router that doesnt
have a built in modem? That I can plug into the telewest cable modem?
54 g preferred. I am in Bristol.

It doesnt matter if its not new as long as it works well.

Thanks -Adam

Wouldnt it work if you turned off the dhcp server, and just used it as a
switch? I presume the cable modem output is just cat5?

No, because the router will only accept the ADSL interface as the
other side of the connection.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.