Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

Old April 21st 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Default Aterisk Hardware Expensive?

I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Asterisk but am daunted by
the Hardware cost.

Am I right in thinking that if I use Voip phones I only need one card
in the PBX to connect to the exchange line plus a network/ adsl
connection.

If so what are the best used Voip handsets to purchase, I've seen
Cisco models for sale but then I read about needing "power injectors"
and special line cords which treble the price.

If anyone can shed any light ? I'd be grateful.

I'm looking for home use 10 extensions etc. House is already wired for
cat 5. shared between data ,and analogue phones that go to an
analogue switchboard .One external line from the board goes to a BT
line via a Mitel LCR device and another goes into a Pap2 for cheap
VOIP calls

Chris
Old April 22nd 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
paul123

Chris wrote:
I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Asterisk but am daunted by
the Hardware cost.

Am I right in thinking that if I use Voip phones I only need one card
in the PBX to connect to the exchange line plus a network/ adsl
connection.

If so what are the best used Voip handsets to purchase, I've seen
Cisco models for sale but then I read about needing "power injectors"
and special line cords which treble the price.

If anyone can shed any light ? I'd be grateful.

I'm looking for home use 10 extensions etc. House is already wired for
cat 5. shared between data ,and analogue phones that go to an
analogue switchboard .One external line from the board goes to a BT
line via a Mitel LCR device and another goes into a Pap2 for cheap
VOIP calls

Aterisk Hardware Expensive? - daunted by the Hardware cost. -

It doesn't have to be expensive. An old PC (500mhz + 256 ram) + another
4 Pap2s + a sipura 3000 ATA for your incoming PSTN calls and you're
there. With your current PAP2 that gives you 11 extensions. A minimum
system like that should be able to handle 2/3 calls at once. A faster
processor with more RAM will let you handle more.

You could possibly do away with one of your external lines. If you need
a 2nd (3rd, 4th or whatever) incoming line, why not use a (voip) geo
incoming number.

Cisco products are, um, pricey.

Old April 22nd 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

paul123 wrote:
Chris wrote:
[...]

I use two atcom AT-468's (which with the beta firmware that they sent me
has been solid as a rock). ($120 each+VAT).

It is a bit more expensive than a PAP2, but does support G.729 and G.726
simultaneously on all 4 channels (so no need to transcode or pay for
licences for the asterisk server reducing bandwidth utilisation and
runtime.)

They also support T.38 (which with the T.38-patch for asterisk at the
moment will allow you to utilise this in pass-thru mode), which makes
them more useful for sending faxes than by using a TDM card (if you
terminate with a supplier who supports this).

(I haven't tested the T.38 functionality beyond seeing the ATA request
it's use).

If you have 10/11 extensions that you will be using, then you will
probably need to use a compressed codec for audio traffic (like G.729)
on a normal broadband connection and preferably a supplier that supports
trunked IAX (like gradwell, who only charge you a monthly fee if you
require an incoming number).

You could possibly do away with one of your external lines. If you need
a 2nd (3rd, 4th or whatever) incoming line, why not use a (voip) geo
incoming number.

This is generally much cheaper, especially if you are routing your calls
using voip, and if you're not the OP should have been in the
asterisk-users mailing list :-p

Cisco products are, um, pricey.

Apparently it's because they work.
Old April 23rd 06, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
J C

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
paul123 wrote:
Chris wrote:
You could possibly do away with one of your external lines. If you
need a 2nd (3rd, 4th or whatever) incoming line, why not use a
(voip) geo incoming number.

This is generally much cheaper, especially if you are routing your
calls using voip, and if you're not the OP should have been in the
asterisk-users mailing list :-p

Cisco products are, um, pricey.

Apparently it's because they work.

My first ATA was a bt voice cisco (I think) one which was crap, at least it
didn't reliably ring an anolgue PBX line. I sent it back because of that and
because it was eating into my capped allowance.

Old April 23rd 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:25:32 GMT, Thomas Kenyon
wrote:

I use two atcom AT-468's (which with the beta firmware that they sent me
has been solid as a rock).

Any chance you could send me a copy of that firmware? Not to the
despammed address, though. That appears to be broken.
Old April 23rd 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

I use two atcom AT-468's (which with the beta firmware
that they sent me has been solid as a rock).

Any chance you could send me a copy of that firmware? Not
to the despammed address, though. That appears to be
broken.

Despammed has been broken for months. Damned annoying, but there it is :-(

Ivor

Old April 26th 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Chris" wrote in message
I'm thinking about taking the plunge with Asterisk but am daunted by
the Hardware cost.

Nothing in this world is free.
..
Am I right in thinking that if I use Voip phones I only need one card
in the PBX to connect to the exchange line plus a network/ adsl
connection.

Yes or an ATA but its beat to have some form of zaptel card even as a timing
source

If so what are the best used Voip handsets to purchase, I've seen
Cisco models for sale but then I read about needing "power injectors"
and special line cords which treble the price.

Cisco dont use the standard POEs but treble the price !!! even cisco cant
sell a POE for between 400 and 800 each
a normal standard POE is 15 and uses a standard cat5 lead

If anyone can shed any light ? I'd be grateful.

As above

I'm looking for home use 10 extensions etc. House is already wired for
cat 5. shared between data ,and analogue phones that go to an
analogue switchboard .One external line from the board goes to a BT
line via a Mitel LCR device and another goes into a Pap2 for cheap
VOIP calls

Whats the budget? Quality hand sets are between 70 and 150 POE is between
15 and 25 per port if you use midspans So for 10 extensions Budget
700 -1000, But bear in mind that the licences alone for a Nortel Cisco or
Mitel Voip system will be more than than.

Ian
www.cyber-cottage.co.uk

Old April 26th 06, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:43:01 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

I've seen used Cisco Voip 7905 handsets on the net for 10-20 which
I understand can be reprogrammed for SIP, what I don't understand is
power injection etc

Chris

.. .

.

Old April 26th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

I've seen used Cisco Voip 7905 handsets on the net for 10-20 which
I understand can be reprogrammed for SIP, what I don't understand is
power injection etc

Well Go for it ;-), But expect to be a bit upset though. The rrp for the
phone is about 100 the Sip licence 55 and a Cisco POE is 35. So if you
are expecting a 10-20 one to be OK and you are confdent that you can get
the firmware then you may have a bargain.

Ian