Should I downsize?

Old April 21st 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Faichney

Default Should I downsize?

My phone line is 8.1km long and my ADSL is flaky. The modem is out of
sync maybe 60% of the time, I get a good solid connection maybe 10%,
and the rest of the time it's up and down like a yoyo. I've had BT out
several times -- I learned early on to complain about the phone
service rather than broadband, to avoid having to deal with Plusnet.
When the modem fails to sync, there's crackling on the line, but it
usually tests OK, at least according to the auto-test thingy. I
sympathise with the engineers trying to find that kind of fault
because I was one myself, though long, long before the days of
broadband. Should have mentioned already, I had a filtered faceplate
put in soon after getting broadband, and it helped a little. And I got
an old Alcatel "frog" modem a while back, which is definately better
than anything else I've tried. I've heard that 256k ADSL is more
robust than 512k which is what I have, so my question is: is that
true, and is it worth spending about 30% more (for Zen's offering) for
half the speed -- will it be that much more robust? Opinions, please.
--
mind, matter, meaning and information at http://www.mmmi.org
Old April 21st 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 21 Apr 2006 Robin Faichney wrote:

I've heard that 256k ADSL is more robust than 512k which is what I
have, so ... is that true, and is it worth spending ... more

Opinions, please.

may find someone on 256 on the Zen Message Board at www.ADSLguide.org
Old April 23rd 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

"Robin Faichney" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried using a router? There are some routers that are optimised for
long lines.

Old April 23rd 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marty C

"Daniel" wrote in message

"Robin Faichney" wrote in message
My phone line is 8.1km long and my ADSL is flaky. The modem is out of
sync maybe 60% of the time, I get a good solid connection maybe 10%,
and the rest of the time it's up and down like a yoyo. .
--

Have you tried using a router? There are some routers that are optimised
for long lines.

Seconded, but that's a lot of dropped lines to pick up.

I too have a long line and had problems with drop outs until I replaced my
Linksys router with a Thomson (formerly Alcatel) Speedtouch 716 v5, since
when I have had no problems. The router has now been up and running
continuously for 36 days and is still going strong. I also experimented with
a Draytek with similarly good results, but they are more than twice the
price of the Speedtouch. You can however get older Draytek's on Ebay at
quite reasonable prices.

Did you know that you can get the line stats (attenuation and signal to
noise ratio) from the "Frog".

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

Post the stats here for someone to analyse, although I'm surprised that the
Openreach engineer didn't tell you what the problem is. Has an ADSL engineer
been out to see you?

Marty