the future of downloading tv shows?

Old April 21st 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default the future of downloading tv shows?

In a nutshell...

Disney/ABC are putting up 4 shows (including Desperate Housewives) up for
FREE download in a new service. The shows will have adverts but thats
soemthing to put up with for free.

This is the sort of thing I see as the future of broadband. I do not think
that it will ever replace television - nothing like curling up under the
duvet watching late night telly with your horlicks!! but I do think it is
part of the future for us all.

Its about giving people a choice. I don't mind adverts providing they are
not intrusive. I don't download movies and tv shows from P2P so this will
give me a chance to legally download some programmes. Although Desperate
Housewives will not be one of them :-)

Shows on the initial trial are Desperate Housewives, Lost, Commander in
Chief and Alias.

Old April 21st 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Its about giving people a choice. I don't mind adverts providing they are
not intrusive. I don't download movies and tv shows from P2P so this will
give me a chance to legally download some programmes

Legally bought DVDs now *force* so much sh*te at the LEGITIMATE BUYER
about no copying, followed in some cases by 5-10 minutes of adverts that
you CAN'T skip, that i`m more inclined than ever to just download them.

Since you`ve gone out and BOUGHT the feckin` thing, the least they could
do would be to let you skip the additional sh*te you didn`t ask for or
want on the disc.
Old April 21st 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:48:38 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , Colin
Wilson wrote:

Legally bought DVDs now *force* so much sh*te at the LEGITIMATE BUYER
about no copying, followed in some cases by 5-10 minutes of adverts that
you CAN'T skip, that i`m more inclined than ever to just download them.

You may bet your last red cent that once the studios start proper
official download sites, the ads will still be compulsory.

BTW you can always back up your DVDs, skipping any bits you don't
want.
Mark McIntyre
Old April 22nd 06, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

BTW you can always back up your DVDs, skipping any bits you don't
want.

The point is, you shouldn`t have to...
Old April 22nd 06, 01:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Colin Wilson wrote:
BTW you can always back up your DVDs, skipping any bits you don't
want.

The point is, you shouldn`t have to...

I think its wrong to have ads on a retail DVD as they are not cheap anyway,
but its acceptable on free stuff.

Old April 22nd 06, 07:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 00:46:33 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

BTW you can always back up your DVDs, skipping any bits you don't
want.

The point is, you shouldn`t have to...

Does anyone else find it ironic that, due to the producers own actions
to allegedly discourage copying, to make proper use of an item you've
legitimately purchased, you have to copy it?

Rgds
Jonathan

Old April 22nd 06, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 21 Apr 2006, Colin Wilson wrote:

Legally bought DVDs now *force* so much sh*te at the LEGITIMATE BUYER

No need to buy DVDs in this household, as there's no DVD player :-)

I don't remember renting any films from the Video libraries in the past
20 years, and why does anyone buy these things anyway ? Sorry, just a
feeling that much of what is distributed is a "watch once" thing, for
me at least. Films come on TV (again and again) and I cannot think
of much that I'd have watched only from buying a copy (or downloading
it, for that matter)... Perhaps there would be some concert or extras
for a film that I miss out on, but most ends up on TV these days, if it
is worth watching (and needs a bit or patience to wait for it, too :-)))
Old April 22nd 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Lynch

On 2006-04-22, poster wrote:
On 21 Apr 2006, Colin Wilson wrote:

Legally bought DVDs now *force* so much sh*te at the LEGITIMATE BUYER

No need to buy DVDs in this household, as there's no DVD player :-)

I don't remember renting any films from the Video libraries in the past
20 years, and why does anyone buy these things anyway ? Sorry, just a
feeling that much of what is distributed is a "watch once" thing, for
me at least. Films come on TV (again and again) and I cannot think
of much that I'd have watched only from buying a copy (or downloading
it, for that matter)... Perhaps there would be some concert or extras
for a film that I miss out on, but most ends up on TV these days, if it
is worth watching (and needs a bit or patience to wait for it, too :-)))

Well, I bought a DVD player a couple of years ago (cost ?39.99 a I
remember) as I'd been given some DVDs for xmas.

Having now played them (once) the player has been sat under my SKY
box gathering dust since then. I agree that once you've watched a
film, there's very little reason to watch it again.
Further, having seen a TV programme, I can think of no reason why
I would want to watch it again, let alone pay more for the privilege,
and if you missed a programme, it'll be on again in a few days
anyway.
(I do admit that some DVDs come with extras, but that's really only
superficial, I simply don't care about the actors personalities, or
how the programmes were made.)

Pete

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Old April 22nd 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

poster wrote:
On 21 Apr 2006, Colin Wilson wrote:

Legally bought DVDs now *force* so much sh*te at the LEGITIMATE BUYER

No need to buy DVDs in this household, as there's no DVD player :-)

I don't remember renting any films from the Video libraries in the
past 20 years, and why does anyone buy these things anyway ? Sorry,
just a feeling that much of what is distributed is a "watch once"
thing, for me at least. Films come on TV (again and again) and I
cannot think
of much that I'd have watched only from buying a copy (or downloading
it, for that matter)... Perhaps there would be some concert or extras
for a film that I miss out on, but most ends up on TV these days, if
it is worth watching (and needs a bit or patience to wait for it, too
:-)))

I am in agreement there. I have 2 DVDs and that is all. Not a collector,
not a great watcher of films. I think the last time I rented a video was
probably 15 years ago or more.

Old April 22nd 06, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:28:57 +0100, "Beck"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

In a nutshell...

Disney/ABC are putting up 4 shows (including Desperate Housewives) up for
FREE download in a new service. The shows will have adverts but thats
soemthing to put up with for free.

This is the sort of thing I see as the future of broadband.

snip

EG Not while we have download caps that make such a concept...
implausible, shall we say?

Martin D. Pay
Not inclined to watch TV shows or movies on his PC...