Belkin router

Old April 22nd 06, 11:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Wright

Default Belkin router

This morning I have no internet connection and almost no network. These
are handled by a Belkin FSD 7632-4 router. I disconnected the router
from the adsl phone socket and replaced it with my speedtouch modem
which immediately connected to the internet.

I can't even access the Belkin's configuration page. However all the
lights were on (until I disconnected it from the phone line) and I still
(even after disconnecting) seem to have some file sharing across the
network (only two PCs).

Can anyone advise me about this? Has the Belkin died? How do I find
out? Thanks.
--
Trevor Wright
Old April 22nd 06, 12:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Trevor Wright
says...
This morning I have no internet connection and almost no network. These
are handled by a Belkin FSD 7632-4 router. I disconnected the router
from the adsl phone socket and replaced it with my speedtouch modem
which immediately connected to the internet.

I can't even access the Belkin's configuration page. However all the
lights were on (until I disconnected it from the phone line) and I still
(even after disconnecting) seem to have some file sharing across the
network (only two PCs).

Can anyone advise me about this? Has the Belkin died? How do I find
out? Thanks.

I went through 3 in 3 months. Eventually got so fed up that when I took
number 3 back to the shop, I added another 25 to the refund and got a
Netgear instead.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 22nd 06, 12:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Conor wrote in
:

In article , Trevor Wright
says...
This morning I have no internet connection and almost no network.
These are handled by a Belkin FSD 7632-4 router. I disconnected the
router from the adsl phone socket and replaced it with my speedtouch
modem which immediately connected to the internet.

I can't even access the Belkin's configuration page. However all the
lights were on (until I disconnected it from the phone line) and I
still (even after disconnecting) seem to have some file sharing
across the network (only two PCs).

Can anyone advise me about this? Has the Belkin died? How do I find
out? Thanks.

I went through 3 in 3 months. Eventually got so fed up that when I
took number 3 back to the shop, I added another 25 to the refund and
got a Netgear instead.

I suspect that the modems within different routers have different degrees of
tolerance to poor line conditions.

A customer had bought a Linksys router (I forget with model, but it wasn't
the WAG54G which I'd have recognised) which was intermittently dropping its
ADSL connection and failing to reconnect. Her Alacatel "frog" modem that
she'd had originally, before she replaced it with the router, always
connected flawlessly. She decided to take Linksys router back to the shop
and replace it with a Netgear one. This connects a lot better than the
Linksys, but still sometimes takes a long time (about 5 minutes) to train
itself if it is rebooted.

The Netgear router does what the Linksys and the modem didn't: it gives an
indication of signal strength. Part of the customer's problem may be that
the upstream noise margin is very low: about 3dB, I think, even though the
downstream noise margin is a respectable 25 dB. Evidently the modem isn't
affected by this, the Netgear can usually tolerate it and the Linksys has
real problems.

Old April 22nd 06, 01:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Conor wrote:
I went through 3 in 3 months. Eventually got so fed up that when I
took number 3 back to the shop, I added another 25 to the refund and
got a Netgear instead.

I suspect that the modems within different routers have different degrees of
tolerance to poor line conditions.

It still wouldn't affect his ability to log into the router though.

Honestly, there are too many people having problems with the F5D7632-4
for it to be "just one of those things".

Given the lack of apparent technical nous on elementary IP stuff
exhibited by Belkin support last year, I'd avoid them like the plague in
future.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old April 22nd 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Wright

In message , Conor
writes

It still wouldn't affect his ability to log into the router though.

Honestly, there are too many people having problems with the F5D7632-4
for it to be "just one of those things".

Well.. (I'm the OP). After a time I unplugged the router from the mains
and plugged it back in. Now works perfectly.

Should I replace this? Is it seriously bad news?
--
Trevor Wright
Old April 22nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Trevor Wright wrote in
news
In message ,
Conor writes

It still wouldn't affect his ability to log into the router
though.

Honestly, there are too many people having problems with the
F5D7632-4 for it to be "just one of those things".

Maybe it is just one of several things due to flakey firmware.

Well.. (I'm the OP). After a time I unplugged the router from
the mains and plugged it back in. Now works perfectly.

Should I replace this? Is it seriously bad news?

Your call. Early Windows PCs needed rebooting several times a day
to overcome lockups due to software bugs. IME a decent router runs
for several months between reboots. So it depends on how often it
recurs as to whether you regard it as acceptable.

Also, suggest you check periodically for the availability of a
firmware update which may cure some of the bugs.

Old April 23rd 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Frazer Jolly
Goodfellow says...

Also, suggest you check periodically for the availability of a
firmware update which may cure some of the bugs.

Seconded.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old April 23rd 06, 12:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor Wright

In message , Conor
writes
In article , Frazer Jolly
Goodfellow says...

Also, suggest you check periodically for the availability of a
firmware update which may cure some of the bugs.

Seconded.

Yes, thanks.

I have downloaded a firmware upgrade but I'm wary of installing it
because (if I remember correctly) you have to then reconfigure the
router. This frightens me to death. Losing my internet and/or LAN
would be a disaster. If I just save the settings and reinstall the
saved settings, will that do it? Is that all that's involved? Is it
reliable and easy? Etc.

Many thanks.
--
Trevor Wright
Old April 23rd 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Trevor Wright wrote in
:

In message ,
Conor writes
In article , Frazer Jolly
Goodfellow says...

Also, suggest you check periodically for the availability of a
firmware update which may cure some of the bugs.

Seconded.

Yes, thanks.

I have downloaded a firmware upgrade but I'm wary of installing
it because (if I remember correctly) you have to then
reconfigure the router. This frightens me to death. Losing my
internet and/or LAN would be a disaster. If I just save the
settings and reinstall the saved settings, will that do it? Is
that all that's involved? Is it reliable and easy? Etc.

Suggest you not only save the settings, also write 'em down. For
each of my customers I create a text file into which I record the
settings, and leave the customer the file plus a printed copy,
which they promptly misplace.

Hence I also email a copy of the text file to myself and save it on
my server with the customer account details. That way a future
support visit can start without the typical 'voyage of discovery'
to find out WTF have we got here then?