Upgrade to 8 Meg ADSL

Old April 22nd 06, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

Default Upgrade to 8 Meg ADSL

My exchange (along with all the others?) was upgraded to 8 Mbit at the end
of March. The BT ADSL web site said that I should be able to get at least
4.5 Mbit so I decided to take advantage of the free upgrade my ISP is
offering from my current 2 Mbit to 8 Mbit.

Well it's now been activated and my router shows 8 Meg down and 400 K up.
But guess what, no increase in actual speed at all. Downloads still average
about 220 K/sec (as they did before) and every internet speed check I have
run, says that I still have a satisfactory 2 Mbit connection.

I am not particularly annoyed as it hasn't cost me anything, but I am a bit
disappointed. I shall raise this with my ISP's support line shortly, but I
wanted to check whether anyone else has experienced a similar non-event when
'upgrading' to 8 Mbit.

Cheers,

Old April 22nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:40:32 UTC, "Harry The Horse"
wrote:

Well it's now been activated and my router shows 8 Meg down and 400 K up.
But guess what, no increase in actual speed at all. Downloads still average
about 220 K/sec (as they did before) and every internet speed check I have
run, says that I still have a satisfactory 2 Mbit connection.

It can take a while for BT rate limiting to be taken off (should be
hours, but it has been up to 3 days). Also, there'll be a period of
'training'; it may be that it's trying too high a rate right now, and
getting lots of retries, thus lowerring the effective rate. Your router
stats may give a clue.

Or just sit back for a few days and let it stabilise. This is adaptive
technology and it takes a while.

(take a look at uk.net.providers.aaisp for the last week or three; lots
of stuff there).

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 22nd 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

wrote:

Well it's now been activated and my router shows 8 Meg down and 400
K up. But guess what, no increase in actual speed at all. Downloads
still average about 220 K/sec (as they did before) and every
internet speed check I have run, says that I still have a
satisfactory 2 Mbit connection.

It can take a while for BT rate limiting to be taken off (should be
hours, but it has been up to 3 days). Also, there'll be a period of
'training'; it may be that it's trying too high a rate right now, and
getting lots of retries, thus lowerring the effective rate. Your
router stats may give a clue.

Or just sit back for a few days and let it stabilise. This is adaptive
technology and it takes a while.

(take a look at uk.net.providers.aaisp for the last week or three;
lots of stuff there).

Thanks. I shall do that.

Old April 23rd 06, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Well it's now been activated and my router shows 8 Meg down and 400
K up. But guess what, no increase in actual speed at all. Downloads
still average about 220 K/sec (as they did before) and every
internet speed check I have run, says that I still have a
satisfactory 2 Mbit connection.

It can take a while for BT rate limiting to be taken off (should be
hours, but it has been up to 3 days). Also, there'll be a period of
'training'; it may be that it's trying too high a rate right now, and
getting lots of retries, thus lowerring the effective rate. Your
router stats may give a clue.

Or just sit back for a few days and let it stabilise. This is adaptive
technology and it takes a while.

(take a look at uk.net.providers.aaisp for the last week or three;
lots of stuff there).

Thanks. I shall do that.

Just to confirm I went from 512K to 4mb and it took just under 10 days to
settle.

Before that it was dropping all over the shop and speeds were up and down
over the 10 days.

Make sure you reboot your modem / router at less one a day, and leave it
connected for an hour a day, thats what my ISP said.

Cheers

Old April 23rd 06, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Fortunately my service is stable but appears to be capped at 2
Mbit. I talked to Tech Support yesterday and they confirmed what I have
been told on usenet. They said it could take up to ten days before the cap
is removed and I start seeing faster speeds. I guess I'll just have to
patient

Old April 23rd 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Harry The Horse wrote:

[Snipped Text]

Make sure you reboot your modem / router at less one a day, and leave
it connected for an hour a day, thats what my ISP said.

Thanks. Fortunately my service is stable but appears to be capped at 2
Mbit. I talked to Tech Support yesterday and they confirmed what I have
been told on usenet. They said it could take up to ten days before the cap
is removed and I start seeing faster speeds. I guess I'll just have to
patient

Interesting, thanks, I'm getting the same thing with Eclipse.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
Old April 23rd 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

Paul wrote:
[...]

The BT site shows my line capable of 6.5Mbit but I still only get a
2Mbit and a 220k download and that's after 3 months, so don't hold
your breath

That's not such good news

Old April 23rd 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Paul wrote on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 at
12:25:45:
The BT site shows my line capable of 6.5Mbit but I still only get a
2Mbit and a 220k download and that's after 3 months, so don't hold your
breath

The BT ADSL checker alone isn't enough. Your ISP needs to upgrade you to
ADSL Max. Has that happened? If so, what ADSL line speed is your
router reporting?
--
Tony
Old April 23rd 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 23 Apr 2006 "Harry The Horse" wrote:

Paul wrote:
The BT site shows my line capable of 6.5Mbit but I still only get a
2Mbit and a 220k download and that's after 3 months, so don't hold
your breath

Which ISP do you use ? Simply that IMO you should ask them to sort this
out with BT Wholesale. Clearly you were one of the trial users, and it
is the second poster I've seen (Alan Flavell in Glasgow on Plus.Net is
in this position too) to comment on still getting data at lower speed

That's not such good news

But something for the individual to report back to his ISP and them get
sorted out (and if we're lucky, explain what went wrong for them).
Old April 23rd 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

"Tony" wrote in message
Paul wrote on Sun, 23 Apr 2006 at 12:25:45:
The BT site shows my line capable of 6.5Mbit but I still only get a 2Mbit
and a 220k download and that's after 3 months, so don't hold your breath

The BT ADSL checker alone isn't enough. Your ISP needs to upgrade you to
ADSL Max. Has that happened? If so, what ADSL line speed is your router
reporting?
--
Tony

This from the router Data Rate
Downstream/Upstream 2272Kb/288Kb

According to my ISP My line has been upgraded to ADSL Max