Can customers on different services call each other free?

Old April 23rd 06, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

Default Can customers on different services call each other free?

Hi, here's an example scenario:

My mate is on Wanadoo (iConnectHere) service
I join voipcheap.co.uk

If I know his iConnectHere username, can I call him from my voipcheap
account? Is it the equivalent of a Skype-Skype call?

I will be using a VoIP Router, and he also has one. The only puzzle is they
only allow connection of a normal phone, which leads me to assume the answer
to my question is a big fat "NO!".

Which then begs the question... wasn't the whole beauty of VoIP in the 1st
place the fact you could make free PC-PC calls? So what's the point of VoIP
routers that can't?
--
Thanks,
Me

I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for it!

Old April 23rd 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris Smithers" wrote in message
. uk
Hi, here's an example scenario:

My mate is on Wanadoo (iConnectHere) service
I join voipcheap.co.uk

If I know his iConnectHere username, can I call him from
my voipcheap account? Is it the equivalent of a
Skype-Skype call?
I will be using a VoIP Router, and he also has one. The
only puzzle is they only allow connection of a normal
phone, which leads me to assume the answer to my question
is a big fat "NO!".
Which then begs the question... wasn't the whole beauty
of VoIP in the 1st place the fact you could make free
PC-PC calls? So what's the point of VoIP routers that
can't?

The whole point of VoIP to me is that I can have extra phone "lines" with
normal phones on the end of them in addition to the main BT line that ADSL
comes in on. If there's one thing I hate it's having to have a PC on in
order to make or in particular receive a call.

BTW what do you mean by a "VoIP router" - ? Do you mean an ATA (Analogue
Telephone Adaptor) which connects between a router and a normal phone..?
Or do you mean something else..? What devices exactly are you talking
about..?

If both devices and systems use the SIP protocol, then you (should) be
able to connect using the SIP address in the form
assuming the device you are calling from allows
that. If you are using normal phones this is difficult unless the ATA
allows alphanumeric characters in speed dial memories for example, so you
would need to have a peering agreement in place between the two networks.

Ivor

Old April 23rd 06, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

BTW what do you mean by a "VoIP router" - ? Do you mean an ATA (Analogue
Telephone Adaptor) which connects between a router and a normal phone..?
Or do you mean something else..? What devices exactly are you talking
about..?

Here is an example of a Wireless VoIP Router I plan to use:
http://tinyurl.com/fg9bf

If both devices and systems use the SIP protocol, then you (should) be
able to connect using the SIP address in the form
assuming the device you are calling from allows

I was hoping someone here might know for sure if Wanadoo allows this?

Old April 23rd 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
news

In message , Chris
Smithers writes

I was hoping someone here might know for sure if Wanadoo allows this?

You need to find out which networks are peers to your VoIP network. For
example, if you are a Voipfone customer:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Peering.php

So a Voipfone customer calling a Gradwell customer prefixes the number
with *472 and gets a free call.

--
Ian
Old April 23rd 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

"news" wrote in message
In message , Chris
Smithers writes

I was hoping someone here might know for sure if Wanadoo allows this?

You need to find out which networks are peers to your VoIP network. For
example, if you are a Voipfone customer:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Peering.php

So a Voipfone customer calling a Gradwell customer prefixes the number
with *472 and gets a free call.

Thanks news, that answers the question.

Now does anyone know who Wanadoo Wireless & Talk peer with? Their contact
e-mail form is down

Old April 23rd 06, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:11:35 GMT, "Chris Smithers"
wrote:

"news" wrote in message
In message , Chris
Smithers writes

I was hoping someone here might know for sure if Wanadoo allows this?

You need to find out which networks are peers to your VoIP network. For
example, if you are a Voipfone customer:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Peering.php

So a Voipfone customer calling a Gradwell customer prefixes the number
with *472 and gets a free call.

Thanks news, that answers the question.

Now does anyone know who Wanadoo Wireless & Talk peer with? Their contact
e-mail form is down

I don't about your service but if it is one of these 'locked' type
services then some don't peer at all. You can only call free 'on net'.
That's the price you pay for going for that sort of deal.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old April 23rd 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2006-04-22, Chris Smithers wrote:
Hi, here's an example scenario:

My mate is on Wanadoo (iConnectHere) service
I join voipcheap.co.uk

If I know his iConnectHere username, can I call him from my voipcheap
account?

You will also need to know the name of the SIP server he is registered with.
Then do [email protected]_server.

Being registered with voipcheap is immaterial for this to work.

Is it the equivalent of a Skype-Skype call?

Broadly speaking, yes.

I will be using a VoIP Router, and he also has one. The only puzzle is they
only allow connection of a normal phone, which leads me to assume the answer
to my question is a big fat "NO!".

Which then begs the question... wasn't the whole beauty of VoIP in the 1st
place the fact you could make free PC-PC calls? So what's the point of VoIP
routers that can't?

The abilty to make a SIP call via a provider's SIP server is controlled
by the provider not by your router or your mate's. So if an incoming
call is rejected it is down to the provider and is possibly seen by them
as giving the company some sort of commercial advantage.

If the technique above doesn't work exchange usernames and IP addresses
with your mate. Then use [email protected]_address to contact him directly.

Brian.
Old April 23rd 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

BTW what do you mean by a "VoIP router" - ? Do you
mean an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) which connects
between a router and a normal phone..? Or do you mean
something else..? What devices exactly are you talking
about..?

Here is an example of a Wireless VoIP Router I plan to
use: http://tinyurl.com/fg9bf

Yes that is a SIP device, you should be able to use most services (not
Skype..!) with this.

If both devices and systems use the SIP protocol, then
you (should) be able to connect using the SIP address
in the form assuming the
device you are calling from allows

I was hoping someone here might know for sure if Wanadoo
allows this?

I don't know what Wanadoo service you mean. I use them for my ISP but they
are not involved with any of my VoIP accounts.

Ivor

Old April 23rd 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I was hoping someone here might know for sure if Wanadoo
allows this?

I don't know what Wanadoo service you mean. I use them for my ISP but they
are not involved with any of my VoIP accounts.

It's called Wanadoo Wireless & Talk and they give you a VoIP router.

Old April 23rd 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Smithers

"Brian" wrote in message

You will also need to know the name of the SIP server he is registered
with.
Then do [email protected]_server.

Thanks, but where do I 'do' this? I.e. if I have a SIP device and use a
telephone handset to make calls (plugged into the SIP) as opposed to a
software + headset solution?

If the technique above doesn't work exchange usernames and IP addresses
with your mate. Then use [email protected]_address to contact him directly.

Sounds good. My same Q above applies though.