DrayTek Vigor2800V & Skype?

Old April 23rd 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel Molesworth

Default DrayTek Vigor2800V & Skype?

I've got a DrayTek Vigor2800V router with two VoIP ports, see
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800v.html

Can I use the Skype service with this device?

--
Nigel M
Old April 23rd 06, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in
message
I've got a DrayTek Vigor2800V router with two VoIP ports,
see http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800v.html

Can I use the Skype service with this device?

No. Skype uses a proprietary protocol, it can only be used with its own
software and is incompatible with anything else. It's fine for
computer-to-computer use but for "serious" VoIP usage you need to look at
one of the SIP providers.

Ivor

Old April 23rd 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Nigel Molesworth explained on 23/04/2006 :
I've got a DrayTek Vigor2800V router with two VoIP ports, see
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2800v.html

Can I use the Skype service with this device?

You can with a connected PC. What you can't do is use either of the
phone ports with Skype.

Old April 23rd 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nigel Molesworth

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:34:28 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

"serious" VoIP usage you need to look at one of the SIP providers.

I'm currently registered with DrayTel, but I thought that Skype was
the most popular provider, no?

--
Nigel M

Old April 23rd 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in
message news
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:34:28 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

"serious" VoIP usage you need to look at one of the SIP
providers.

I'm currently registered with DrayTel, but I thought that
Skype was the most popular provider, no?

Skype does not use the SIP protocol. It uses only its own proprietary
software. It is a standalone system that connects with no other.

Ivor

Old April 23rd 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Colin Forrester

datemas wrote:
OT-Are you using Draytel? How do you find it?

I have been using Draytel for over a year - now to provide a UK
geographic number in Spain. The first six months were not too good -
problems with the Draytek firmware and congestion with Draytel's
network. However the past six months have been very reliable.