Wireless network Speeds

Old April 23rd 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Daz

Default Wireless network Speeds

I need a little advice if poss.
I have Blueyonder 10meg which works flawlessly on my desktop which is
connected via ethernet cable to a belkin 54G 4 port router. When i do
the blueyonder speed test it correctly reports a 10meg connection.
My problem starts with my laptop which connects via a 54G wireless
Broadcom mini-pci card connection. I have no problems with the stability
of the connection or its set-up or security, i use wpa-psk, however no
matter where in the house i use the laptop both the blueyonder speed
test and Dan Elwells speed test report a 4 meg connection with Dan
Elwells speed test reporting a problem that should be investigated
further specifically Download speeds from UK servers apache.rmplc.co.uk,
the result was 1476 KB/s. I ran all tests with no firewall or antivirus
enabled. There is one floor of the house between the laptop and the
wireless router and distance does not seem to be an issue as the speed
issue happens anywhere.
All latest drivers/definitions installed all windows updates done.
Any ideas anybody, I am sure my wireless connection used to be faster
and I am sure i remember running the speed tests awhile ago and getting
the correct results,(cant remember just how long ago).
Thanks and sorry for long post.

Old April 23rd 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Daz

Gaz wrote:
Daz wrote:
[...]

have you tried messing around with mtu? It can make a huge difference on
adsl. I was setting up an adsl router the other day, worked fine with the
two desktop PCs connected, but the wireless was incredibly slow, changed the
mtu to 1492, and whoosh.............

Gaz

Thanks for the idea i will give it a go

Old April 23rd 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Daz
says...
[...]

What did you think would happen? Obviously your WiFi bandwidth isn't as
good as your ADSL so anything doing a speed test connecting to the
router via WiFi is going to report a lower speed. The speed test
reports the speed to your PC, not your router.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.