Wireless network software

Old April 24th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

Default Wireless network software

I've heard that the networking software in Win XP isn't very good and that
normally with WiFi network cards, in addition to the drivers, you get some
improved networking software. Unfortunately with the bundle bought there
isn't any.

Can anyone recommend any software and an opinion on if it's better than
Windows own?

Old April 24th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Fred wrote:
I've heard that the networking software in Win XP isn't very good and that
normally with WiFi network cards, in addition to the drivers, you get some
improved networking software. Unfortunately with the bundle bought there
isn't any.

Can anyone recommend any software and an opinion on if it's better than
Windows own?

Who said Windows built in wifi software wasnt any good?
I install networks for lots of home users and i never install
any of the software that comes on the CD with the product, just the
drivers. I used to but found myself having to go back too many times at
my own expence to change it over to the Windows wifi manager.
Old April 24th 06, 08:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
..(.)(.)..

wifi within XP is very stable and good.

Only other software I recommend is Odyssey WiFi Client - again only to
be used within a corporate setup that requires WPA and GINA

Old April 24th 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

"..(.)(.).." wrote in message
wifi within XP is very stable and good.

That has been my experience too (XP SP2). Better than the crap that came
with any of the cards I have seen.

Only other software I recommend is Odyssey WiFi Client - again only to
be used within a corporate setup that requires WPA and GINA

GINA? Isn't that some part of NT authentication?

Alex

Old April 30th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:43:16 GMT, Steve wrote:

Fred wrote:
I've heard that the networking software in Win XP isn't very good and that
normally with WiFi network cards, in addition to the drivers, you get some
improved networking software. Unfortunately with the bundle bought there
isn't any.

Can anyone recommend any software and an opinion on if it's better than
Windows own?

Who said Windows built in wifi software wasnt any good?
I install networks for lots of home users and i never install
any of the software that comes on the CD with the product, just the
drivers. I used to but found myself having to go back too many times at
my own expence to change it over to the Windows wifi manager.

Ditto, though on some cards it is not possible (??) to install the
drivers without the client also? If it is possible let me know how!

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old April 30th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Fred

"Fred" wrote in message
I've heard that the networking software in Win XP isn't very good and that
normally with WiFi network cards, in addition to the drivers, you get some
improved networking software. Unfortunately with the bundle bought there
isn't any.

Can anyone recommend any software and an opinion on if it's better than
Windows own?

I greatly appreciate all the replies which seem to give WinXP a resounding
thumbs up. One problem I seem to have is that windows doesn't always enable
the network on one PC with WinXP Home Edition and you have to enable it
yourself every so often. It also seems to be rather unreliable. There is
another network in the vicinity which this PC seems to pick up. However it
is obviously not a preferred network.

Thanks again for the replies.

Old May 2nd 06, 01:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave J.

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Andrew Hodgson' wrote:

Who said Windows built in wifi software wasnt any good?
I install networks for lots of home users and i never install
any of the software that comes on the CD with the product, just the
drivers. I used to but found myself having to go back too many times at
my own expence to change it over to the Windows wifi manager.

Ditto, though on some cards it is not possible (??) to install the
drivers without the client also? If it is possible let me know how!

Unless the drivers are compressed under some format without a public
decompression program, surely manually editing the .inf would do it?
(assuming that's why the programs always appear along with the drivers)

Dave J.
Old May 5th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Hodgson

On Tue, 02 May 2006 01:09:28 +0100, Dave J.
wrote:

In within
uk.comp.home-networking, 'Andrew Hodgson' wrote:

Who said Windows built in wifi software wasnt any good?
I install networks for lots of home users and i never install
any of the software that comes on the CD with the product, just the
drivers. I used to but found myself having to go back too many times at
my own expence to change it over to the Windows wifi manager.

Ditto, though on some cards it is not possible (??) to install the
drivers without the client also? If it is possible let me know how!

Unless the drivers are compressed under some format without a public
decompression program, surely manually editing the .inf would do it?
(assuming that's why the programs always appear along with the drivers)

On the specific card I am talking about there is a set of install
shield files but no inf. Having said that, I put one of these in a
machine and Windows Update did its thing, which is only one of the
really helpful times I have seen it work and actually get the exact
right driver!