PlusNet cancellation fiasco

Old April 25th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default PlusNet cancellation fiasco

Bansaw wrote:

Has anyone had a similar problem with PlusNet?

Initially I took the monthly 14.99 package. I phoned the telesales
guy up and asked him specifically "If I cancel this package, is there
any penalty, or fee I have to pay". He replied confidently that I
would only have to pay the price of the modem with was 25.00.

However, now I have cancelled it because I moved away, Plus Net are
saying that I have to pay the full year contract plus the modem at
quite a high cost. Apparently somewhere in the fine print when I
secured the order...

I wonder if anyone else here has had a similar experience with
PlusNet. I have searched around a bit and it seems a few people have,
saying that the cancellation policy is vauge.
Any comments?

Hopefully you printed, and kept, a copy of the T&C's which applied when you
signed up. What do *they* say?

Which specific package did you go for - there are lots?!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 25th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Bansaw wrote:
Has anyone had a similar problem with PlusNet?

Initially I took the monthly 14.99 package. I phoned the telesales
guy up and asked him specifically "If I cancel this package, is there
any penalty, or fee I have to pay". He replied confidently that I
would only have to pay the price of the modem with was 25.00.

However, now I have cancelled it because I moved away, Plus Net are
saying that I have to pay the full year contract plus the modem at
quite a high cost. Apparently somewhere in the fine print when I
secured the order...

If you signed up for a package on a 1 year contract you should expect to
have to pay for that year, whatever the sales folk said. Wait for Plusnet
to change the Ts & Cs adversely (probably won't be that long) and then you
can leave without penalty since they will have broken your contract
(although you may have quite an argument).

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old April 25th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:34:03 +0100, [Bansaw] said :-

Has anyone had a similar problem with PlusNet?

Would that also affect your computer clock ? The timezone/time is
wrong.

Old April 26th 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Bansaw" wrote in message

Has anyone had a similar problem with PlusNet?

Initially I took the monthly 14.99 package. I phoned the telesales
guy up and asked him specifically "If I cancel this package, is there
any penalty, or fee I have to pay". He replied confidently that I
would only have to pay the price of the modem with was 25.00.

However, now I have cancelled it because I moved away, Plus Net are
saying that I have to pay the full year contract plus the modem at
quite a high cost. Apparently somewhere in the fine print when I
secured the order...

I wonder if anyone else here has had a similar experience with PlusNet.
I have searched around a bit and it seems a few people have, saying
that the cancellation policy is vauge.
Any comments?

Always assume the drones on the phones are telling lies and read the T&Cs
before you sign anything.

Old April 26th 06, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Partac

Sadly, that's probably the soundest advice I've heard for a long time.
Applies in most of these telephone sales scenarios, where they will
simply tell you what you want to hear in order either to secure a sale
or just to get you off their backs.

Old April 26th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Apr 2006 "Partac" wrote:

Sadly, that's probably the soundest advice I've heard for a long time.
Applies in most of these telephone sales scenarios, where they will
simply tell you what you want to hear in order either to secure a
sale or just to get you off their backs.

While I'm sure that can be widely applied, it is unlikely with Plus.Net
as they don't handle any signups over the phone. Pre-sales and after-
sales support but no signups, so you have to use their website to get
an account and should be in a position to read their T+C. I know PN
did and probably continues to get things badly wrong, but if he has
signed into a 12 month contract (perhaps with "free" activation) I
cannot see an easy way to consider that he's been 'duped' really.
Old April 26th 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Old Codger" wrote in message
Bansaw wrote:
[...]

Nonsense. You might have an argument because unilateral changes are allowed
within the T&Cs.

Old April 26th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

steeler wrote:
"Old Codger" wrote in message
Bansaw wrote:
[...]

Plusnet may say that but, when push comes to shove, I think you will find
that sort of condition is unenforceable in a business to consumer contract.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field