Too Much Choice! Which ISP?

Old April 25th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuffed

Default Too Much Choice! Which ISP?

I'm sure this gets posted a lot here, but I've had enough of my ISP (F2S).
Not only am I paying 23 quid a month for a 512 service, but recently the
email has been completely unreliable, and the customer support is a joke.

On the face of it Tiscali and AOL both do packages that would pretty much
match my needs (though of course they're clear as mud about the actual
details when trying to get your cash), but I'd rather contract gangreen then
chew my own leg off than use either of them.

What I want is a decent news server, 6 or so pop3 boxes with at least 20M,
at least 50M webspace with php, sql etc, and no limit/ cap (though I don't
mind traffic shaping in uk evening peak hours, ie around 6 till midnight).

I'd be happy enough to stay with my antiquated actually unlimited package,
but since F2S got taken over the service is just getting too poor for my
needs - I require working email ffs!

Old April 25th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nut

Stuffed wrote:
I'm sure this gets posted a lot here, but I've had enough of my ISP
(F2S). Not only am I paying 23 quid a month for a 512 service, but
recently the email has been completely unreliable, and the customer
support is a joke.

On the face of it Tiscali and AOL both do packages that would pretty
much match my needs (though of course they're clear as mud about the
actual details when trying to get your cash), but I'd rather contract
gangreen then chew my own leg off than use either of them.

What I want is a decent news server, 6 or so pop3 boxes with at least
20M, at least 50M webspace with php, sql etc, and no limit/ cap
(though I don't mind traffic shaping in uk evening peak hours, ie
around 6 till midnight).

You reckon Tiscali/AOL offer all the above?! I don't think they do *ANY* of
the above!!

I don't know any ISP's which offer that on a home account... you're best off
getting a seperate ISP, webhost, and news feed.

www.diyhost.co.uk offer free hosting, without any banners, including PHP and
*ONE* SQL database.

The news server i am using is free - only requires [free] registration - but
i can't find the details now... i think i signed up online somewhere.

My ISP, UKOnline, have proved pretty decent. No messing around signing up,
no complaints about my bandwidth, no loss of service and their Customer
Service department actually answers the phone.

They're 14.99ukp a month, for 2meg unlimited ("Acceptable Use" applies, but
they've never complained to me and i'm a heavy user)... no NNTP server tho
and only one POP3 box - but i get 10 from diyhosts so don't need any more.

Old April 25th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuffed

"nut" wrote in message

You reckon Tiscali/AOL offer all the above?! I don't think they do *ANY*

of
the above!!

They seem to do the unlimited bit, and claim to do webspace and pop boxes...
But even if they could offer it all, I'd still try running a couple of
plastic cups and a bit of string to my exchange before using either of
them - Had run ins with both in the past, and from what I've read they've
not managed to get better...

I don't know any ISP's which offer that on a home account... you're best

off
getting a seperate ISP, webhost, and news feed.

www.diyhost.co.uk offer free hosting, without any banners, including PHP

and
*ONE* SQL database.

I only want it to play around with a few bits, nothing intensive. And have
been managing to do what I need with the one sql database anyway, just! I'd
be tempted to try out Cyberprog if I had to pay (seperately of course, I
know I'm paying for it in the price of my current ISP), but I don't really
fancy paying for something that gets used to dump the odd file on and play
with the odd bit of software for no real reason than curiosity.

The news server i am using is free - only requires [free] registration -

but
i can't find the details now... i think i signed up online somewhere.

I feel news access is one thing I definately want from an ISP, rather than
3rd party.

They're 14.99ukp a month, for 2meg unlimited ("Acceptable Use" applies,

but
they've never complained to me and i'm a heavy user)... no NNTP server tho
and only one POP3 box - but i get 10 from diyhosts so don't need any more.

Just had a look at their site - 24.99 for 2 meg unlimited, which is both
more than I currently pay (I'm not bothered about 2 meg, 512k does me fine)
and for a less complete package
Had it been 14.99 I'd have been a great deal more interested!

Old April 25th 06, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:27:27 +0100, Stuffed wrote:

Just had a look at their site - 24.99 for 2 meg unlimited,

That's for 8MB not 2MB

which is both
more than I currently pay (I'm not bothered about 2 meg, 512k does me
fine) and for a less complete package
Had it been 14.99 I'd have been a great deal more interested!

It's 9.99 for 1MB
Old April 25th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuffed

"Bob" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:27:27 +0100, Stuffed wrote:

Just had a look at their site - 24.99 for 2 meg unlimited,

That's for 8MB not 2MB
It's 9.99 for 1MB

Direct from their site:

Important: You are not currently on our network.
We will be delivering broadband services to your BT phone line using BT's
network, which means we are unable to offer you our lowest broadband prices.
Although 9.99 broadband is not available in your area, you can still choose
from our great unlimited broadband services below.

24.99 per month 25 connection fee
up to 2Mb download speeds

19.99 per month 25 connection fee
up to 1Mb download speeds

So, as I said, I can't get their 2 meg for 14 odd quid. If I could I'd be
happy to get a seperate cheapo hosting deal and news access elsewhere!

Old April 26th 06, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nut

Stuffed wrote:

[snip no joy]

So, as I said, I can't get their 2 meg for 14 odd quid. If I could
I'd be happy to get a seperate cheapo hosting deal and news access
elsewhere!

sorry to hear it

Old April 26th 06, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Niaz

"Stuffed" wrote in message

So, as I said, I can't get their 2 meg for 14 odd quid. If I could I'd be
happy to get a seperate cheapo hosting deal and news access elsewhere!

You could goto Zen for 256K at 17.99 including news-server
or adsl4less at 14.99 for 512k but no news-server & only 1 email address.

I think it's going to be difficult to find one package that does all for
you.
For Usenet you can use the german newsserver cis.dfn.de ?? for 8 a year.

--
Niaz
[..getting old & still playing video games ..]