BT BB all options now 8 Mbit/s

Old April 25th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default BT BB all options now 8 Mbit/s

At least that's what the BB page on bt.com is now showing!

Not that I've had any e-mail yet saying I could upgrade.

--
Chris

Old April 25th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Burnett

I'd suggest you contact them if you want to upgrade - but be aware it ties
you in to a 12 mth contract. I think you'll be waiting a long time waiting
for them to contact you! I got upgraded about 7 days after requesting it.

Old April 26th 06, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Chris" wrote in message
At least that's what the BB page on bt.com is now showing!

Not that I've had any e-mail yet saying I could upgrade.

--
Chris
7

Does anyone know how to get details to upgrade to ADSL MAX, you see im with
talktalk and can only get 1Mb in the past, ive tried asking them to regrade
but they dont know how and when it will be as they have to connect me
through BT's equipment, has anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Old April 26th 06, 06:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Martin Burnett wrote:

I'd suggest you contact them if you want to upgrade - but be aware it ties
you in to a 12 mth contract. I think you'll be waiting a long time
waiting
for them to contact you! I got upgraded about 7 days after requesting it.

Thanks, I'm aware of that. However, looking again at BT's site, although it
says 8 Mbit/s for all options, further down it says 'click on the upgrade
button for Options 2,3 and 4' but still 'click here to register your
interest' for Option 1 users.

--
Chris

Old April 26th 06, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Apr 2006 , Chris wrote:

Thanks, I'm aware of that. However, looking again at BT's site, although it
says 8 Mbit/s for all options, further down it says 'click on the upgrade
button for Options 2,3 and 4' but still 'click here to register your
interest' for Option 1 users.

They're giving priority to the most costly accounts first, I read on some
website. Might be faster switching ISP and getting the regrade done at
the same time. I spoke to the sales section at Eclipse the other day
and they confirmed this is what they're doing when people switch to
their 'evolution' range of products... I've nothing 'against' BT
BB (except it used to seem poor value when others offered mail + news
at a similar price or less). NB The cheapest Eclipse accounts exclude
access to their news service, so you may need to consider that aspect
if they were of any interest as an alternative ISP. Peter M.

--
UK ADSL http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 - Happy to save cash!!
Old April 26th 06, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Apr 2006, "John" wrote:

Does anyone know how to get details to upgrade to ADSL MAX, you see im with
talktalk and can only get 1Mb in the past, ive tried asking them to regrade
but they dont know how and when it will be as they have to connect me
through BT's equipment, has anyone had this problem?

The BT wholesale charges for regrades from 500k and 1000k is only a fiver.
If they don't have any knowledge of how and when, it's perhaps time to go
looking on www.ADSLguide.org for alternative ISPs, so long as you've been
with them at least a year (and can leave with minimal fuss/cost). Sorry,
but have not followed what TT has been doing for customers - they are now
full of the "Up to 8 Mbps" so maybe a few calls to their salespeople will
get them into gear for an existing customer... If not, an exit is better
than sticking with an unhelpful firm and still be left in the dark, IMO.
Old April 26th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]_reply_to_address.invalid

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:56:11 +0100, Chris
wrote:

Martin Burnett wrote:

I'd suggest you contact them if you want to upgrade - but be aware it ties
you in to a 12 mth contract. I think you'll be waiting a long time
waiting
for them to contact you! I got upgraded about 7 days after requesting it.

Thanks, I'm aware of that. However, looking again at BT's site, although it
says 8 Mbit/s for all options, further down it says 'click on the upgrade
button for Options 2,3 and 4' but still 'click here to register your
interest' for Option 1 users.

BT says on an order or upgrade for BB:
"Provision of Up to 8Mb broadband depends on our estimate of your
line speed being 1Mb or above. If the line speed checker returns an
estimate below 1Mb, we will provide 0.5Mb broadband."

Go to http://www.bt.com/index.jsp
Click on BT broadband.
Click on order or upgrade.
See 2nd para.under "Save 25 by completing your order on line!"

I read that as if you are on 0.5Mb you are stuck with it, but ICBW.

Entering my phone number in the checker says I might get 0.5Mb but
will requires a site visit from an engineer. I have had 0.5Mb for
last 18 months, 12 with BT, 5 with Metronet and then switched to
Eclipse 5 weeks ago. Line upgraded last night. Netgear router says
synched at 2240Kbs, with noise margin 6db. No problems so far!

So BT may not upgrade you, then switch to another ISP.

--
cerberus