Netgear DG834G noise margin readings

Old April 26th 06, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry

Default Netgear DG834G noise margin readings

When I log into my Netgear DG834G wireless router from my PC which is wired
to the router I see a downstream noise margin reading of around 11db. If I
login on my laptop using a wireless connection I see a reading of 22 db! I
have repeated this test several times today and get the same results.

Can anyone suggest an explanation?

TIA,
Terry_P
Old April 26th 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry_P

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:59:24 +0100, Terry wrote:

When I log into my Netgear DG834G wireless router from my PC which is wired
to the router I see a downstream noise margin reading of around 11db. If I
login on my laptop using a wireless connection I see a reading of 22 db! I
have repeated this test several times today and get the same results.

Can anyone suggest an explanation?

TIA,
Terry_P

The plot thickens. I have a network of 3 machines. A wired PC running on
Windows XP and a wireless connected laptop also running on Windows XP show
a noise margin of around 22db. A wired PC running on Windows ME shows a
noise margin of around 11db.
If I run the two XP machines together the noise margin is 22db. As soon as
I connect the WinME machine the noise margin drops to 11db. Clearly the
WinME machine is having a drastic effect on the reported noise margin.
What is going on?

Terry_P
Old April 27th 06, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Terry_P" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe the ME machine is infected with something, and is causing high data
transfer?

If the ME machine is on, but you change the default gateway of this PC to a
fictitious address, what happens?

Sparks...