BT Broadband Modem Help Needed

Old April 26th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew

Default BT Broadband Modem Help Needed

Hello group

I'm hoping that one or two knowledgeable people here can help. My father in
law has BT Broadband and uses a BT Voyager USB modem at the moment with the
BT CD installed. He is moving to a new computer and I would like to help
him set it up properly.

(1) Specifically I want to set the broadband connection up without the BT CD
being used as this customises and installs all of it's own stuff. Is this
okay and is it possible. Any help or suggestions (or will it just show up
on the new computer as a network connction (I wish)).

The Modem is USB only - should I buy a new modem or router? What would you
suggest? Will BT need to be told that it is a different device (MAC address
and all that?)

Sorry to sound vague - I have a little knowledge but not that much - all
help and comments appreciated.

Cheers

Old April 26th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:39:57 GMT, "Matthew"
wrote:

I'm hoping that one or two knowledgeable people here can help. My father in
law has BT Broadband and uses a BT Voyager USB modem at the moment with the
BT CD installed. He is moving to a new computer and I would like to help
him set it up properly.

(1) Specifically I want to set the broadband connection up without the BT CD
being used as this customises and installs all of it's own stuff. Is this
okay and is it possible. Any help or suggestions (or will it just show up
on the new computer as a network connction (I wish)).

I have never allowed any ISP to reconfigure my setup, if it can't be
configured manually then I wouldn't except it.

The Modem is USB only - should I buy a new modem or router? What would you
suggest? Will BT need to be told that it is a different device (MAC address
and all that?)

I would certainly recommend using a router, just set it up using the
ISP supplied information and away you go. I have changed my
modem/router several times in BT and never had to let them know. They
don't seem to care about the MAC address.

Old April 26th 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyer

"Matthew" wrote in message
Hello group

I'm hoping that one or two knowledgeable people here can help. My father
in law has BT Broadband and uses a BT Voyager USB modem at the moment with
the BT CD installed. He is moving to a new computer and I would like to
help him set it up properly.

(1) Specifically I want to set the broadband connection up without the BT
CD being used as this customises and installs all of it's own stuff. Is
this okay and is it possible. Any help or suggestions (or will it just
show up on the new computer as a network connction (I wish)).

The Modem is USB only - should I buy a new modem or router? What would you
suggest? Will BT need to be told that it is a different device (MAC
address and all that?)

Sorry to sound vague - I have a little knowledge but not that much - all
help and comments appreciated.

Get him to buy a ADSL/Modem Router, then it's just a straight forward
network connection from the pc to the router, no software needed. The CPU
will have less work to do as well. Since most routers have a built in
firewall, there's the added extra protection as well.

P.

Old April 26th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Apr 2006, "Matthew" wrote:

He is moving to a new computer and I would like to help him set it up properly.

Hopefully his new computer has an ethernet connection - if so, then a router
is going to be "plain sailing", and an improvement on USB, too, I'd expect.

(1) Specifically I want to set the broadband connection up without the BT CD
being used as this customises and installs all of it's own stuff. Is this
okay and is it possible. Any help or suggestions (or will it just show up
on the new computer as a network connction (I wish)).

If you have login details, essentially a username (like an e-mail address),
and a password that should be enough... I know some BT services don't even
need those however as they use some other means of ID - suggest using Google
at http://groups.google.com/ and searching for "BT Broadband logging in"
and similar searches.

The Modem is USB only - should I buy a new modem or router? What would you
suggest? Will BT need to be told that it is a different device (MAC address
and all that?)

As Flyer has indicated, many modern routers include a firewall (however, I'm
not sure they would necessarily be "enabled")... Nevertheless, because most
routers will work in NAT mode (Network Address Translation - it allow a one-
to-many address situation, one internet address shared by 1 to many local PC
systems) and in NAT mode, "unexpected" incoming traffic will be dropped so a
degree of protection exists without any firewall needing to be enabled - but
I'd still recommend using something like the free Kerio(/whomever it is now)
firewall on PCs, to block any "calls home"/detect some types of infection.

I'd happily suggest using either a brand new unit (eg an Origo 4-port, one
of the Safecom 4-port models, or something from www.solwise.co.uk ). I've
happily used models from the DabsValue range (but dabs.com may now be part
of PC World so prices might rocket), Ebuyer's models (but suggest avoiding
the 1-port ADSL modem/router models - cheaper perhaps, but the ones I have
seen are compact and get a bit hot, as do some other 1-port models). Even
Ebay might be worth checking. I've had routers from various places to try
out for myself, for spares, and to lend friends (one is still out on loan,
3 years on!) 4 years ago they were around the 70-90 quid (+VAT) but now
you can pay 25 to 45 +delivery (inc VAT) for modern versions of similar
routers... Most of the ones I've bought have 4 ports allowing 4 PCs, or
more (via a hub/switch) to share the connection. Some will come with a
(short) ethernet cable, filter(s), etc, to get you started,

Watch out when checking listings that you don't get a "broadband router" in
error. There are routers used without any ADSL modem (NTL/Telewest users
have an ethernet connection from their set-top boxes or other kit, so do
not need the 'ADSL' bits... ADSL modem establishes a link with the kit
at your local BT exchange, and will normally cause the spec for a router
to show G.dmt and other standards being supported, and quote speeds of up
to 8 Mbps for downstream, and up to 1 Mbps for upstream traffic. Higher
speeds may be in the spec for ADSL 2+ kit (eg some of the Billion units
at Solwise), but won't yet be usable if the exchange doesn't give higher
than 8 Mbps service (DSL Max).

Check www.ADSLguide.org for technical notes on ADSL and reviews of some
of the routers available. No need to go for wireless unless that's an
advantage (if you do, again use Google and look for "wi-fi security"
and "wireless security" as you could leave the router open to abuse
by any Tom, Dick, or Harry otherwise!) Good luck. Peter Morgan.

--
A few GB a month (at up to 8000 kbps) for 14.99 ? Yes!
See http://tinyurl.com/5jpa4 I'm happy to save cash!
Old April 27th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

wrote:

The Modem is USB only - should I buy a new modem or router? What would
you suggest? Will BT need to be told that it is a different device (MAC
address and all that?)

I would certainly recommend using a router, just set it up using the ISP
supplied information and away you go. I have changed my modem/router
several times in BT and never had to let them know. They don't seem to
care about the MAC address.

MAC addresses aren't used on ATM, your router's MAC address is for the
LAN side.

Old April 30th 06, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:39:57 GMT, "Matthew"
wrote:

[...]

In addition to what the others have said, I just wanted to point one
thing out:

(1) Specifically I want to set the broadband connection up without the BT CD
being used as this customises and installs all of it's own stuff. Is this
okay and is it possible. Any help or suggestions (or will it just show up
on the new computer as a network connction (I wish)).

It won't show up as another network connection, but I have managed to
get round the BT customisations by downloading the standard Voyager
drivers from the Voyager website - http://www.bt.com/voyager/.
However, the connection is still through the USB method, and uses
processor power for the DSL connections.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old April 30th 06, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , Andrew Hodgson
writes
wrote:

In addition to what the others have said, I just wanted to point one
thing out:

(1) Specifically I want to set the broadband connection up without the BT CD
being used as this customises and installs all of it's own stuff. Is this
okay and is it possible. Any help or suggestions (or will it just show up
on the new computer as a network connction (I wish)).

It won't show up as another network connection, but I have managed to
get round the BT customisations by downloading the standard Voyager
drivers from the Voyager website - http://www.bt.com/voyager/.

IIRC they're on the BT supplied CD, but the setup thingy installs all
the other stuff as well (without asking) so there's really no need to
download them again. Just pop the CD in but don't let it autorun, find
them on the CD, and run the executable that installs only the drivers.

I don't remember what it's called though, or where it is on the CD.
--
Ian Cummings