static ip

Old April 26th 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick

Default static ip

I've got an adsl connection which affords me two static IP.

if I connect a router on using static IP I only utilise one of them, can
I connect a second adsl router to the same line as the first and
configure to connect using the same password and username as before but
use the second IP address?
--
Derrick

Old April 26th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Derrick" wrote in message
I've got an adsl connection which affords me two static IP.

if I connect a router on using static IP I only utilise one of them, can
I connect a second adsl router to the same line as the first and
configure to connect using the same password and username as before but
use the second IP address?
--
Derrick

No. What you need is for the router to deal with the fact that it has 2
static IP addreses. Some routers you can configure a range of static IP
addresses allocated by your provider and then tell the router which internal
IP address to route the traffic to.
Sometimes, you have to turn off the routers NAT function, then set each PC
with its external IP address manually.

Old April 26th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick

In article , ABC [email protected]
ail.afraid.org writes

"Derrick" wrote in message
I've got an adsl connection which affords me two static IP.

if I connect a router on using static IP I only utilise one of them, can
I connect a second adsl router to the same line as the first and
configure to connect using the same password and username as before but
use the second IP address?
--
Derrick

No. What you need is for the router to deal with the fact that it has 2
static IP addreses. Some routers you can configure a range of static IP
addresses allocated by your provider and then tell the router which internal
IP address to route the traffic to.
Sometimes, you have to turn off the routers NAT function, then set each PC
with its external IP address manually.

I thought it'd be a non-nat solution. thanks.
--
Derrick
Old April 26th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Derrick wrote:

I've got an adsl connection which affords me two static IP.

if I connect a router on using static IP I only utilise one of them,
can I connect a second adsl router to the same line as the first

No: this is in principle impossible.

Your one and only ADSL connection, to your router, is responsible for
driving the line. You can't have two routers driving the same line,
they would only fight each other. Simple as that.

Your router is responsible for implementing the IP addresses, if you
need multiple addresses. If it can't be configured to do that, you'd
need to change it for one that can.

good luck
Old April 30th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:31:24 +0100, "ABC"
wrote:

"Derrick" wrote in message
I've got an adsl connection which affords me two static IP.

if I connect a router on using static IP I only utilise one of them, can
I connect a second adsl router to the same line as the first and
configure to connect using the same password and username as before but
use the second IP address?
--
Derrick

No. What you need is for the router to deal with the fact that it has 2
static IP addreses. Some routers you can configure a range of static IP
addresses allocated by your provider and then tell the router which internal
IP address to route the traffic to.
Sometimes, you have to turn off the routers NAT function, then set each PC
with its external IP address manually.

ANother thing is that he probably has three addresses actually, the
router's WAN address, and the two IP addresses (the /30 block). If a
router works in NAT mode, then it will most likely use the WAN address
as its public IP address and NAT traffic through it. You will need to
set up the router's LAN segment with the first of these two public IP
addresses, then set up the PC to use the second. You will then need
to turn NAT off on the router, and you have what you wanted.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.