Maximum PCs sharing BT Broadband

Old April 26th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Maximum PCs sharing BT Broadband

Hope someone can help?

We have just set up an office and have a BT Broadband account (not our
choice). It comes with the 2WIRE593 Wifi Router.

Our BT exchange only has a max speed of 1MB at the moment.

As we generally have 2-4 PCs sharing we had to take their SHARE
connection. Is there any reason why more than 4 PCs can't share the
same broadband connection using WIFI?

We generally have have more than 4 wireless devices attached to the
router at any one time and there doesn't seem to be much network
clogging. However, I haven't had 5 PCs in the office at one time to be
able to test whether it will take more than 4 devices online at once.

I assume it's more to do with bandwidth rather than devices? Am I
right? Or does BT have away of blocking devices using MAC addresses on
an account if you go over the limit of 4 users?

I don't really want to upgrade to BT's more expensive NETWORK
connection if we don't really have to...particularly as we can only get
a 1MB connection at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Old April 26th 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

So there is no real way they can determine how many PCs are using the
connection at one time and block it if you have more than your quota?
It is therefore really just a question of bandwidth?

If this is the case then why would they differentiate between a 45
SHARE product at 2MB for 2-4 users and a 65 NETWORK product at the
same 2MB speed for 5-20 users?

Old April 26th 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Apr 2006 wrote:

So there is no real way they can determine how many PCs are using the
connection at one time and block it if you have more than your quota?
It is therefore really just a question of bandwidth?

If this is the case then why would they differentiate between a 45
SHARE product at 2MB for 2-4 users and a 65 NETWORK product at the
same 2MB speed for 5-20 users?

To make more money ? As I mentioned, the ADSL "recommendation" over at
Claranet showed different accounts costing more for larger numbers of
PCs. In a way it might be to guarantee reasonable performance, but
at the basic levels of many intermittent uses during a day for a
person to browse some sites, use e-mail and so on, there's just
a bigger level of profit in it for them. Definitely, seeing the
prices you have quoted, worth a check on ADSLguide for alternatives!

Even 45 quid a months seems a bit costly... A firm I know has two ADSL
accounts (one on Plus.Net, one on Metronet [bought by PN, but a while
after they had opened that account]) Both are running at 2 Mbps and
in total I think they spend under 50 quid. They will be closing 1
of the accounts (reason for 2 ISPs - gives another way to reach the
mail server, in case one ISP has major problems with routing traffic)

They currently use one ADSL connection for e-mail (and the IT guy has
two PCs using the same link, so spots if ever there is a problem) and
the second ADSL connection is shared by up to 15 PCs around their two
buildings [side by side, on 3 floors]. He has a 24 port switch which
is connected to both ADSL routers. If one ISP link goes down, users
and mail would just share one connection for a while. Peter M.
Old April 26th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , poster
writes
On 26 Apr 2006 wrote:

As we generally have 2-4 PCs sharing we had to take their SHARE

What does that cost, please, and NETWORK option, out of interest?

gbp40.50/month (ex VAT)

I don't really want to upgrade to BT's more expensive NETWORK connection

Question is whether you need to stay with BT at all... Lots of other
choices, few others have hard and fast limits on how many PCs you add
to your side of the router...

I don't think BT do either, bicbw.

Their website only says "Ideal for..."

One or two 'recommend' different level
of service

I think that's all BT are doing - but again, icbw. It does seem to
suggest quite clearly though that it's an unlimited service...
--
Ian Cummings
Old April 26th 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

So there is no real way they can determine how many PCs are using the
connection at one time and block it if you have more than your quota?
It is therefore really just a question of bandwidth?

If this is the case then why would they differentiate between a 45
SHARE product at 2MB for 2-4 users and a 65 NETWORK product at the
same 2MB speed for 5-20 users?

Dunno - unless the contention ratio is different. As others have said (in
effect), your router will use NAT to share a single external IP address with
all connected PCs - and your network will look like a single connected
device as far as the remote end is concerned.

I don't know the particular router you are using, but unless it restricts
the number of wi-fi-connected devices in some way that other routers don't,
you should physically be able to share the connection with dozens of PCs if
you like. However, if they're all doing a lot of heavy downloading at the
same time, it will seem a bit pedestrian!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 26th 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}
writes
wrote:
So there is no real way they can determine how many PCs are using the
connection at one time and block it if you have more than your quota?
It is therefore really just a question of bandwidth?
If this is the case then why would they differentiate between a 45
SHARE product at 2MB for 2-4 users and a 65 NETWORK product at the
same 2MB speed for 5-20 users?

It could be that the cheaper one is on a 50:1 contention ratio and the
expensive one is on a 20:1 and so would be able to hit peak bandwidth
more often?

Yup - http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/broadband/sharechoose
--
Ian Cummings
Old April 26th 06, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Apr 2006, "Beck" wrote:

However if you have a 2-4 user plan with 20 computers they won't
give that support.

Not sure (short of them coming to the office) how they would know!