ADSL Hard Wired House

Old April 26th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gary McGuinness

Default ADSL Hard Wired House

I'm buying a house and want to totally broadband it up with hard wiring the
room's with RJ45 sockets, as you would get in a hotel, i.e. plug
laptop/desktop into socket in each room and have broadband from the socket
without having a modem in each room.

I wish to seek advice on how to go about doing this, do I need a router, and
what one would be suitable, I have a telephone engineer friend to do the
wiring but need advice on how to achieve this.

Any help/advice is very welcome.

Gary

Old April 26th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Gary McGuinness wrote:
I'm buying a house and want to totally broadband it up with hard wiring the
room's with RJ45 sockets, as you would get in a hotel, i.e. plug
laptop/desktop into socket in each room and have broadband from the socket
without having a modem in each room.

I wish to seek advice on how to go about doing this, do I need a router, and
what one would be suitable, I have a telephone engineer friend to do the
wiring but need advice on how to achieve this.

Broadband router, and several ethernet switches.
Depends how many outlets.
Old April 26th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

Gary McGuinness wrote:
I'm buying a house and want to totally broadband it up with hard wiring the
room's with RJ45 sockets, as you would get in a hotel, i.e. plug
laptop/desktop into socket in each room and have broadband from the socket
without having a modem in each room.

I wish to seek advice on how to go about doing this, do I need a router, and
what one would be suitable, I have a telephone engineer friend to do the
wiring but need advice on how to achieve this.

Any help/advice is very welcome.

Gary

Wire all the RJ45 points back to a small patch panel in one location.
Have a telephone point near that location.
Connect an (multiport) ADSL router to the phone line.
Connect as all the ports that you need to make live to the ports on the
patch panel. You may need to get a switch if you want to make all the
RJ45 points live all the time, (ie. able to connect to any/all points at
the same time without having to disconnect/reconnect anything), and the
number of points is more than the number of ports on the router. If so
connect the router to the switch (you may need a crossover cable, but
some switches these days have autocrossover ports built in.
ADSL routers usually come with 1 or 4 ports, well the ones I've seen
anyway. There may well be ADSL routers with more ports than that, but a
separate switch would be cheaper.
HTH

Ian
Old April 26th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott2k5

"Gary McGuinness" wrote in message
I'm buying a house and want to totally broadband it up with hard wiring
the
room's with RJ45 sockets, as you would get in a hotel, i.e. plug
laptop/desktop into socket in each room and have broadband from the socket
without having a modem in each room.

I wish to seek advice on how to go about doing this, do I need a router,
and
what one would be suitable, I have a telephone engineer friend to do the
wiring but need advice on how to achieve this.

Any help/advice is very welcome.

Gary

why not just implement wireless broadband?

you would buy a wireless broadband router to provide the broadband and some
wireless adaptors for the pcs.

eg netgear dg834pn router, wpn111 usb adaptor for the pcs.

Old April 26th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:38:46 UTC, Ian Jones wrote:

Wire all the RJ45 points back to a small patch panel in one location.
Have a telephone point near that location.
Connect an (multiport) ADSL router to the phone line.
Connect as all the ports that you need to make live to the ports on the
patch panel. You may need to get a switch if you want to make all the
RJ45 points live all the time, (ie. able to connect to any/all points at
the same time without having to disconnect/reconnect anything), and the
number of points is more than the number of ports on the router. If so
connect the router to the switch (you may need a crossover cable, but
some switches these days have autocrossover ports built in.
ADSL routers usually come with 1 or 4 ports, well the ones I've seen
anyway. There may well be ADSL routers with more ports than that, but a
separate switch would be cheaper.

Pretty well exactly what I've done. I have a single port router and a 32
port switch; there is a dedicated firewall machine in between them.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old April 26th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Dobson

Scott2k5 wrote:

I wish to seek advice on how to go about doing this, do I need a router,
and
what one would be suitable, I have a telephone engineer friend to do the
wiring but need advice on how to achieve this.

Any help/advice is very welcome.

Gary

why not just implement wireless broadband?

* Slower
* Prone to interference
* Less secure
* May be range issues
* Can't do structured cabling for your phones
* No fun!
Old April 26th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Apr 2006, "Gary McGuinness" wrote:

I'm buying a house and want to totally broadband it up with hard wiring the
room's with RJ45 sockets,

Good idea. You might want to consider double sockets to allow for multiple
PCs in a room, or to use one socket for voice, one for data... Later when
prices come lower, it will be a cable from wall socket to a phone, and on
a second cable from phone to the PC for the data (phone can then limit the
data rate so as to give priority to VoIP for the phone calls)... There are
also some socket doublers that allow two connections in room to go to some
distribution point (attic?) and split out so you could have voice and data
or two of either type sharing one cable to room - depends on time/amount
of your budget - but 2 cables to room also gives a backup in case of mice!

I wish to seek advice on how to go about doing this, do I need a router,
and what one would be suitable,

You could do with an ethernet hub/switch (12 to 24 port depending on number
of rooms you are cabling, and max number of PCs/sockets per room) plugged
into a single ADSL router. Depending on plans (B+B perhaps???) you may
even consider whether a second ADSL connection on another phone line
might be worth considering... Some backup options from ISPs can be
as low as 15 quid a month, or LLU service like Bulldog if you want to
have a second service independent of BT network altogether... and there
are devices to allow sharing of two WAN links, or make one default and a
second the backup. Edimax has a unit to handle 2 to 4 WAN links, I think.

Any help/advice is very welcome.

Depends a bit on layout of house. With an office environment, which I know
of (*) the cabling was dropped from the attic down the wall cavities to a
number of RJ45 sockets in each of the offices. All cabling was then fed
down trunking into a small 19" cabinet to hold a few patch panels, and a
24 port hub. In fact we put one hub for 100 Mbps kit, and used an old
10 Mbps hub (with BNC connector for a Novell network to be accessible
to any workstation). Perhaps overkill for a domestic installation with
all the light flashing, but without knowing the size of the property :-))

(*) but had no involvement with, short of suggesting firm to do the work,
to firm wanting it done [no commission for me: I knew both parties
and could see the solution needed, and who could do it]
Old April 26th 06, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sparks

"Gary McGuinness" wrote in message
I'm buying a house and want to totally broadband it up with hard wiring
the
room's with RJ45 sockets, as you would get in a hotel, i.e. plug
laptop/desktop into socket in each room and have broadband from the socket
without having a modem in each room.

I wish to seek advice on how to go about doing this, do I need a router,
and
what one would be suitable, I have a telephone engineer friend to do the
wiring but need advice on how to achieve this.

Any help/advice is very welcome.

Gary

The best way, if possible, is to wire it all back to one point

Consider doing the phones with CAT5 too while you are at it.

You need to buy a wired (or wireless) router
at least one network switch (If you can get gigabit, then do so)
I have a proper network rack cabinet (the glass door type) in my loft, and
everything goes back to this, mainly because I was given it!)
I have a 24 port patch panel - all the house CAT5e is wired into the back of
this. then I use short patch leads to connect into the switch I want.

If you had a telephone PABX installed, you could have another patch panel
wired to the outputs of this, then run patch cables from this to the sockets
you want to use with telephones. If you do this, it is always a good idea to
use different coloured patch cables for data and telephones, so you don't
end up plugging the switch into the telephone system!

If you don't need/want a PABX, then you can still wire you phones through
the CAT5 by connecting a row of ports in a patch panel to the single
telephone line (via the master socket, filtering it first if it is ADSL
enabled, or may be at a later date!)

To physically plug the phones into the RJ45 socket, you can get or make an
adaptor the changes an RJ45 socket into the usual BT socket.

I have 16 port 10/100/1000 switch, and a 24 port 10/100 with two 10/100/1000
ports (One is used to uplink to the other switch.

One wireless router and a cable modem are sitting on top of the cabinet, the
other (ADSL) router is in another room (This is also wireless, so it was
better to situate this in a different room to increase the wireless
coverage) both routers are just connected to the 24 port switch, one
directly, the other via a wall socket in the room.
I also have two further routers, just used as access points, again just
plugged into wall sockets that are patched into the 24 port switch.

I have set my IP address range to 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0
This means I can use addresses from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
I have set my routers to .1, .2, .3 and .4
One of the routers has DHCP enabled, I have assigned to range
192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.254 to this, as most of my stuff has a static IP
address (Mainly for remote access reasons!) it still leaves me with 55 DHCP
addresses, which is more than enough!

If you have more than one router, you need to disable the DHCP server on all
but one.

If you have multiple wireless access points (Or routers with a built in
wireless access point) you need to set the SSID and encryption key (and
type) the same, but keep the channels on 1,6 and 11 - if you have more then
three, keep the access points with the same channel as far apart as you can.

Hope this helps!

Sparks...

Old April 26th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

Gary McGuinness wrote in message
:

This reply is for everybody who has replied to my post.

I aim to do 6 points across the house, each bedroom (4 of them) will
have it's own BT line.
And my line (1 of the BT lines) will have the ADSL connection, and
then supply wired ADSL to each of the 4 bedrooms and kitchen and
living room. My bedroom will of course have my phone line and the ADSL
connection.

My Questions ?????

1) I need 6 connections, so I guess that means 6 ports ???
2) So I need to buy a router, can anybody recommended one, for the
purposes of this discussion exercise ????
3) several Ethernet switches, what is one these ??????
4) Some have 4 ports, but you can have 253 users, a bit confused by
this ??? 5) can I have a wired and wireless router in the same bit of
kit ????
Thanx for everybody's comments/help.

Router: something like Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G (both have 4 ports)

Switch: any 4-port switch from PC World

COnnect one of Netgear's Ethernet ports to input port of the switch (the one
which is spearate fromthe other four).

You now have seven ports and also a wireless router if you want to serve any
roaming laptops as well.

Old April 26th 06, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:39:24 +0100, "Gary McGuinness"
wrote:

This reply is for everybody who has replied to my post.

I aim to do 6 points across the house, each bedroom (4 of them) will have
it's own BT line.
And my line (1 of the BT lines) will have the ADSL connection, and then
supply wired ADSL to each of the 4 bedrooms and kitchen and living room.
My bedroom will of course have my phone line and the ADSL connection.

My Questions ?????

1) I need 6 connections, so I guess that means 6 ports ???

Yes.

2) So I need to buy a router, can anybody recommended one, for the purposes
of this discussion exercise ????

There are very few that come with 6 ports and a built in ADSL modem.

So you will either need to use two, or get a router with 6/8 ports and
a separate ADSL (ethernet) modem.

Or use Wireless for two of the connections.

3) several Ethernet switches, what is one these ??????

You shouldn't need any, unless they mean another router/hub.

4) Some have 4 ports, but you can have 253 users, a bit confused by this ???

Those are the wireless routers. They can have one connection to each
of the four wired ports, plus up to 253 wireless connections (but it
would be unusably slow with more than a dozen or so trying to make
significant use of it)

5) can I have a wired and wireless router in the same bit of kit ????

Almost all wireless routers are both. They will almost always have
four wired ports in addition to the wireless connection.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The calm confidence of a Christian with four Aces. - M.Twain