Netgear WGT634U http server router

Old April 27th 06, 02:06 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

Default Netgear WGT634U http server router

Is there any other router that will do this job? I want to run an http
server without having my PC switched on all the time, and the Netgear
WGT634U "Media Router" seems to be made for the job, but it's very hard to
come by. Everywhere I look they're either discontinued or out of stock, and
the reviews say they're unreliable and have problems with overheating. I'd
really like something like this which can store my website in a flash drive
and run silently in my bedroom. Should I try and get a WGT634U or is there
something better?

I don't understand why this sort of router isn't more popular, because if it
works it should allow anyone to have as much webspace as they like without
paying extra for it, or wearing out their PC by leaving it switched on 24
hours a day and all the fan noise that goes with it.

Old April 28th 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Gonyerself

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

There are a few on eBay for sale plus Amazon say they have them in stock.

Old April 28th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Burnett

What makes you think this router is an http server? I can't see anything in
the documentation that says it is. As far as I can see it simply allows you
to plug in a USB device. Also, I'm not sure this product was ever available
to the UK market..

Old April 29th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Stephen

Default Netgear WGT634U FTP server router

"Martin Burnett" wrote in message
What makes you think this router is an http server? I can't see anything
in the documentation that says it is. As far as I can see it simply

allows
you to plug in a USB device. Also, I'm not sure this product was ever
available to the UK market..

It certainly has been available in the UK. I guess maybe it isn't an http
server, but it should be at least an ftp server or similar since the
documentation says you can access your files from any PC that's connected to
the Internet using familiar “FileOpen” and “FileSave As” Windows commands.

Is there any other router that will do the job of an FTP server and let me
access the contents of my flash drive stick over the internet just by
plugging it into the router?