msn messenger cuts out at 1am

Old April 27th 06, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ron

Default msn messenger cuts out at 1am

Hi I have a friend who I talk to most nights using MSN messenger 7.5 He is
using UClub for his broadband internet connection. Every night, without
fail, at 1am his MSN messenger cuts out and he has to sign back in. Anyone
any idea what is going on?
Thanks Ron

Old April 27th 06, 03:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 27 Apr 2006 "ron" wrote:

Hi I have a friend who I talk to most nights using MSN messenger 7.5 He is
using UClub for his broadband internet connection.

What's "UClub" ? Some routers can be configured with access rules to allow
certain types of traffic at certain times of day. Really annoys a teenager
if MSN is blocked from 00:00 to 07:00 :-)

Old April 27th 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

poster wrote:
On 27 Apr 2006 "ron" wrote:

Hi I have a friend who I talk to most nights using MSN messenger 7.5
He is using UClub for his broadband internet connection.

What's "UClub" ? Some routers can be configured with access rules to
allow certain types of traffic at certain times of day. Really
annoys a teenager if MSN is blocked from 00:00 to 07:00 :-)

Do you know how to do this? MSN seems to be quite hard to block.

Old April 27th 06, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Grumps wrote:
poster wrote:
On 27 Apr 2006 "ron" wrote:

Hi I have a friend who I talk to most nights using MSN messenger 7.5
He is using UClub for his broadband internet connection.

What's "UClub" ? Some routers can be configured with access rules to
allow certain types of traffic at certain times of day. Really
annoys a teenager if MSN is blocked from 00:00 to 07:00 :-)

Do you know how to do this? MSN seems to be quite hard to block.

Cut and paste this into the host file on their PC:-

127.0.0.1 https://login.passport.com
127.0.0.1 login.passport.com
127.0.0.1 messenger.msn.com
127.0.0.1 messenger.msn.ca
127.0.0.1 www.msn.com
127.0.0.1 msn.messenger.net
127.0.0.1 hotmail.msn.com
127.0.0.1 loginnet.passport.com

Kills it dead IME

Old April 27th 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ron

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
ups.com...

Grumps wrote:
poster wrote:
On 27 Apr 2006 "ron" wrote:

Hi I have a friend who I talk to most nights using MSN messenger 7.5
He is using UClub for his broadband internet connection.

What's "UClub" ? Some routers can be configured with access rules to
allow certain types of traffic at certain times of day. Really
annoys a teenager if MSN is blocked from 00:00 to 07:00 :-)

Do you know how to do this? MSN seems to be quite hard to block.

Cut and paste this into the host file on their PC:-

127.0.0.1 https://login.passport.com
127.0.0.1 login.passport.com
127.0.0.1 messenger.msn.com
127.0.0.1 messenger.msn.ca
127.0.0.1 www.msn.com
127.0.0.1 msn.messenger.net
127.0.0.1 hotmail.msn.com
127.0.0.1 loginnet.passport.com

Kills it dead IME

Sorry it is UWclub/go-plus.net
http://www.go-plus.net/
and we don't want to stop messenger, we want to know why it cuts out at 1am

Ron

Old April 27th 06, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicola Redwood

. uk...

Grumps wrote:
poster wrote:
On 27 Apr 2006 "ron" wrote:

[...]

Can't say I've noticed this myself, but I'm rarely connected with MSN these
days to save bandwidth.
Could be that MS have to reboot a server somewhere or a backup device /
server takes over from a primary device / server or plain and simple routing
maintenance.
You can turn MSN logging on via Options, Connection, Advanced Options
Check router logs for anything
Check the Event log ( Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer )
Set up a test at www.l8nc.com to see if anything happens on your connection
at the same time

Old April 27th 06, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

"Nicola Redwood" wrote in message

. uk...

Grumps wrote:
poster wrote:
On 27 Apr 2006 "ron" wrote:

[...]

MSN uses a meagre amount of bandwidth. But I suppose if your with an ISP
like plusnet etc it all adds up!

Dan

Old April 28th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stu C

"ron" wrote in message
k...
Hi I have a friend who I talk to most nights using MSN messenger 7.5 He is
using UClub for his broadband internet connection. Every night, without
fail, at 1am his MSN messenger cuts out and he has to sign back in. Anyone
any idea what is going on?
Thanks Ron

IMHO Likely to be some setting in his modem \router or the ip lease assigned
to his network card (if using an ip address assigned via dhcp)...remember
having a similar thing on an old speedtouch modem which messed up my xbox
live sessions....

check network properties and likely to see a 'lease obtained', 'lease
expired' entry...