broadband knocked out by central heating

Old April 27th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default broadband knocked out by central heating

Andy the Yeti wrote:

Hi all,

Great site you have going here.

I?m hoping someone can help me with the following problem, my broadband
connection is being knocked out when ever my central heating thermostat
kicks in.

Is there something I can purchase to stop the interference affecting my
connection?

Many thanks for any help on this as it driving me mad !!!

Do you have an ADSL filter?
How close is your ADSL modem to the socket?
Is it when your thermostat kicks in, or when the boiler starts?
I.E. what happens if it's turned on by hot water.
Old April 27th 06, 07:53 PM
Andy the Yeti Andy the Yeti is offline
Junior Member

Smile broadband knocked out by central heating

Hi all,

Great site you have going here.

Iím hoping someone can help me with the following problem, my broadband connection is being knocked out when ever my central heating thermostat kicks in.

Is there something I can purchase to stop the interference affecting my connection?

Many thanks for any help on this as it driving me mad !!!

Cheers
Andy
Old April 28th 06, 03:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Andy the Yeti" wrote in
message ...

--
Andy the Yeti

Replace the thermostat with something a bit more modern (e.g. Honeywell
CM67).

or

Surf in the cold.

Old April 30th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Replace the thermostat with something a bit more modern (e.g. Honeywell
CM67).

its as likely to be the things turned on by the thermostat as the
thermostat itself. Boiler igniter, circulation pump, etc.

Phil

Old April 30th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 30-Apr-2006, "PhilT" wrote:

Replace the thermostat with something a bit more modern (e.g. Honeywell
CM67).

its as likely to be the things turned on by the thermostat as the
thermostat itself. Boiler igniter, circulation pump, etc.

We need to know what else is affected.
TV interference?
Try a medium/longwave tranny tuned between stations
to see if it goes bananas when the thermostat cuts in.
Trannies with ferrite rod aerials make good direction finders.
If it's knocking out broadband it's probably affecting other
things.