Zen and 'that' connection charge

Old April 28th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

Default Zen and 'that' connection charge

I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be good, but
to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no modem or
equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them before even
joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that when every other ISP
seems to make a living without such an outrageous upfront fee.

Old April 28th 06, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Sucuba Dude wrote:
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be
good, but to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no
modem or equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them
before even joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that
when every other ISP seems to make a living without such an
outrageous upfront fee.

?? Looks like 47 for both the Zen 800 pro and 8000 active.

Tim

Old April 28th 06, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Sucuba Dude wrote:
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be
good, but to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no
modem or equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them
before even joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that
when every other ISP seems to make a living without such an
outrageous upfront fee.

?? Looks like 47 for both the Zen 800 pro and 8000 active.

Tim

Plus a month in advance........

Old April 28th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
m...

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Sucuba Dude wrote:
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be
good, but to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no
modem or equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them
before even joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that
when every other ISP seems to make a living without such an
outrageous upfront fee.

?? Looks like 47 for both the Zen 800 pro and 8000 active.

Tim

Plus a month in advance........

To be specific:

ADSL service activation charge: 40.00
Monthly charge for Zen 8000 Active (GBP 21.27 per month): 21.27
Sub-total: 61.27
VAT 10.72
Total for initial payment: 71.99

Ongoing renewal costs for ADSL service (these will be payable at each
subsequent renewal):
Monthly charge for Zen 8000 Active (GBP 21.27 per month): 21.27
VAT 3.72
Total for ongoing payments: 24.99

Old April 28th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Tim Downie wrote:
Sucuba Dude wrote:
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be
good, but to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no
modem or equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them
before even joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that
when every other ISP seems to make a living without such an
outrageous upfront fee.

?? Looks like 47 for both the Zen 800 pro and 8000 active.

Tim

47 is the wholesale cost to activate ADSL. *Every* ISP using BTw has to
pay this when providing a new customer.

Zen choose to charge this up front. Other ISPs who don't will recoup the
costs elsewhere.

Regards,

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old April 28th 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message
.. .
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be good, but
to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no modem or
equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them before even
joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that when every other ISP
seems to make a living without such an outrageous upfront fee.

Zen aren't ripping you off. All they are doing is charging you what BT
charge them, upfront - so when you leave there's nothing to pay.

Most other ISP's claim free connection, but the reality is unless you are
signed up for 12 months, when you come to cancel - they will insist you pay
this charge then. The other ISP's factor this charge into their monthly
charge - so you are still paying it, but marketing gives the impression that
there's no charge.

Ask the ISP's that don't make this charge how long their minimum contract
period is? Most of them are 12 months. A few are even 18 months! With Zen,
if you're no happy with them you can give 1 months notice.

Been with Zen for 3 years, and they are very very good. Helpful support
staff, and the connection has been 99.99% reliable. In 3 years I've had 2
hours downtime (even then I think it was something to do with the exchange -
not Zen)

**SS**

Old April 28th 06, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

"SecretSquiddle" wrote in message

[...]

As far as paying in advance for a months service, that is common amongst
those ISP's that DO NOT insist on a 12 mth contract.
So it all seems fair and above board. As they say, you pay for what you get.
A well recommended ISP.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old April 28th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
Tim Downie wrote:
Sucuba Dude wrote:
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be
good, but to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no
modem or equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them
before even joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that
when every other ISP seems to make a living without such an
outrageous upfront fee.

?? Looks like 47 for both the Zen 800 pro and 8000 active.

Tim

47 is the wholesale cost to activate ADSL. *Every* ISP using BTw has to
pay this when providing a new customer.

Zen choose to charge this up front. Other ISPs who don't will recoup the
costs elsewhere.

Regards,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Training & Project Liaison Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc www.plus.net
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

Funny enough, I went with plusnet for the account. In fairness the service
has always been good, and nobody wants to pay 71 up front no matter how
easy it is to get out of the deal. The idea is to stay with the ISP if they
are OK. I am not saying that Zen are out of order or doing anything wrong.
However, asking for that amount upfront simply means we won't refer anyone
to them. Pity really.

Old April 28th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 28 Apr 2006 08:42 "Sucuba Dude" wrote:

"Tim Downie" wrote in message

Sucuba Dude wrote:
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be
good, but to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no
modem or equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them
before even joining.

You'll find many charge 47 quid, and most will have some fee for the
first month, also payable in advance. Welcome to the Real World !
You pay line rental in advance, and it is usual for ADSL service, too!

I am curious as to how they can justify that when
every other ISP seems to make a living without such an
outrageous upfront fee.

?? Looks like 47 for both the Zen 800 pro and 8000 active.

It was 50 +VAT a year ago. Came down to 40 quid in September 2005.

Anyone will find, if looking a bit more closely, that many ISPs have a
47 pound fee to cover activation, and/or a 12 month contract period.

Zen and others which offer 1 month contracts would be mad to not charge
the activation fee.

Go look around, and see how many you can find for your "every other ISP"
group that don't have some upfront fees (activation fee of 47 is common).

If you can find 10 (or even 5) I would be surprised, especially as you're
looking to pay around the 25 quid mark. You might get free activation
(but no hardware) for the 25 quid account from Demon, perhaps...

Old April 28th 06, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nicholas Thomas

Tim Downie wrote:
Sucuba Dude wrote:
I fell over laughing yesterday. I appreciate Zen are meant to be
good, but to want to charge nearly 70 to start up broadband (no, no
modem or equipment, just to start it) had me saying fairwell to them
before even joining. I am curious as to how they can justify that
when every other ISP seems to make a living without such an
outrageous upfront fee.
?? Looks like 47 for both the Zen 800 pro and 8000 active.

Tim

47 is the wholesale cost to activate ADSL. *Every* ISP using BTw has to
pay this when providing a new customer.

Zen choose to charge this up front. Other ISPs who don't will recoup the
costs elsewhere.

Regards,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Training & Project Liaison Home & Business @
|PlusNet plc www.plus.net
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------

Funny enough, I went with plusnet for the account. In fairness the service
has always been good, and nobody wants to pay 71 up front no matter how
easy it is to get out of the deal. The idea is to stay with the ISP if they
are OK. I am not saying that Zen are out of order or doing anything wrong.
However, asking for that amount upfront simply means we won't refer anyone
to them. Pity really.

It is funny how these things go . I was with another ISP at one point,
who connected me up for free and gave me a free bit of hardware. Three
months later I was forking out 70 to get out of the contact, and
begging zen to take me. Mind you, I got a free migration and house move
(not at the same time) out of it, so I guess it wasn't that bad of a deal...

xF,

....Nick