ISDN, DSL and POTS: help needed please

Old April 28th 06, 01:08 PM posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
M. Bayerer

Default ISDN, DSL and POTS: help needed please

Hello newsgroup,
we are three enthusiasted electronics amateurs and we got that idea into our
heads to build our own splitter box. I have a ISDN+ADSL connection at home.
Based on that connection we would like to separate the
a) DSL signal
b) ISDN signal
c) Analog telephone signal (POTS?)
with an appropriate self-implemented hardware setup.
Does someone have experience with this, which he / she would like to share
with me? Has somebody already implemented such a cicruit or could someone
explain to me how this is achieved best? A block diagram would be surely
helpful, because unfortunately we do not have much notion of the whole
telecom stuff.
Are there integrated solutions, i.e. special components, which one could
use? I would search for components myself but I don't have a clue under
which keyword those components are traded? It would also be helpful to know
something about the expected signal characteristics, e.g. voltage swing,
offset, frequency range, etc. I can remember something like voltage offset
of -60V at the POTS signal.... or something like that? What about the
ringing impulse with ISDN and POTS? It is definitely different with bioth, I
guess?!

Any kind of answer and held is highly appreciated.

Best regards Max

Old April 28th 06, 01:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
J C

M. Bayerer wrote:
Hello newsgroup,
we are three enthusiasted electronics amateurs and we got that idea
into our heads to build our own splitter box. I have a ISDN+ADSL
connection at home. Based on that connection we would like to
separate the a) DSL signal
b) ISDN signal

a&b are incompatible

Old April 28th 06, 01:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"J C" wrote in message
M. Bayerer wrote:
Hello newsgroup,
we are three enthusiasted electronics amateurs and we got that idea
into our heads to build our own splitter box. I have a ISDN+ADSL
connection at home. Based on that connection we would like to
separate the a) DSL signal
b) ISDN signal

a&b are incompatible

In the UK - not everywhere.

Old April 28th 06, 01:42 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,sci.electronics.components
Bob Eager

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:14:51 UTC, "J C" wrote:

M. Bayerer wrote:
Hello newsgroup,
we are three enthusiasted electronics amateurs and we got that idea
into our heads to build our own splitter box. I have a ISDN+ADSL
connection at home. Based on that connection we would like to
separate the a) DSL signal
b) ISDN signal

a&b are incompatible

Not in most countries. You did of course notice that the OP is probably
posting from Germany...didn't you?

--
Bob Eager
begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!
Old April 28th 06, 02:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

In sci.electronics.design M. Bayerer wrote:
[...]

ISDN + POTS can't coexist in current standards asfair. However it's all about
frequency domains.

ADSL can coexist with ISDN or POTS for sure. Details can be found in the
"Annex A, B, C".

From memory: (Just a very rough estimate!)
POTS: 300 Hz - 3 kHz
ISDN: 300 Hz - 160 kHz
ADSL: 200kHz - 1.5 MHz

Then there's SDSL which is Symmetric unlike ADSL. Which isn't meant for
consumers. As the meaning of life is to consume!

If your going to make a difference maybe an active filter would be worthwhile.
Passive filters can be found just about anywhere for a bargain.
Personally I would just buy things like this.

Old April 28th 06, 03:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
real_pixie

M. Bayerer wrote:
[...]

Hello,

I admit I don't know much about ISDN, so the following applies to normal
PSTN/DSL lines.

I can't be much help with circuit diagrams etc, but I do know that the
voice and DSL are separated by the use of bandpass filters, the DSL
operates on a carrier frequency outside the normal 3kHz bandwidth given
to the voice connection. You should be able to find the frequencies on
google...

I know that without a filter the DSL will operate, but may disconnect
when a voice call is made, this means that no special processing is
required for the DSL before passing to the modem.

It should be a fairly simple matter of designing a crossover to separate
the voice and DSL to separate outputs.

If you need any specific details you should you should be able to find
them in the published standards from the IEEE (Institute of Electrical
and Electronics Engineers)

Disclaimer: Hope that helps, but I work in international optical
networking, so I'm no expert in phone lines!

Kris.
Old April 28th 06, 03:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,sci.electronics.components
Ivor Jones

wrote:

M. Bayerer wrote:
Hello newsgroup,
we are three enthusiasted electronics amateurs and we
got that idea into our heads to build our own
splitter box. I have a ISDN+ADSL connection at home.
Based on that connection we would like to separate
the a) DSL signal
b) ISDN signal

a&b are incompatible

Not in most countries. You did of course notice that the
OP is probably posting from Germany...didn't you?

Using a btinternet.com email address..?

It's possible to have ADSL and ISDN on separate lines, even in the
backwaters of the UK..!

Ivor

Old April 28th 06, 04:02 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Bob Eager

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:58:51 UTC, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

a&b are incompatible

Not in most countries. You did of course notice that the
OP is probably posting from Germany...didn't you?

Using a btinternet.com email address..?

No, that wasn't the OP. That was the responder. Do keep up.

It's possible to have ADSL and ISDN on separate lines, even in the
backwaters of the UK..!

Of course it is. I have such a setup right here.

Old April 28th 06, 04:47 PM posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
J C

Alastair wrote:
"J C" wrote in message
M. Bayerer wrote:
Hello newsgroup,
we are three enthusiasted electronics amateurs and we got that idea
into our heads to build our own splitter box. I have a ISDN+ADSL
connection at home. Based on that connection we would like to
separate the a) DSL signal
b) ISDN signal

a&b are incompatible

In the UK - not everywhere.

Sorry if you live in Germany (for instance) things are different :-(

Old April 28th 06, 04:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,sci.electronics.components
J C

M. Bayerer wrote:
Hello newsgroup,
we are three enthusiasted electronics amateurs and we got that idea
into our heads to build our own splitter box. I have a ISDN+ADSL
connection at home. Based on that connection we would like to
separate the a) DSL signal
b) ISDN signal

a&b are incompatible

Not in most countries. You did of course notice that the OP is
probably posting from Germany...didn't you?

No I didn't actually, I would have thought the OP would have found more help
in German groups, if that's where the OP lives rather than crossposting to
so many uk groups