Vonage or Freetalk

Old April 29th 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BB

Default Vonage or Freetalk

Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
features, but what about the service and reliability?

Thanks, BB

Old April 29th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

"BB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
features, but what about the service and reliability?

Thanks, BB

Hi BB
I have Freetalk and really like it. Call quality has been very good
overall-no noticeable difference to a landline. Plus you dont get dropouts
or lag like you can get on Skype. In fact I have to be careful I dont get my
handsets mixed up with the landline dect phones I have as the only way I
know thedifference between Freetalk connection and Telewest is to dial 1571
to hear the voicemail greeting! (one of my dect phones seems to like
switching base when switched off now and again!) The only thing you have to
watch is that you are charged 3p a minute if you go over an hour in a call.
Vonage do not do this as the calls are ruly unlimited. Vonage also offer
access to the emergency services whereas Freetalk do not. I thought of
trying Vonage myself but read some ropey reviews of their customer services.
You can get Vonage in Comet which is handy if you must give it a go and
Freetalk is supposedly in all DSG stores but in practice I had to go to PC
World.
Fred.

Old April 30th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Ingle

BB wrote:

Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
features, but what about the service and reliability?

I've got a Vonage account, though I signed up to the US service as I
wanted inclusive calls to the US, plus a US number (I think this costs
extra with the UK service). With the US service, this costs 14.99 US
dollars and includes 500 minutes to the US and Canada.

The voice quality is excellent, even for other international calls; and
in all the time I have had it, I've never had a problem with
reliability.

I used to use VOIPfone, but although they were cheap, the call quality
was very variable, and at times terrible; when dialing internationally,
it was often difficult to get through.
Old April 30th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Kenyon

Mark Ingle wrote:
BB wrote:

Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
features, but what about the service and reliability?

I've got a Vonage account, though I signed up to the US service as I
wanted inclusive calls to the US, plus a US number (I think this costs
extra with the UK service). With the US service, this costs 14.99 US
dollars and includes 500 minutes to the US and Canada.

The voice quality is excellent, even for other international calls; and
in all the time I have had it, I've never had a problem with
reliability.

I used to use VOIPfone, but although they were cheap, the call quality
was very variable, and at times terrible; when dialing internationally,
it was often difficult to get through.

I'm thinking of getting an incoming service from voipfone. Has anybody
else been suffering these problems?
Old May 5th 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

"Thomas Kenyon" wrote in message
Mark Ingle wrote:
BB wrote:

Anyone had experience of these two. Vonage has a couple of useful extra
features, but what about the service and reliability?

I've got a Vonage account, though I signed up to the US service as I
wanted inclusive calls to the US, plus a US number (I think this costs
extra with the UK service). With the US service, this costs 14.99 US
dollars and includes 500 minutes to the US and Canada.

The voice quality is excellent, even for other international calls; and
in all the time I have had it, I've never had a problem with
reliability.

I used to use VOIPfone, but although they were cheap, the call quality
was very variable, and at times terrible; when dialing internationally,
it was often difficult to get through.

I'm thinking of getting an incoming service from voipfone. Has anybody

else been suffering these problems?

ditch these cheap unreliable providers -theres no such thing as a free lunch
remember!

Old May 5th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
fred

wrote in message
news
On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:54:57 GMT, "fred"
wrote:

ditch these cheap unreliable providers -theres no such thing as a free
lunch
remember!

Nothing unreliable about Voipfone Fred sure you don't mean Sipgate
when you say "cheap unreliable providers"

Quite possibly-I get mixed up by al these voip names!

Old May 5th 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

ditch these cheap unreliable providers -theres no
such thing as a free lunch
remember!

Nothing unreliable about Voipfone Fred sure you don't
mean Sipgate when you say "cheap unreliable providers"

Quite possibly-I get mixed up by al these voip names!

Take no notice of him Fred, he has a bee in his bonnet about Sipgate.

Ivor